Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPXCore - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPXCore

Comments

• @phxadam said: In all fairness to ATJEU, this was the third DDOS attack directed towards one of our customers in less than a month. I would have pulled the plug on us too. They are working with us to get our servers online until we can move data centers. I am just happy that the attack was caught by their staff at 2 am, and was stopped before it caused serious bandwidth

overage fees.

Any DCs you are trying to contact?

• The attack was small, there is no excuse for their gear being unable to keep up.

Just look at markets other than Phoenix.. it would be so easy to find a provider if that were the case.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@phxadam said: In all fairness to ATJEU, this was the third DDOS attack directed towards one of our customers in less than a month. I would have pulled the plug on us too. They are working with us to get our servers online until we can move data centers. I am just happy that the attack was caught by their staff at 2 am, and was stopped before it caused serious bandwidth overage fees.

Reading this thread, I can not really say they did a great job. They simply blackholed your whole network. It is normal that they caught it at 2AM, still it is a DC, it needs to be monitored 24/7 and quite sure htye have alerts triggered in this cases. Actually, I get emails directly from the system once we are under a DDoS.

Still, after reading the whole thing, I'd personally never try them, neither would suggest them to anyone else. A 150k pps attack rendering their whole network down is hularious at this days. I've suffered from larger attacks the past 3 months, however they were handled relatively fast (under an hour each). http://i.imgur.com/JuBeM.png - ss from the graphs of my USA1 node. My point is that the attack was not that large to kick you off, however htey obviously have old equipment and are not prepared for something like this. And about you saying that on their place you'd pull the switch of yourself - not quite correct. DDoS becamse something really common this days, every second kid has access to a botnet, giving it a boner and the thoughts and feeling like they are God. DDoS even tends to happen randomly from time to time. Attack at a single IP should not cause your whole contract beeing terminated, atleast not in my eyes.

• Our PC based gear could handle PPS in excess of that. This may be a blessing in disguise

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

As @LiquidHost said, they really are barely one step below the attacker in blame priority. I'd be giving them a piece of my mind right now and perhaps a piece of my shoe as well. Not to say you haven't already.

@ShardHost said: Our PC based gear could handle PPS in excess of that. This may be a blessing in disguise

I belive that in the time of a DDoS attack targeted at a server (not network equipment), not the hardware itself would cause the problem, the software would crash under the heavy PPS load.

@Jack said: Really????!!??! I have an i7 desktop in voxilty I'm thinking of getting rid as it can't handle 20k pps.

Voxility's network gives up when it comes to a flood over 60k pps, especially if you are behind that fortinet firewall they offer. Might be lower actually.

@Jack said: yup like I said they suck , It's not there network as an E3-1240 in a 1U rack chassis seems to be working fine.

Depends if they placed you behind their firewall or not. Depends on the type of the flood as well.

As far as I know you are on desktop grade hardware at Snel's as well, however you mentioend to packet loss at 250kpps ;) .

I was thinking to colo a server at them, as they are in Romania..a couple of hours driving from there, unfotunetely gave up on the idea after using them for a month as dev node.

@Jack said: Ay?

E3-1270 in RAID10 is Desktop hardware?

What desktop planet are you on?

Oh, my mistake. As far as I remember you started with i7s with them (a couple of months ago, after the accident with ecatel)? Does not really matter though, might be my mistake.

Anyway, we are getting offtopyc here, so I am out of the discussion :P

• DamianDamian Member

Due to issues outside of my control, @phxadam will provide updates/answer questions from now on.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Quick update. Looks like we are moving our operation to NWNX.

• @phxadam what happened to @damian?

What's happening with the 32mb servers? Gahhh! Questions!

• DamianDamian Member

I'm back.

Servers are getting shipped out tomorrow. I'll have a bit more information on this later tonight or tomorrow morning.

The 32mb plans will continue on the same price as they are now. Monthly transfer may go up too, once we get things settled.

• @phxadam said: Quick update. Looks like we are moving our operation to NWNX.

Awesome :D

• @Damian which NWNX DC?

• DamianDamian Member

@TheHackBox said: which NWNX DC?

We're going to try out the Buffalo, NY location.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • VictorVictor Member

Best of luck with your new DC, hope it's better than your current one. :)

• Buffalo is where it's at apparently.

• qtriangleqtriangle Member
    edited July 2012

@Damian, what are the updates for your VPS customers?
    When they should expect to get back, and would there be any other setup issues like change of IP etc?
    Thanks

• @qtriangle said: When they should expect to get back, and would there be any other setup issues like change of IP etc?

Thanks

I think he's pretty busy with all the new changes (and I can definitely cut him some slack that way). But yeah the IP question would be interesting for me as well :P

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

IP will be different

• http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Meh it'd just be minor changes in my A records.

• PADPAD Member

IP change isn't something clients need to worry about, its something providers need to worry about, you don't know how much of a headache an entire IP change can be when you're serving 1000+ clients. O_O

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • yomeroyomero Member

@PAD said: IP change isn't something clients need to worry about

I get worried because my gameservers use that IP to generate user IDs u_u

But, yes

@PAD said: how much of a headache an entire IP change can be when you're serving 1000+ clients

You are right I guess

• NWNX as in ChicagoVPS?

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012

@Satellite

Yes. I hope it isn't another bad decision for IPXCore, after all they have been given a wide variety of choices and seemed to go with another fairly hidden provider with no big track record. Yet again, one does have to search for those hidden providers when looking to skimp on certain areas (for example IPs, of which they need 1000+ for 30cents/piece).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

There are a lot of ways to find less known businesses besides extreme bargain hunting. Word of mouth is one. In this case, I'd bet location played a huge part in their first choice. The $0.50/m vps hardly seemed like a plan they had from the beginning. ChicagoVPS seems to be doing well for themselves. But when you've sold over 400 of a product that suddenly becomes a huge liability with increased IP cost, it's hard to blame them for shopping around.

• PADPAD Member

Agreed, but looking for a bargain isn't a problem - I was merely commenting on the probability of why they've gone with NWNX because IP's did seem to be a big problem.

I've spent years finding a select few perfect providers, other than maybe one or two, none of them are corporate/large businesses, mostly small hidden providers.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Good luck with new DC guys!

• rds100rds100 Member

I'd say diversify. Put the shared hosting in one DC, the VPS servers in another. This way if shit happens again, at least you can send emails.

Thanked by 1Amfy
This discussion has been closed.