Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Cloud server plans you would like to see

Cloud server plans you would like to see

24khost24khost Member
edited July 2012 in General

Just wondering what kind of plans you guys would like to see.

We only offer servers starting at 1 core 256 mb ram and 5 gb space

and what would you be willing to pay.

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Member
    edited July 2012

max of 4 personally, but because its a cloud system I'm not too sure.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
  • what do you mean max of 4? Max of 4 plans?

I am looking to see what plan configuration people are looking for and what they are willing to pay.

edited July 2012

Oh sorry I meant to say max of 4 USD for the specs you just wrote if it was on a single dedicated server. I don't know how expensive managing a cloud is (I bet it pretty much is more expensive) so that's why I'm not too sure how exactly viable that would be for your hosting.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited July 2012

Maybe i should rephrase this

are servers are from 1-6 cores 256mb ram to 8gb ram 5-640 gb space and bandwidth 100 gb to 10 tb

What package would people want and how much are they willing to pay.

• I want to know what the community is looking for.

• yomeroyomero Member

Obviously <$7 ??? This community is <$7 End

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r tux
    edited July 2012

I'd say first give us something we can test for like 2 dollars a month (or like 15 dollars for a year). Then, if we like it, people would upgrade or something. If not, its still 2 dollars :P

• AmfyAmfy Member

@24khost said: I want to know what the community is looking for.

I like the system from de-punkt.de, where the customers can decide exactly what they need. And if it is a real cloud that shouldn't be a problem for the provider, too.

About which kind of cloud are we talking here?

Anycast DNS => DNS4 or Rage4

• I think it is the one. When the one location goes down your vps is still up. That is what is what I think

• @yomero of course!

@halfeatenpie Cloud is a little more expensive I will see what i can't figure out for the lowest amount i can charge.

@amfy That is an idea we are already working on. Just got to come up with a way to build it to make it automatically add the plan to whmcs. then we will do that.

@dragonballz2k That is what a cloud is! Are is setup with auto-fail-over and load balancing.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member without signature

@24khost said: Are is setup with auto-fail-over and load balancing.

How exactly would load-balancing work for a VPS?

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited July 2012

gsrdgrdghd, Load can become an issue in a shared environment. VPSGrid constantly monitors load across your servers and balances servers to allow your customers to be less affected by neighbors and have more potential with their server.

• VPSGrid is a beta environment as i use RockMyWeb(VirtuallyDedicated)'s cloud servers. but performance on load controlling is really good.

• Yes we use the same technology that Devon@VirtuallyDedicated does.

• if it's 4USD p/m I would like to buy one :p

• AmfyAmfy Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: How exactly would load-balancing work for a VPS?

@24khost said: gsrdgrdghd, Load can become an issue in a shared environment. VPSGrid constantly monitors load across your servers and balances servers to allow your customers to be less affected by neighbors and have more potential with their server.

I'm not sure, but I think @gsrdgrdghd doesn't meant the load, but the loadbalancing in the way of failover.

Anycast DNS => DNS4 or Rage4

• @jeffpan if you want one of those I will create the plan and you can order just give me a few minutes.

• @jeffpan sent your way.

Also all other can look at what we are offering at http://billing.24khost.com/cart.php?gid=16

• TazTaz Disabled
    edited July 2012

@24khost,

May I please ask your clould setup? What software you are using? How many location?

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• TazTaz Disabled

And a on a side note, why you do not have a valid SSL?

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• 2 locations South Bend and Las Vegas

We use OpenVZ / VpsGrid

We are in the process of acquiring our ssl cert for the control panel. On the billing side of things since we don't store any credit card information, it is really kinda pointless as paypal takes care of that portion and they have an ssl.

• We have one but have not set it back up since we changed billing setups.

• TazTaz Disabled

@24kHost, You are still taking peoples personal information. SSL is required.

• No there is nothing that requires us to use ssl unless we are storing peoples banking or credit card information and then you are not required technically.

• TazTaz Disabled

You are asking for peoples personal information, not only credit card. SSL is not only for credit card. Come on dude.

• @NinjaHawk as there is no transfer of a members details to anybody else there is no need to have one.

Per godaddys website take a look.

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/715/do-i-have-to-have-an-ssl-certificate-for-my-quick-shopping-cart?pc_split_value=2

@24khost said: No there is nothing that requires us to use ssl

I require you to use it or else i won't buy anything from you.

• TazTaz Disabled

@24khost http://www.small-business-forum.net/ecommerce/3985-ssl-certificate-do-you-need-if-you-arent-taking-info-ccs.html

Something you should know "If your users enter a username and password to login to your site without an SSL certificate, an attacker can easily see their username and password in clear text. This would allow someone else to impersonate your visitor, but it allows for a far more dangerous possibility: Because users often use the same password on many sites (including their bank accounts), an attacker can potentially compromise many other accounts. If you let people store a password with you, you must take responsibility for protecting it, even if the security of your own site isn't critical."

