Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I guess I can't say I ever tried it on a dedicated. Wonder if tuxlite would be more fitting.

• Actually here is something pretty strange, I got an email from those guys at about 11:30pm last night. Do they actually install servers 24x7? Most of the providers I know only install servers during regular business hours...

• @Satellite said: Just a heads-up, running Minstall's clean-packages hosed my install and now I've gotta request an OS reinstall.

Does it cost anything to request reinstall?

• Guys it would be good if you post here your experience with them...... of coruse after you get your dedi :)

It will helps us

• @martip07 said: Guys it would be good if you post here your experience with them...... of coruse after you get your dedi :)

Sure, I'd love to...when I get the box first of course

Thanked by 1martip07
  • subigosubigo Member

@zhuanyi said: Actually here is something pretty strange, I got an email from those guys at about 11:30pm last night. Do they actually install servers 24x7? Most of the providers I know only install servers during regular business hours...

They install anytime Monday - Friday. I've received server details at 3am before.

• rolz14rolz14 Member
    edited July 2012

They asked me if i wanted raid as well so i went with Raid 1

raid controller seems to be

root@debian:~# lspci | grep -i raid
    14:08.0 RAID bus controller: Hewlett-Packard Company Smart Array E200i (SAS Controller)
    root@debian:~#

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 146.8 GB, 146774507520 bytes
    255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 35131 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000639ad

not sure how i can find out drive information as hdparm and smartctl didn't seem to work

• @Satellite said: Just a heads-up, running Minstall's clean-packages hosed my install and now I've gotta request an OS reinstall.

You could of just asked for KVMoIP.

• earlearl Member

@rolz14 said: not sure how i can find out drive information as hdparm and smartctl didn't seem to work

you could try dmesg..

• earlearl Member

The $35 server is sold out!!

• I haz one :P

Me gusta

• earlearl Member

yeah I signed up and paid already but have not received my login details.. just a link says "Your order is currently being processed."

@HalfEatenPie Details and tests on the hard drive? :)

• Well... Definitely no SSD.

Maybe I'm just really unlucky right now?

root@pineapplebeer:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 25.7256 s, 41.7 MB/s

@HalfEatenPie said: 41.7 MB/s

Could almost run a website off that.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

Also it seems I got 2218 instead of a 2216 so... woot! 0.2 GHz More!

Also not bad connection wise.

root@pineapplebeer:~# wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-07-14 04:47:15--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: â/dev/nullâ

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 37.5M/s   in 2.7s

2012-07-14 04:47:23 (37.5 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ

Ping isn't that bad :P but its not PixelsHost haha

root@pineapplebeer:~# ping -c 3 google.com
    PING google.com (74.125.225.64) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from ord08s07-in-f0.1e100.net (74.125.225.64): icmp_req=1 ttl=55 time=11.9 ms
    64 bytes from ord08s07-in-f0.1e100.net (74.125.225.64): icmp_req=2 ttl=55 time=11.9 ms
    64 bytes from ord08s07-in-f0.1e100.net (74.125.225.64): icmp_req=3 ttl=55 time=11.9 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 11.974/11.981/11.996/0.126 ms

Not bad! But oh boy are we going to exchange words about that hard drive ;)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@jarland said: Not bad! But oh boy are we going to exchange words about that hard drive ;)

I'd say I might be unlucky but just keep an eye on that. I'll see if I can get them to swap it out. (I'm talking with billing on Monday anyways about getting that second hard drive in and getting RAID setup)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie
    what's the HDD model? Check smartctl -a /dev/sda
    also test the read speed with hdparm -t /dev/sda

edited July 2012

[root@localhost /]# smartctl --all -d cciss,1 /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
    smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device: HP DG146BB976 Version: HPDC
    Serial number:
    Device type: disk
    Transport protocol: SAS
    Local Time is: Sat Jul 14 00:38:02 2012 CDT
    Device supports SMART and is Enabled
    Temperature Warning Enabled
    SMART Health Status: OK

Nice "SSD"

• RandyRandy Member

there is no point to buy, when they cant respond to basic sales/pre-sales emails many users dont get a response (including me)

• @jarland said: Nice "SSD"

Wait? Did you order a SSD?

@MrLadoodle said: Wait? Did you order a SSD?

Only system on their dedicated page that actually specifies something beyond drive space in the list, they better not have been playing games with my head.

edited July 2012

Hello, these are SAS drives not SSD drives. If you do not want the SAS drives but would prefer the SSD's, we can gladly refund your money

Well, here goes DataShack. They sold out of these. There won't be a happy purchaser in the bunch. The rest for anyone who cares...

Could you clarify why your website specified SSD and I was not asked if I would

like an alternate? I am not yet stating that I do not want this system, but this
    was to be my foot in the door to determine the quality of an experience with
    DataShack before possibly purchasing more servers, so I would appreciate some
    clarification.

Their response:

I will forward this to Billing and they will get back with you Monday.

• @jarland said: but this

was to be my foot in the door to determine the quality of an experience with
    DataShack before possibly purchasing more servers

You're amazing. That's a great line

Thanked by 2jar NanoG6
    edited July 2012

It's not like they can play this off like they ran out. They gave me a 146GB SAS drive. Conveniently consistent replacement for what was listed. The order form itself said SAS, as pointed out earlier, but it isn't up to me to know that 146GB SAS SSDs aren't common (if they even exist, but SAS SSDs are very much real) so much as it is up to them to provide what I purchased ;)

I may keep it for the price but with these drives it's going RAID0 with twice daily backups and running a single website. All the ideas running through my head involved high I/O.

• ztecztec Member

Bought one, just losing some VPS that together equal 35 dollar a month and I win.

• Out of stock :( ....

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@jarland said: There won't be a happy purchaser in the bunch.

It is stil a great deal even with the HDDs, and 2nd HDD for only $5 more is a steal, too.

@rm_ No doubt, probably the best on the market for the price if their network is as solid as I hear. Starting out on a lie though...not a good first impression. I'm datacenter shopping right now for a couple of different things, hate to see them out of the running just because of a $35 server.