Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kexec (possible ksplice alternative for free) your thought?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kexec (possible ksplice alternative for free) your thought?

TazTaz Member
edited August 2012 in General

Since Ksplice is something new LEB providers can only dream of, I have been researching for a pretty while now for a ksplice alternative and stumbled upon kexec https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kexec.

Looks promising, documentation available online. But the big question, anyone ever tried this? Will it blend ;)

Comments

• If i understand it correct, the system is still kinda rebooted. Hardware initialisation will be skipped, but there will be no direct switching without any downtime for the clients.

This has the effect of reducing the time required for a reboot. [...] Using kexec consists of actually rebooting to the pre-loaded kernel. [Source]

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2012

Even if you installed it, you would still need to stop all OpenVZ servers (and probably the same for KVM and Xen too). You effectively just reboot half the OS.

• I used it like 5 years ago.And well, it crashed, but it must work for some configurations.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@NinjaHawk said: Since Ksplice is something new LEB providers can only dream of

:sigh:

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

It is a shame that Ksplice went up that much.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk , it's a shame KSplice sold out to Oracle / we were lucky enough to have one license from before Oracle take over - so we are legacy but still don't like the fact we are legacy ... fantastic service, If I had known , I would have bought a boat load for 3.95 per month - dang it !

Thanked by 1klikli