Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Downtime

Downtime

jshinklejshinkle Disabled
edited July 2012 in General

Just to make a few things clear and everyone knows, etc.

Yes, ChicagoVPS had about 5 and a half hours downtime in Buffalo earlier today. This has since been rectified.

While awaiting an official RFO, the preliminary issue was that the core switch we connect back to at ColoCrossing keeled over causing all of our primary and backup nodes go down.

Additional measures are being put into place to keep this from happening again.

Any questions or concerns, feel free to email me at jshinkle [at] chicagovps [dot] net or shoot me a PM here in LET.

Thanks

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen Based - SolusVM Control Panel - TUN/PPP/FUSE/SIT/GRE - cPanel/DirectAdmin/Parallels - Chicago/Buffalo/LA Coming Soon! - Great Support!

Tagged:

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

What additional measures exactly? I had just switched one of my primary websites to you, just to see it being down shortly after that for hours. So I am indeed interested how you plan to avoid this in future...

Got divided by zero. Three times. Feel better ever since...

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • JackJack Member

Murphy is out on full sprint today.

• TazTaz Disabled

@jshinkle @jack you guys aren't the only one.Murphy hit hard on me this morning as well. but so far, things do look fine.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• JackJack Member

@NinjaHawk said: you guys aren't the only one.Murphy hit hard on me this morning as well. but so far, things do look fine.

@NinjaHawk why do you think I said it haha his out for everyone..

• TazTaz Disabled
    edited July 2012

I think Murphy is on nyc right now, heat making him crazy lol.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• We haven't had any network issues with our Buffalo ColoCrossing servers - I assume this was just a "core switch" for your rack/servers?

CubixCloud Web Services - [email protected]
  • yomeroyomero Member

@Jack said: his out for everyone..

Yesterday in the work we were upgrading an Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 and then we had a power outage... Almost got fu**** up... :S

• Murphy got me too, i broke the network config of a server with no remote management :P

Luckily its just an empty server at the moment.

• netomxnetomx Member

@yomero said: Yesterday in the w

I was on Laredo, TX, waiting for a paperwork for a truck we imported... it's gonna be fast, they said, don't worry, you will not stay a day in Laredo, they said...

My fianceé was with me... I spent like $600 just in shopping for her because they truck wasnt ready U.U I hate you Murphy!!!!

• AmitzAmitz Member

How about taking Murphy and his laws to a seperate thread and keep talking here of a 5 hour+ outage with no communication in the meantime? Would that be possible?

Ah. No. Of course not... This is LET, sorry forgot that... ;)

Thanked by 2Satellite jcaleb
  • netomxnetomx Member

@Amitz said: Ah. No. Of course not... This is LET, sorry forgot that... ;)

this is dog

• TazTaz Disabled

@netomx said: this is dog

And I am a potato.

• AmitzAmitz Member

"Dog" like in "Hot Dog"?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

That's funny. :) However, where is my post that you cited "dog"? I am not a native speaker and did my best to figure out what you were trying to tell me when saying that my post was "dog"... Without any result. ;)

• netomxnetomx Member

@Amitz said: "Dog" like in "Hot Dog"?

here.

=P

• TazTaz Disabled

@Amitz said: That's funny. :) However, where is my post that you cited "dog"? I am not a native speaker and did my best to figure out what you were trying to tell me when saying that my post was "dog"... Without any result. ;)

This is a joke (my and netomx comments) that only 9gaggers will understand.

Thanked by 2netomx Amitz
  • KairusKairus Member

@NinjaHawk said: This is a joke (my and netomx comments) that only 9gaggers will understand.

Psh there goes 9gaggers thinking they made a meme popular :P. It was reddit who made it popular btw.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • Congrats! It only took 4 posts before the subject was completely changed ;)

CubixCloud Web Services - [email protected]
  • yep. looks like we have a new record. M P.S. What the hell is with that dog ?

Nobody here.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Actually, it only took 2 posts.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Kairus said: Psh there goes 9gaggers thinking they made a meme popular :P. It was reddit who made it popular btw.

Want a potato?

This is legit 9gagger. But i agree, dog came from Reddit.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member without signature

@NinjaHawk said: This is a joke (my and netomx comments) that only 9gaggers will understand.

You might want to read this and take a look at this picture.

Hint: None of the people who actually create OC likes 9gag and this particular dog image was published on Tumblr.

• netomxnetomx Member

I don't like 4chan :( and I just browse 9gag.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • Nvm. Sorry i asked... M

Nobody here.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

However, next try: @jshinkle: What additional measures exactly? I had just switched one of my primary websites to you, just to see it being down shortly after that for hours. So I am indeed interested how you plan to avoid this in future... Why hasn't there been any communication? Why posting here on LET before sending an eMail to affected customers?

• Yep, I'm also disappointed by the lack of communication.

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • If you follow their twitter, they posted about it there.

Insidiea

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

I do not feel that I, as a customer, have to follow my host to get information. I would expect my host to simply shoot an eMail or put something on their own status page. It's like (no offence) when Ashley sold VMPort to another host and I had to learn it here on LET first before it was communicated directly. That's just bad style.

I spent HOURS today figuring out what might be wrong on my side because I could not reach my VPS. Wasted time.

Thanked by 1Surge
  • InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited July 2012

@Amitz

Although I do share your concern for lack of communication (I have a VM in Buffalo aswell) please do cut them slack, mass sending in those emails takes time and I'm sure their number 1 goal was to try to get everything back up online ASAP, and also keep in mind, that Chris is on vacation leaving Jermiah to run things alone pretty much, which is a stressful job.

