Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud.net - 30% to 90% discount codes!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud.net - 30% to 90% discount codes!

NullMindNullMind Member
edited September 2014 in Offers

Hello LET Members!

Cloud.net is a new marketplace of Clouds and VPS servers, currently with 12 locations and more being aded every week.

Why use Cloud.net ?

You get no single provider lock-in, full transparency on how each cloud performs with our Cloud Index Score, price comparison, ability to deploy to many different regions and providers and manage it all from a single interface.

We invite you to try it out, with VM's starting at $5/month ($0.0074/h), and to facilitate it we have 3 coupons for you, choose your preferred discount level:

• LOWENDTALK90 - 90% Discount for 1 month
  • LOWENDTALK50 - 50% Discount for 3 months
  • LOWENDTALK30 - 30% Discount for 6 months

Coupons are set for your entire account, so any additional servers you add during the period you choose will automatically receive the same discount!

Please visit https://www.cloud.net - Coupons are redeemable on the last step of the order process, please sign up for an account on the website or directly on the Control Panel at https://jager.cloud.net/users/sign_up

Thanks!

Thanked by 1ditlev

Comments

• So you resell cloud services in a unified interface from various providers that use your OnApp product? Assuming that's true, I'm assuming because you provide such a large volume that your pricing is the same or very similar to the various providers you use.

Seems like the biggest benefits for customers are a single invoice, the ability to switch between providers without penalty and without initial deposits, and similar TOSs and privacy policies. I guess the biggest downside is an extra layer between the customer and the providers, which could be a positive if your technical services are good.

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

cloud.net and cdn.net are both build on top of the OnApp federation platform.

It's a win-win kinda situation. Our clients (running OnApp) can monetise their spare servers/capacity, and end users get great deals and one single platform to world wide infrastructure.

:)

D

• And to add to it, the prices in cloud.net are never higher than on the provider's own website :)

• Yeah, I think the business model is pretty good for a segment of the market, kind of like what Hotwire did for the car rental and hotel industry.

How do you handle service disruptions and other disputes such as refund requests? Trolling LET for a while, there always seems to be a lot of drama revolving around those issues. Though it may be downstream to the cloud services market, I'm sure these situations also arise.

we've worked with the providers in cloud.net for a long time, in some cases for years. They provide high quality infrastructure. It's guys like Dediserve.com, Softlayer.com, Cartika etc etc.

Yes - We have 24/7 support at hand with super snappy reply times. In case something goes wrong from the supplier side, OnApp would in many cases simply self-heal, but we also have direct access to the OnApp infrastructure management tools and can fix a lot of issues that way.

Furthermore we obviously have direct access to the suppliers senior techs and get potential hardware issues sorted with priority.

To give end users additional guidance we've introduced the cloud index which we think is actually the first time that a service provider (like cloud.net) provides direct insight into the performance of the infrastructure they provide. This way end users can make an informed buying decision - not just based on price, but on the full package.

Makes sense?

D

• sumosumo Member
    edited September 2014

Sure, all of that is pretty standard for enterprise class service. Thank you for elaborating further. So when are you going to be out of beta?

edited September 2014

there's a lot of features we'd like to see ported from OnApp into the cloud.net UI, but we're getting closer and closer.
    We're still a few months away from GA though.

Important thing to note though, is that the infrastructure supplied is obviously not beta in any way, shape or form - it's only our orchestration tools on top of it. Ie. you would not be at a higher risk of service degradation because you buy it from cloud.net rather than direct.

D

• Just re-entering what Ditlev said, the infrastructure part of it is not Beta, it's the API layer to the federation that it is, once the VM is deployed, it's in production ready systems, but as we are building the API/Federation layer there are some native OnApp functions we are still porting here :) .

• What would be nice would be sample prices (other than starting at $5/month) in the public facing portion of the site. I understand that its a marketplace and prices may fluctuate, but it lowers the barrier for customers to sign up.

