Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install a SoYouStart or Kimsufi server using an ISO image using VNC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install a SoYouStart or Kimsufi server using an ISO image using VNC

pechspilzpechspilz Member
edited January 2015 in Tutorials

If you don't want to shell out money for getting temporary access to a physical KVM adapter you could try to use QEMU to boot the server in an virtual environment in OVH's rescue mode instead.

Check it out:
https://trick77.com/2015/01/17/how-to-set-up-virtual-kvm-vnc-console-ovh-server/

Probably not relevant for CentOS users since this feature is already built in: http://www.centosx.com/install-centos-remotely-through-vnc/

But may come in handy for Debian and Ubuntu server users.

Note1: Might not work for everyone since the CPU needs to support the VMX extension or because the server needs proprietary drivers (i.e. RAID hw-controller)

Note2: KVM = Kernel-based VM, KVM switch = Keyboard Video Mouse switch/adapter

Thanked by 2NeoXiD LaXiS

Comments

• Well step one is to actually be lucky enough to get a SoYouStart server.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • True. Could get even harder once they roll out the new SSD options in 2 weeks.

• Nearly all the new servers on OVH come with IPMI built in. Add another user using ipmitool, launch java IPMI using their manager, open the .jar file with a text editor and put the IP address in a web browser. From there you get full IPMI (supermicro for me) where you can mount a remote ISO and do all sorts of things.

If you want to access it again you need to re-download the .jar file from the manager, as the IPMI IP address changes between sessions. When you reinstall the server through the manager it also removes your ipmi user and any custom IPMI settings!

• @TheCTS said:
    Well step one is to actually be lucky enough to get a SoYouStart server.

Seems to be a good selection available today. I have been monitoring their page for the last 2 weeks, waiting for the Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 with 3x300 GB SSD drives to become available again.

• OvidiuOvidiu Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Nearly all the new servers on OVH come with IPMI built in. Add another user using ipmitool, launch java IPMI using their manager, open the .jar file with a text editor and put the IP address in a web browser. From there you get full IPMI (supermicro for me) where you can mount a remote ISO and do all sorts of things.

If you want to access it again you need to re-download the .jar file from the manager, as the IPMI IP address changes between sessions. When you reinstall the server through the manager it also removes your ipmi user and any custom IPMI settings!

Apparently with the soyoustart server line you need to pay extra for IPMI, right? But I'm curios, I'm in the rescue mode and I can access the ipmitool, would you mind sharing some more info how one would proceed if one had access to this tool?

• I just recently got my hands on a SyS server from OVH and got one of the supermicro machines. E5-1620v2 which has the ipmi functionality, but the control panel doesn't have the "ipmi" tab to launch the connection. I got the local private ip 10xxx address via ipmitool but don't know how to connect to it. any ideas?

• You've to rent the IPMI/KVM device it's not included