Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

what's the right price for selling CloudCache.net

what's the right price for selling CloudCache.net

jeffpanjeffpan Member
edited July 2012 in Domains

I have owned it for years. would like to know the price for selling it. :p

Comments

• Move to domains please :)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Do you have the .com?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member without signature

Nope theres a real company running on the .com http://www.cloudcache.com/

I guess your best bet would be selling it to the guy who already owns the .com, noone else will be able to use the .net

• @gsrdgrdghd I think you are right,:P

• To the right buyer, I would expect 100$+.

• It's difficult to say, to be honest.

CloudCache.com has been registered about a year longer than yours, and they're selling a product.

The idea of people spending a lot of money on domain names is so that they in turn can make a lot of money off them. Since they got there first, you could be slapped for causing confusion between the two sites, and charged for the 'damages' they can make up if you try and sell anything off it.

I had a similar situation when I registered a ccTLD of a top 50 website - Not worth it.

So in short, it'd be difficult persuading someone to actually buy the domain name in the first place.

• another way of making cash is to look at game franchises like World of Warcraft, or Elder Scrolls, look at "potential" new expansions, or new "zones" that have been roumered, register their domain, such as mopexpansion or mopwow or something similar, the company sometimes pays out for such domains.

I think there was something similar with Skyrim..

• yomeroyomero Member

MOVE to DOMAINS!!!

PLEASE

• InfinityInfinity Retired Staff

moved it

我是一个巨魔 (;

• yomeroyomero Member

@AsadHaider said: OCD much?

No, I am just starting to hate LET...

• bamnbamn Disabled

@ElliotJ said: Since they got there first, you could be slapped for causing confusion between the two sites, and charged for the 'damages' they can make up if you try and sell anything off it.

Care to quote some law or legal theory because that's 100% hogwash

• @bamn said: Care to quote some law or legal theory because that's 100% hogwash

Well, although it is a complete over simplification of the subject and I'm not a lawyer by any means, it could be viewed as Passing off. Yes, I know it's a Wiki article, however the majority of other references came from the UK/EU, which might not exactly apply to the USA.

Of course, that'd only apply if the product sold under the brand was similar - But as we're talking on a hosting specific forum, I'd presume the intention for use (if sold on this forum) would indeed by of similar nature as the .com.

If I've misinterpreted passing off, let me know.