Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Response:

I am sorry. There was an error on the website. These are built with SAS drives as we could not offer SSD drives for the price we are offering. Also, SAS drives are really the only ones that will work with this server. I can cancel and refund your order if you like. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Even though SSD and SAS aren't incompatible terms, but I get it ;)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@damian @rolz14
    Download hp smartstart cd from hp.com for your model and boot from it. Updates firmware and access ACU for drive configuration.

• Looks like DataShack have more stock in. Just snagged one.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Are you guys planning to keep yours or just test it for a month or two?

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

Some good comments here regardless, just placed an order as they have more stock in.

Going to test it out for a month, and maybe next month stick OpenVZ or KVM with two or three vps' on there.

Did I hear correctly that these come with HP iLO cards?

• earlearl Member

I wish the addons was like volumedrive where it's a one time fee instead of it being chraged monthly..

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @earl said: I wish the addons was like volumedrive where it's a one time fee instead of it being chraged monthly..

Weird only HDD or RAM is monthly but DirectAdmin is only once.

• AsadAsad Member

@martip07 Well they have to make money back from the hardware somehow. Some datacenteres provide free DA licenses to dedi customers, the $5 is probably just a setup fee to stop people requesting them and not using them.

• earlearl Member

@martip07 said: Weird only HDD or RAM is monthly but DirectAdmin is only once.

Well to what I hear DirectAdmin use to be free but now they charge a setup fee.. I guess it's pretty uncommon to pay just a setup fee for the upgrades

• syamansyaman Member

That's true. Still, it's fairly trivial - if time consuming - to DIY the DirectAdmin installation

• earlearl Member

I noticed they updated the HDD specs as 146Gb SAS, Maybe the new stock is cause people canceled thinking it was SSD..

• AsadAsad Member

@earl Yeah maybe, it's still a hell of a good deal with 2x SAS.

• dwilddwild Member

@earl said: I wish I could find a colo where I am for under $10/month.. the cheapest I found was $50/month for 1u, I don't even care if it's 1mbit, would be great for testing

Why not your home? 1 mbit... this is your upload speed.

@AsadHaider Oddly though I have better I/O from a 7200rpm 500gb drive. Don't let the 10k SAS thing fool you. It's good enough for most common uses though.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland Have you raised a ticket about the poor I/O? Maybe getting the drives replaced or something?

@AsadHaider I've not. Other reports here are about the same so I'm not sure what they'd do about it if it's common for this drive model. It's hitting about 45-50mb/s though, which is fine for anything I'll do with the machine. Raid1 since they're a little old, even though smart status is great.

• @jarland: was it software Raid?

@HalfEatenPie They said they only do software raid, then came back and said here's the server and by the way we used hardware raid.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

wat. I want hardware raid.

Did you pay extra?

They gave you software?

• I don't know. I'll figure out soon.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland Did you get a remote access card? HP iLO or something.

• @AsadHaider said: @jarland Did you get a remote access card? HP iLO or something.

Most likely just SSH (mines only SSH)

• earlearl Member

@dwild said: Why not your home? 1 mbit... this is your upload speed.

Just for a test I did open up port 80 to a virtualbox VM and it loaded wordpress pretty quick, but my internet connection cuts out alot, I would rather colo then have to deal with the heat and noise from the server.. I also would'nt have to worry about my home network being comprimised if I got hacked..

@AsadHaider Yeah I got iLO. I asked for a reinstall or a KVM and they made me an account on the iLO and said it's alive and mine to access as long as it's in the rack.

edited July 2012

@jarland: so I was talking with DataShack support and I was trying to see if they would install my hard drive with hardware raid 1. They told me that I'd have to pay for the cost of the raid controller. I ask him "How much would it cost to install a hardware raid controller?" He sends me an email and says, "I need about tree fiddy." Well it was about that time that I notice that his support e-mail profile picture was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the palezoic era. I wrote "Dammit monster! Stop touching my machine! I ain't giving you no treefiddy!" It said "how about just twofiddy?" I said "Oh now it's only twofiddy?! What is there a sale on Raid Controllers or something?!"

@HalfEatenPie I love you.

Seriously though I thought these blades came with hardware raid?

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • I don't know. I made that entire thing up. I'm still waiting for them to tell me that they installed the hard drive.

edited July 2012

@NanoG6: I did a face swap using MS Paint at work.

Damn I'm good. Also, it tells a different story.

It looks like someone's found his secret dolls