Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

What would you expect for $50?

What would you expect for $50?

BrandonBrandon Member
edited July 2012 in General

I am just curious to see the specifications of a dedicated server you'd expect for this price point. This is in terms of hardware and network.

Comments

• dual core cpu 2-4GB of RAM 500-1TB single HDD 100mbps port 1-5TB of BW, depending on the location

Pretty much this is the things you can get for that price

• DamianDamian Member

@liquidhost: Please sign up with us.

For $50, i'd expect the same as Liquidhost, but with at least 8gb of ram, 1tb of disk, and 5 to 10tb of transfer. Servers are so cheap/resource-heavy nowadays, it's hard to charge people a lot of money for few resources and maintain a straight face about it.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
    Thanked by 2dominicl upfreak
  • Would you guys expect this hardware to be brand new or used?

• @Damian If you offer me the server you wrote down for 50$..count me in as a long term customer xD

• DamianDamian Member

@Brandon said: Would you guys expect this hardware to be brand new or used?

Does not need to be new, I would just expect that it is both adequate, and reliable.

• Would you expect it to come with an IPMI as well?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member

I'd expect a dual core Intel Atom with 2GB of RAM, 2 HDDs, a /29 of IPv4, and an excellent network with free reboots. Anything else is icing on the cake. For an idea, check out Interserver.net, best dedicated provider I've ever used and the support was the best I've ever encountered among any service.

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, TX, and AZ
    Test our network here: Drgn.biz
  • TazTaz Disabled

@kujoe fdcservers ain't that bad!

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• JTRJTR Member

i3-2100 16GB RAM 500GB HDD 1TB @ 1gbps

Well, that's what I have for $49, so that's what I'd expect.

However, since I got a deal for my dedi and thus it's not the typical config you'd get for $50, this is what I'd expect from any other provider...

Dual core Intel CPU, or quad core AMD CPU 4-8GB RAM Small HDD or tiny SSD At least 1TB @ 100mbps.

Service-wise, I'd expect unmanaged service, with KVM access if I was lucky.

Thanked by 1wahyan
  • @JTR where from?

• @JTR said: i3-2100 16GB RAM 500GB HDD 1TB @ 1gbps

Well, that's what I have for $49, so that's what I'd expect.

Who is that from?

• You can get the following dedi from VolumeDrive for $49.95:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 620 (4 cores) RAM: 4 GB DDR2 Memory HD: 250 GB Hard Drive BW: 100 Mbps / 8,000 GB

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
    Thanked by 1klikli
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Member
    edited July 2012

You can always check datashack or (like what @serverbear said) VolumeDrive.

Or buy it from @Damian or @LiquidHost or @William

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
  • roronarorona Member

I have a Dual L5420, 24G Ram, 5 IPs, 2x1TB Harddrive, 10TB @ 100M with Dedidirect for $35/mo.

Though I paid a lot in setup fee for this server. If you count 3Yr ROI then it just ends up about to hit $50.

• After 3 years that server would be outdated imho.

• yomeroyomero Member

@HalfEatenPie said: After 3 years that server would be outdated imho.

Counting from now, yes. But some providers have been using this platforms since looooong time ago...

• @HalfEatenPie said: After 3 years that server would be outdated imho.

Yep, in 3 years that will become the standard for a low end VPS :)

• funny thing is, I already have a dedicated server like that lol

• Thanks for all your feedback guys and you can be rest assured it will be put to great use.

• DamianDamian Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Or buy it from @Damian

We don't sell dedicated servers. We're willing to do high-resource containers, but no dedicated servers at this time.

• @Damian said: We don't sell dedicated servers. We're willing to do high-resource containers, but no dedicated servers at this time.

Ignore what @Damian is saying, he's high off of lemonade and air.

@Damian sells dedicated servers. Or else... Or else what? Exactly.

• DamianDamian Member

:P

Ask @jshinkle for dedicated servers.

• Do you sell poptarts?

