Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial LET introduction thread! - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unofficial LET introduction thread!

Comments

• @jarland: hehe. That's all I really can say.

• Hi, my name is Jan and I'm from Bratislava, Slovakia (less than one hour by car to Vienna, Austria). Pleasure to be here with you, fellow geeks! :)

• Hi @Voss, thanks for the link. Was Hostel a good movie? (I haven't seen it). You may be aware that "not a single sequence was actually shot in Slovakia" (ref., filming locations at IMDB. I think of our country as charming and beautiful, and it's one of my favorite places in the world (I've been to about 20 countries on four continents so far).

If you're interested, here is a short (2 min. 47 sec.) video which features some of the favorite tourist destinations in the Slovak Republic: http://bit.ly/Wt1put

• @Voss Hmmm... Eurotrip? Another Slovakia-bashing movie and again one which was shot entirely abroad? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356150/locations Man, those movie makers should get a break... :)

Just tried to embed a YouTube video but it didn't work for some reason. Vimeo seems fine. Odd.

• Oh hey, I never did one of these, huh?

Paul, originally from China, now in Japan.

'Sup folks?

• @jan said: Hi @Voss, thanks for the link. Was Hostel a good movie? (I haven't seen it). You may be aware that "not a single sequence was actually shot in Slovakia"

Well, time to call the travel agent... I hope my deposit is refundable. Sigh.

I am Kris and I bring Red October.

Born in NJ, but for complicated political reasons I'm moving to Denver.

• Hey Paul (@Wintereise), howdy! :)

@Kris, feel free to share your Denver story if you feel like it... And what's the Red October thing?

• fislefisle Member
    edited November 2012

Hey all, I'm a 21-year old guy from Finland. Working at a smallish company as sysadmin/programmer. My interests include but are not limited to: cars, motorcycles, GNU/Linux systems, virtualization, networking and networking / application security. When it comes to computers, I tend to be kind of 'jack of all trades, master of none' kind of guy, but well, life is a learning process.
    I feel like I am a bit of 'elitist' when it comes to things I like. What I mean by that is if I know there is some better ways to do something, or ways to develop myself, I'll look into that. That also goes for things I get, it's an endless cycle :-)
    I am young and might not know best, but I'm trying to learn something new every day. Despite spending a lot of time in front of the computer, I found the joys of gym 6 months ago, and started jogging two weeks ago.
    I feel like this site is a good value for time. I really enjoy lurking here, never been too fond of posting much. I like the drama here, too, as I suppose that's the reason everyone is here for ;-)
    What I really like here is way how you manage to squeeze the extra bit out of hardware, especially from lowend systems. Since I introduced myself to GNU/Linux 6 years ago, I found myself going for minimalism without sacrificing functionality.
    Woah that was a huge wall of text. Greetings to everyone.

• Welcome to the community @fisle - decent intro :)

• Hi, I'm Brian, and I don't run a VPS operation, I am just a customer. However, some of the technologies used in VPS land are the same or similar to what I use in HPC land, which is where I currently find employment as a sysadmin. Occasionally, such things are talked about here, so I figured I monitor or at least get entertained by the drama :- )

Wifey is a webdeveloper, so I also keep an eye out for various dedicated server deals and reliable VPS offers to prepare an environment for her. I've recently decluttered my home from various desktops running as servers to running those services on VPS and saving the money on electricity and hardware failures.

• Welcome Brian!

• Hello LET! Since I'm pretty new around let me introduce myself in a couple of sentences. I'm a 21-year old IT student from Hungary, and I work as a web developer. All I can say I'm still pretty greenhorn in this VPS atmosphere, but I'm very enthusiastic about knowing more. The reason I'm here right now could be because I've just found myself having 5 LEBs almost unwittingly. It feels like I'm on drugs or something. :) So far I have a box for running my own sites, one for my clients' sites, and one as a VPN server. The rest ... well, that's why I'm here to find out :)

• Welcome, Chio!

• OttoYiuOttoYiu Member
    edited December 2012

Hi LET! Here's my go at a quick introduction: I'm Otto, from Canada, and I work as a web developer and sysadmin. I currently run several server/website backup operations (unfortunately, not in the LE price range).

I'm also working to start off a web development/internet property portfolio. I will most likely be asking the community for input in the future regarding open source opportunities (i.e. what applications you want developed and released for free)!

I currently own 9 LEBs which are mostly idle (got to find a use for them) so hopefully, I'll find some use for them once I become active in this community.

Anyways, that's it for now :D

• hello LET guru, it in middle of the night when i wrote it, so have a nice talk. thx

• Welcome OttoYiu and webelance.

• Hmmmm how come this thread feels like a bad AA meeting?

I live in sunny Michigan, I had a job once then I couldn't do it anymore. I found this place by searching and decided to join. I still don't know why I joined I don't post too much. I had a name once also but I seem to have forgotten what it was. Most people call me AZ.

I know a few things about somethings and a lot about nothing. Guess that is about all.

• Hey.. I am Shahid from UK. I will be launching a VPS Hosting service soon :)

• @OttoYiu said: I'm Otto, from Canada, and I work as a web developer and sysadmin.

Hey, I saw you on IRC, but you left after a few seconds :P

• @cybje said: Only disadvantage is that the MooseFS master is not high available. In my case this is not a problem, because I only need the redundancy. If the MooseFS master is down, I have to do a manual failover to another server that has the metadata saved.

@cybje have you tried GlusterFS?

• @ChimpCloud said: Hey.. I am Shahid from UK. I will be launching a VPS Hosting service soon :)

Hey, cool. Good luck.

• @Raymii said: have you tried GlusterFS?

Yes, but it's bit more difficult to install and manage. Although GlusterFS has more features, I don't need most of those features. Also, in MooseFS it is possible to set the replication amount per file/directory, instead of per volume.

If for some reason MooseFS development stops, I will probably migrate to GlusterFS.

• I'm Sarah, from the UK. We've been running a successful GSP for 18 months now, while offering VPS to the same customers. We've been building our hardware/network over the last few months and are soon to offer VPS under a dedicated brand.

**I am not the only one who posts on this account.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

I'm jacob from the UK, 16.

I enjoy motorsport, drifting, motorcross and have been all the way to the south and back to the north to watch race events.

I have been in two datacenters, worked on servers, and enjoy running EaseVPS as a passion and not really for the money, but it does help.

I prefer working with hardware and building, rather than working with boring old software. I do hesitate answering tickets, and often find my self sleepy when doing so, I prefer providing support over the phone.

Thanks for listening to my life story. :)

• @ShardHost said: I'm Sarah, from the UK.

Hi Sarah, welcome!

• @Jacob said: I'm jacob from the UK, 16.

You're not new, so welcome back will do >_>

• Long time lurker, recently registered member.
    I'm a 22-23 years old guy from Greece. Inb4 "browsing LET to find cheap VPS" or "LOL bankrupt".
    Got some low end VPSes to run honeypots, run OpenVPN, data backups and general testing.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

@Random_Dude said: LOL bankrupt

Damn you, I was going to say that. ;p

Welcome ;)

• @Random_Dude said: LOL bankrupt

Haha, welcome.

• Hi my name is Mark and I am addicted to internet forums ;-) I have lurked here for a while, I am using LEBs for a variety of uses. I am a linux evangelist and been windows free since 1996, but am still forced to use it in the day job, although Im working on that! I provide IT support for a number of charities I work with and develop embeded systems for fun, currently working on a telescope drive system