LSI CacheCade

LSI CacheCade

vmhostsvmhosts Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has rolled this technology out to any of their VPS nodes? We run a clustered storage system on X86 hardware and we are looking to roll these out with a mirrored pair or raid10 set of SSD drives to help with write and read performance.

I have seen some very good figures back with traditional applications but nothing specific to virtualised IO profiles, hence seeing if anyone had any real world feedback of these in a virtual environment.

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

I've looked at them, but most of our servers have unused SATA ports on them, so instead of changing RAID controllers, was thinking about just using Bcache instead.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Damian said: thinking about just using Bcache instead.

Why bcache over flashcache, any reason?

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • DamianDamian Member

@miTgiB said: any reason?

Just retardedness, I actually meant flashcache. You'd think flashcache would come up first in a google search for "ssd flash cache", but apparently not.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Damian said: You'd think flashcache would come up first in a google search

Now that is funny, Google giving Facebook an edge

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • @Damian - Hadnt really thought of using these modules. Not really an option for us as we cant modify the storage node appliances at the software layer.

But a module like this on the Hypervisors maybe an addtional option if I can configure to only be used as read cache

• Were going to use CacheCade once we complete the purchase of a new node that can handle the drives.