Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

ssh2/php

ssh2/php

ZenZen Member
edited July 2012 in General

So I'm intrigued by this, since I haven't been able to find any documentation on it (that leads to anything, that is.)

If I execute a direct command via ssh2_exec which will give me a reply, and I want to then take that reply ($data) and store it in PHP as a session or anything else (echo it, do whatever.) - it will work perfectly.

It will take the received $data from the command - for example (ls | grep Hancock) - and give it to me, works fine.

However, if I am to write a bash script that has this command inside, just the same, and then execute this bash script via ssh2_exec - even though the bash script gives THE EXACT same output, the $data variable is empty O_o

I've tried ./bash.script - sh bash.script - bash bash.script and a few other ways of executing the script, non make any difference.

Any advice? I know this isn't some PHP forum but I thought I might as well write something up real quick and give it a shot before running off to stackoverflow and looking like an idiot (I'm relatively new to PHP)

Executing a normal command is fine for now, but for reasons of complexity I like to do everything via variables passed onto a bash script.

Transparency: I work for Nodisto and all subsequent businesses: Backupsy, VPSDime, Winity, Cloudive, and DotVPS. My opinions represented through posts on this forum are mine and not the opinions of these businesses unless explicitly stated otherwise.
Tagged:

Comments

• Are you sure you cannot use curl or wget?

• ZenZen Member

The command you mean? I don't need to, right now what it does is check the progress of a torrent, greps the output percentage, stores it in $data, I grab that, pass it on to another script as a session, etc. Works fine via command, but when I try to put the exact same command in a bash script and execute it just the same, it doesn't store anything in $data. Which makes no sense to me.

Transparency: I work for Nodisto and all subsequent businesses: Backupsy, VPSDime, Winity, Cloudive, and DotVPS. My opinions represented through posts on this forum are mine and not the opinions of these businesses unless explicitly stated otherwise.
  • Have you tried executing on more than one server? Perhaps I've not spent much time with ssh2_exec, but my understanding from that little time spent is that your logic is sound if the environment is not configured in some way that prevents it.

jarland.me | Read about my new hosting experiment.

• ZenZen Member
    edited July 2012

Yes jarland, I did this on multiple machines/os.

• specklspeckl Member

My guess is that you are running a php script that doesn't have the correct permissions on the file(s) that you are trying to read.

Are you seeing any errors anywhere?

UK VPS's 15k SAS drives - http://httpzoom.com

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited July 2012

You need to use a ssh2 console to do this, instead of ssh2_exec. It should also work with ssh_exec works if you use

echo `ls`

in the bash file.

You of course can just output it to a file, then read the file.

Daniel.

• ZenZen Member

@speckl definitely not that. @MrLawoodle will try it out.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited July 2012

Make sure you are using the correct function and that it is not getting stuck asking for input/feedback.

Are you using the same binary for both tasks? If you have a PHP script being called from php-cgi or php-fpm - it might have different functions or settings enabled/disabled from the bash php-cli.

What does your error log (or multiple error logs in this case) say?

• krokro Member

Lol my first vpn system used ssh2 via php. Needless to say, better ways to skin the cat :)

• ZenZen Member

@kro

More info please? Always looking to learn.

• joepie91joepie91 Member
    edited July 2012

Be sure that you're outputting the response to stdout and not stderr - stderr will break. The PHP SSH2 library isn't great. Other than that, there should not really be an issue.

EDIT: Have you verified that the command ran successfully? You may have made a typo in the filename of the bash script, for example, and since it doesn't capture stderr properly you won't figure that out from your PHP script alone.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• krokro Member

@Zen depends what you are looking to do.

You could use xinetd, lock it to your webservers IP, and use a local bash script to do tasks and return an output.

Similar how to MySQL load-balancing with HA-Proxy works, uses xinetd to check for replication faults etc

• krokro Member

@Zen make sure you have some good checking involved so no one manipulates your $data that holds the command.

The idea here is to make it only do the things you want it to, Sometimes making things Dynamic introduces security issues - so if you do, make sure you have some heavy checking before executing said commands :).

• ZenZen Member

I'll look into it, thanks. We should have LEC (LowEndCoding) :D

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Totally unrelated. Earlier today I purchased the domain name LowEndPie.com.

For no. apparent. reason. at. all.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
    Thanked by 1Xeoncross
  • @HalfEatenPie said: Totally unrelated. Earlier today I purchased the domain name LowEndPie.com.

I will now have to destroy you.

Daniel.

• @MrLawoodle said: I will now have to destroy you.

Come and get it.

@MrLawoodle

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!