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited July 2012

@KuJoe said: I'd expect a dual core Intel Atom with 2GB of RAM

@serverbear said: HD: 250 GB Hard Drive

@JTR said: 1TB @ 1gbps

You can expect your "dual core intel Atom", 250GB HDDs and 1TB of transfers all you want, but for around $50 I see no reason to settle for worse than

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Quadcore incl. Hyper-Threading Technology 16 GB DDR3 RAM 2 x 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s HDD 7200 rpm (Software-RAID 1) Unlimited traffic https://www.hetzner.de/page_us.htm 42 Euros = 51.59700 U.S. dollars

Thanked by 1klikli
  • DerekDerek Member

Here's what I would expect for ~50

2cores with HT or 4 cores 4-16GB of ram - really, ram is cheap and barely a expensive for some dedicated providers, a lot just use it to bring in more income monthly. Mid-Range Hard Drive or Entry Level Solid state drive. 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6 - Any providers can virtually do that on the cheap. 5Mbps at 100Mbps Brustable is pretty decent.

That's what I would expect

• yomeroyomero Member

@Derek said: 5Mbps at 100Mbps Brustable is pretty decent.

o_O!?

• JTRJTR Member

@LiquidHost said: @JTR where from?

@Brandon said: Who is that from?

http://yesuphost.com. They used to offer that config (with 8GB of RAM) for $49/mo, I chatted with sales prior to purchasing and was offered a free 16GB RAM upgrade. About two months later, the sale ended, but I kept my hardware and price (forever, or at least until I cancel the server). So that pricing isn't exactly attainable anymore, but I got a sweet deal locked in.

@rm_ said: You can expect your "dual core intel Atom", 250GB HDDs and 1TB of transfers all you want, but for around $50 I see no reason to settle for worse than

Well, lemme compare that to my dedi.

i7-2600 vs i3-2100 — Hetzner wins 16GB RAM vs 16GB RAM — Tie 2x3TB HDD vs 1x 500GB HDD — Hetzner wins 10TB @ 100mbps vs 1TB @ 1gbps — I win (my bandwidth needs, even when I am frequently attacked, have not surpassed 1TB yet — however, if you need to push a lot of data, hetzner might be a better choice for you) ~$50 setup vs free setup — I win Slow support vs 5-15 minute support responses — I win (although only because yesup is a small operation) Hetzner wins on IPv6, although I come out ahead on KVM (afaik Hetzner has a 2hr per day limit for free KVM, yesup has no limit).

There are a few perks that come with a small company. I get unlimited KVM access, fast support responses, an email if I get DDoS'd (no, seriously, I've gotten multiple emails from techs that my server was being flooded — I'm extremely surprised at that), and even an email once when my dedi had crashed. And yesup's control panel is pretty excellent, the only thing I wish they'd change is enabling their "iKVM" feature, which was supposed to happen in June.

So it depends on what you need. Personally, I prefer having something located in Canada, which gives me ~45ms pings from my home cable instead of ~160ms pings to Hetzner's servers. I also prefer a host that takes Paypal.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Guess it depends on location (i.e. US vs EU), Hetzner has some insane benchmarks from the submissions I've seen.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • wahyanwahyan Member

But Hetzner has setup fee :(

• A damn good time.

Oops, wrong forum.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member without signature

Something like this (which costs 55$/month when you opt in to pay 10€/month more instead of 150€ setup fee)

• Something mildly better than DataShack's $35 deal. Preferably with IPMI/KVM/iLO/other three to four letter acronyms. Especially amazing would be 5-10TB on Gbit on Best Coast.

@FieldMoose said: Oops, wrong forum.

You're right - Craigslist is that way!

"We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
  • ztecztec Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Something like this (which costs 55$/month when you opt in to pay 10€/month more instead of 150€ setup fee)

Server4you is poison.

• @ztec lulz. I once played around with a S4Y box, felt like it was virtualised on a overloaded box...

Just picked up my first Kimsufi... Not really happy with their custom kernels and distros... Any guides on restoring it?

• $50 For a US location, hmm....

Probably 3-4GB Ram 250GB-500GB HDD 1TB - 5TB Bandwidth Dual Core CPU 100Mbps

[email protected]
  • ztecztec Member

@eastonch said: @ztec lulz. I once played around with a S4Y box, felt like it was virtualised on a overloaded box...

Performance on mine was 'reasonable' - it's when you hit support you're fucked. Or when support hits you with random bills that don't belong to you.

Server4you is a f*cked up company. Server4you is BAD. Avoid Server4you!

Please google, pick this up for me.

• joodlejoodle Member

Dual Core 4GB Ram ~500GB HDD 1TB+ Bw ~100mbps

• biplabbiplab Member

@eastonch said: Just picked up my first Kimsufi... Not really happy with their custom kernels and distros... Any guides on restoring it?