I have used ChicagoVPS since January, and this amount of downtime has never happened to me before, for the price you probably payed ($3.50 first month and 7 dollars reoccurring) is a very good deal, and they are the only providers I know of that can offer these prices while maintaining pretty good performance.

Please don't let this once incident ruin your impression of them.

Insidiea

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Amitz said: I spent HOURS today figuring out what might be wrong on my side because I could not reach my VPS. Wasted time.

Why did you waste any time? It was posted to their twitter feed https://twitter.com/chicagovps

I think all providers post an outage like that to their twitter, or their announcement page if they host their website offsite. Do you follow all your providers on twitter? I know many do, but it is still a minority when I see only 309 following ChicagoVPS.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
    Thanked by 1Insidiea
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member without signature

@miTgiB said: I think all providers post an outage like that to their twitter, or their announcement page if they host their website offsite. Do you follow all your providers on twitter? I know many do, but it is still a minority when I see only 309 following ChicagoVPS.

I don't use Twitter and i won't start using it to read hosters announcements. In an event of a downtime its the hosters duty to inform me, not the other way around.

Thanked by 2Amitz Maounique
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: I don't use Twitter and i won't start using it to read hosters announcements. In an event of a downtime its the hosters duty to inform me, not the other way around.

They used to have a twitter feed in their client area, but I think they removed it.

Insidiea

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Insidiea: I did not know that they are only a two-man-show. Indeed, the circumstances are awkward. And yes, I have that cheap $3,50 first month promo. Maybe I had wrong expectations and should better change to a more costly provider who has good procedures for such cases in place.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Insidiea said: They used to have a twitter feed in their client area, but I think they removed it.

If it is there or not, what good is it if they are down?

@gsrdgrdghd said: I don't use Twitter and i won't start using it to read hosters announcements. In an event of a downtime its the hosters duty to inform me, not the other way around.

I think that is a bit unrealistic. You traded something for a lower price to have a LEB, what is it you are willing to trade for that lower price since it sounds like service/support is not on your list.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • @miTgiB said: If it is there or not, what good is it if they are down?

For me personally, nothing, but for people like @gsrdgrdghd The latest tweets would be loaded on the client area so he doesn't have the extra work of going to twitter.com/chicagovps.

Insidiea

• @Insidiea said: The latest tweets would be loaded on the client area so he doesn't have the extra work of going to twitter.com/chicagovps.

Not if the "client area" is affected by the issue.

FWIW my take on this is...

• In the event of an outage, the provider should post a notice about it ASAP, and then followup with periodic reports;

• The customer has the responsibility of seeking information in the event of an outage. Waiting for an email isn't good enough.

But where should notices be posted?

I dislike Twitter because it's too vague about times. "About 6 hours ago" isn't good enough when I want to know exactly when a provider posted a notice. And an hour later it's still "About 6 hours ago"...

Facebook sucks because an extended outage gets spammed with comments and I waste too much time trawling through crap to find some real information.

A simple, out-of-our-DC, off-our-network, independent-of-our-DNS blog with RSS would do just fine. It's accessible when everything goes dark. I subscribe by RSS. It's the next best thing to a personal email.

• @sleddog said: I dislike Twitter because it's too vague about times. "About 6 hours ago" isn't good enough when I want to know exactly when a provider posted a notice. And an hour later it's still "About 6 hours ago"...

Just click on, or hover your mouse over, the "about 6 hours ago" for the exact time.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • @Amitz said: @Insidiea: I did not know that they are only a two-man-show. Indeed, the circumstances are awkward. And yes, I have that cheap $3,50 first month promo. Maybe I had wrong expectations and should better change to a more costly provider who has good procedures for such cases in place.

We are not a two man team.

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen/KVM Based VPS's / Great Support! / 6 Geographically Diverse Locations: Buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas, New Jersey

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@NinjaHawk said: I think Murphy is on nyc right now, heat making him crazy lol.

Is murphy the slang for the network hardware?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Member
    edited July 2012

@jcaleb said: Is murphy the slang for the network hardware?

Its a joke that refers to someone named "Murphy" who ruins stuff. (e.g. server downtime, blame Murphy. Your pants spontaneously catch on fire? Blame Murphy. Your server turns into Skynet and starts killing people? Murphy)

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
    Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @jcaleb said: Is murphy the slang for the network hardware?

No, it is the personification of bad luck. One of the most quoted "laws" of his is this: "If something can go wrong, it will." It is said he was some army man, very pessimistic :P M

Nobody here.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

@CVPS_Chris: Thank you for the information about the approximate (>2) size of your team. However, this was not my main question, but obviously you are avoiding to answer it. Nevermind. I have cancelled my service with CVPS. You will surely not miss me as a customer and I will not miss the $3.50 in my pocket that I have spent to find out whether CVPS suits my needs or not. Life goes on. :)

• @Amitz Sorry for this derailment, I think you just were unlucky, from what I know about them, this is not the norm. M

Nobody here.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@Amitz I think generally CVPS is a good provider, and I have tried them before. I believe they could have answered you better if you opened a ticket.

• AmitzAmitz Member

As said, nevermind... Things did not work out well for them and for me. I guess this happens sometimes. I decided to move on. No harsh feelings - I am out of this thread. :)

• @jcaleb said: I believe they could have answered you better if you opened a ticket.

Thats what I dont get. Why people come here with questions and expect answers right away. We are very busy so our answers he of course will be short.

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen/KVM Based VPS's / Great Support! / 6 Geographically Diverse Locations: Buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas, New Jersey