• @gsrdgrdghd Not saying we don't have one. We just are getting everything corrected it will be back up in a couple of days.

• TazTaz Disabled

When ever, where ever, some one puts in their username and passswords and other personal info, you should have SSL. For community site, I do not care TBH. As those are free service, but they should still have some sort of encryption methods in place. Even if a free one. But, for a business? No mercy.

• that is why all passwords in the system are stored in a hash. The issue you are talking about they would actually have to have access to your browser which the ssl cert would not protect against. The ssl cert only protects the data that is sent during the transfer to a thrid pary.

• ssl does not protect against getting hacked for an account. There is a reason that this forum here is not required to use ssl. I agree it is a good thing, but it is just a childs blanket for people, in this case as it does not protect anything if you are not transfering data between 2 servers. Since Paypal uses the ssl for the transfer of payment information it really is redundant and means absolutley nothing.

@24khost said: that is why all passwords in the system are stored in a hash.

lol are you seriously not understanding what SSL is good for?

• I do but this one is not an issue.

• TazTaz Disabled

@24khost said: that is why all passwords in the system are stored in a hash. The issue you are talking about they would actually have to have access to your browser which the ssl cert would not protect against. The ssl cert only protects the data that is sent during the transfer to a thrid pary.

They are store "IN YOUR SERVER" as hash, When the user inputs, they use plain text, send that information from their browser.

Your hash is only valid for your server, users are not using hash when they signup or login.

for example, if my password is "IloveMonkey", I will input that while logging in, not a 64bit hash like "496c6f76654d6f6e6b6579". "Ilovemonkey" can be fetched while eavesdropping user connection which is not encrypted. I know some one here can explain better than me. But seriously, assuming you have been in business since 10, you should have known the basic technical fact.

• TazTaz Disabled

@gsrdgrdghd said: lol are you seriously not understanding what SSL is good for?

Troll in my mind, don't feed em please.

• TazTaz Disabled

@24khost said: I do but this one is not an issue.

No you are not understanding and this is an issue. When was the last time facebook took your CC info? Google search took your CC info? Still they are using SSL.

• You really need to understand what ssl actually does.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_does_https_ssl_keep_information_safe.html

It does not protect your data, it basically confirms who I am that your are dealing with the actual website and not a phishing site.

• TazTaz Disabled

@24khost, you are the only one missing what SSL is. NVM, you do not care about your users information, who am I to give crap. I care about my users and my own.

• I know what ssl is. I also know how to do research.

The protection of members private info is very near and dear to us. And we do all we can to protect it.

Though in this aspect it effectually does nothing but provide you a sense of comfort. It would provide no real protection. This is why places that do not keep financial info are not required to use it.

You also must understand how the billing software stores the domain names. md5 hash + Salt which we have changed the salt password in our install.

• TazTaz Disabled

@24khost said: You also must understand how the billing software stores the domain names. md5 hash + Salt which we have changed the salt password in our install.

Talk much about hash and craps, remember recent whmcs incident?

• yes social engineering, the ssl didn't help now did it?

• Do I use a 3rd party payment processor? If your e-commerce site forwards your visitors to a 3rd party payment processor (like PayPal) to enter the credit card information then you don’t need an SSL certificate because your website won’t touch the credit card information. Just make sure none of the credit card details get entered when the address bar still shows your domain name. Note that PayPal allows you to accept the credit card information on your site or forward visitors to their site. If you accept the credit card information on your site, you need an SSL certificate.

Straight from sslshopper.com

• Please understand we appreciate your opinion, but we have actually researched what actually is needed and what is not.

The data taken from whmcs, was due to an employee at hostgator. Not whmcs issue. Passwords are as secure as can be. You password protect your config file and you have no problems. This would require getting my password to the server which we use a randomly generated secore password.

• TazTaz Disabled
    edited July 2012

Trying wake an awake person is something I can not do. Any how, I am done with your things. I won't be posting on this thread. But some info to point out that might (!) help you and your users,

Your website is full of broken links, lorem ipsum text, missing useful information, terrible pixelated graphics, you have SLA with out further info, site information on one of your legit (?) testimonial doesn't load. Please fix your site before promoting.

Best of luck!

@24khost said: Though in this aspect it effectually does nothing but provide you a sense of comfort. It would provide no real protection.

SSL is only there to provide a sense of comfort but does not provide real protection?

Thanked by 1Taz
  • in our case since we use paypal and store no payment information on our server as i posted earlier. It is not needed.

You, sir, are a joke and i would never trust you with my personal information. Anyone who does is a fool.

• You have no clue what SSL does. It's for key exchange, but it also encrypts the information being sent between you and your end users. Otherwise their username and password are being sent in clear text, which can be snooped on.

Also, md5 + salt? That's no better protection than md5. Why are people still using hashing algorithms that were broken in 2005?

• TazTaz Disabled

Got bored explaining the same.