For CentOS/Scientific Linux try this guide.

For Debian / Ubuntu - Boot into Rescue mode, then partition & format hard disc, mount hdd and use debootstrap to install Debian minimal.

They also install two authorized keys to log into your server as root. This is meant for remote support. But I don't like it. So I reinstalled it to stock OS.

• biplabbiplab Member

@ztec said: Performance on mine was 'reasonable' - it's when you hit support you're fucked. Or when support hits you with random bills that don't belong to you.

I remember I subscribed to their vserver plans on a monthly contract basis. They deducted 6 month worth of money from my Paypal account. When I asked them they told me that they follow that practice even for monthly contracts. In my opinion this is ridiculous. I didn't give it a second thought and cancelled my service immediately. In the end they refunded 5 months pre-payment.

Do note that they mention about this in their FAQ only. Their TOS is silent about this practice.

• biplabbiplab Member

@rm_ said: You can expect your "dual core intel Atom", 250GB HDDs and 1TB of transfers all you want, but for around $50 I see no reason to settle for worse than

Hetzner server comes with 1 ip. To buy additional ip you need to buy Flexi Pack (worth 15 Eur/month) first. Then they will allow you to buy additional ip. All together it comes out about 21.4 Eur/month for 6 ip addresses (minimum purchase). In my opinion this is expensive when I try to create couple of VMs out of that box.

• @JTR said: Personally deal is great,but "personally" really

read Yesuphost - 2 months - worst experience @ http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1171878&highlight=yesuphost

also it seems yesuphosting Temporarily Suspended On WHT

• Does anyone else have any input? Hoping to stay on topic here...

• JarJar Member
    edited July 2012

@ynzheng said: also it seems yesuphosting Temporarily Suspended On WHT

Surprising.

@Brandon said: Does anyone else have any input? Hoping to stay on topic here...

For $50 I expect roughly the following: dual core, 2GB RAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD, 5-10TB on 100mbit port. This is assuming U.S. and reasonable quality but not new hardware on a good network.

• For $50: dual core intel/4 core AMD 4gb ram 2 150gb or bigger disks 5-10tb bw, 100mbps port 13 usable IPs

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • JTRJTR Member

@ynzheng: There are issues at every provider out there. I personally am impressed and happy, as are the two people who told me about them, and quite a few other WHTers who've written positive reviews.

Anyways:

My server took ~4 days to arrive, which was within the estimate I had been given.

I have seen numerous responses on weekends, weekdays, and odd hours of the night, usually within 30 minutes max.

• jshinklejshinkle Disabled

I can do dedicated servers! Cheap to. Just have to message me. :)

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen Based - SolusVM Control Panel - TUN/PPP/FUSE/SIT/GRE - cPanel/DirectAdmin/Parallels - Chicago/Buffalo/LA Coming Soon! - Great Support!

• @jshinkle said: I can do dedicated servers! Cheap to. Just have to message me. :)

This guy's legit :P I don't really know him, but I heard he's awesome.

• jshinklejshinkle Disabled

:)

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen Based - SolusVM Control Panel - TUN/PPP/FUSE/SIT/GRE - cPanel/DirectAdmin/Parallels - Chicago/Buffalo/LA Coming Soon! - Great Support!

• ChiefChief Member

@Brandon said: I am just curious to see the specifications of a dedicated server you'd expect for this price point. This is in terms of hardware and network.

Dual Core Atom 4GB Ram 2x 500GB 10mbit unmetered / 5TB 100mbit port /29 IPv4

LowEndTalk has guidelines? | Follow LowEndNetwork on twitter & win!
  • ynzhengynzheng Member
    edited July 2012

how about https://www.constant.com/order/order.php?PLANID=845

E5506 4MB Cache - (2TB) $59.95/mo

2U Supermicro Server Intel Xeon E5506 Quad-Core CPU 2.13Ghz 4GB DDR3 RAM 1 x 2TB 7.2k RPM SATA Drives /29 IP Space – 4 Usable 5TB on 100Mbit Port

Single Xeon E5506 4x2.13Ghz 4 GB RAM 2000 GB (2 TB) SATA II No Raid Debian 6 64Bit No Control Panel No Firewall Customer Managed /29 IP Space 4 Usable 5000 GB + Free Incoming 100Mbit Uplink

100% Uptime 1000+ Gbps capacity 24x7x365 Support