When do the coupons expire? Can an account use the coupons sequentially after each expiration date, e.g. 90% Discount for 1 month, then 50% Discount for 3 months after the first month, etc?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited September 2014

It's not every day you get to play with a SoftLayer VPS for $.50, so I grabbed one in Dallas and London.

First impression: the panel is very nice. It's obviously still missing some features, but what's there is really well done.

Second impression: I imagine the service itself totally depends on the specific provider but SoftLayer's network is seriously impressive (not that that's a surprise). Disk I/O is very good too. CPU (maybe an E5-2620v2?) is OK but not great. Here's some quick benches:

Dallas:

# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash                                              CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2099.998 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 487 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime :   1:33,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 94.8MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 47.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 93.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 16.7MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.19MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 36.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 10.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 45.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 46.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 53.8MB/s
    I/O speed :  661 MB/s

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/09/05/zF2Z7MKPKVR2c1Mh

London:

# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash                                              CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2099.998 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 487 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime :   1:46,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 89.7MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.07MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 16.7MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.91MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 72.7MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 17.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.33MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 17.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 13.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 30.6MB/s
    I/O speed :  677 MB/s

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/09/05/e1td1cXuifB4N3qA

• is there a paypal option?

• @Dylan said:
    It's not every day you get to play with a SoftLayer VPS for $.50, so I grabbed one in Dallas and London.

First impression: the panel is very nice. It's obviously still missing some features, but what's there is really well done.

Second impression: I imagine the service itself totally depends on the specific provider but SoftLayer's network is seriously impressive (not that that's a surprise). Disk I/O is very good too. CPU (maybe an E5-2620v2?) is OK but not great. Here's some quick benches:

Thank you for the benchmarks. I was interested because of the infrastructure in play. Another concern revolves around pricing. I don't want to go in, install software, and then find out the pricing is beta/introductory pricing and have price hikes later on. It wouldn't be worth the effort. Prices should generally go down, not up.

edited September 2014

@sumo said:
    I don't want to go in, install software, and then find out the pricing is beta/introductory pricing and have price hikes later on. It wouldn't be worth the effort

This is not a 'demo/beta' price. Obviously the coupons at - this crazy discount - will not continue for long, but I do not see monthly price going up. As you say, the trend is quite the opposite.

D

• @sumo said:
    I don't want to go in, install software, and then find out the pricing is beta/introductory pricing and have price hikes later on. It wouldn't be worth the effort

That will not happen, if a provider ever has the need (for whatever reason) to increase pricing, then the old package will be archived and a new one put forward, all VM's on the old package will be grandfather the price and the package itself archived (I am using 'package' in a generic term)

If the provider does drop the price, then people on the package will inherit the new price on the next billing cycle, we will drop your price but never bring it up (TBH we have done that already)

I will make a point with the legal team to make that a part of the TOS

• @ehab said:
    is there a paypal option?

There will be :) ..

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @sumo said:
    What would be nice would be sample prices (other than starting at $5/month) in the public facing portion of the site. I understand that its a marketplace and prices may fluctuate, but it lowers the barrier for customers to sign up.

When do the coupons expire? Can an account use the coupons sequentially after each expiration date, e.g. 90% Discount for 1 month, then 50% Discount for 3 months after the first month, etc?

The "pricing" page on the website is currently being worked on, it will mimic the marketplace page inside the control panel, we know it's a big gap

As for the coupons, no there is a max amount of coupons that you can use in a period, we are planning 1 coupon max per year, but thats has not been cemented just yet,
    but let not that be a problem, for those who used the 90% coupon, if you decide you wish you had used the 30% for 6 months instead, poke me :)

@Dylan said:

Dallas:

> # wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash                                              CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    > Number of cores : 1
    > CPU frequency :  2099.998 MHz
    > Total amount of ram : 487 MB
    > Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    > System uptime :   1:33,
    > Download speed from CacheFly: 94.8MB/s
    > Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 47.4MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 93.6MB/s
    > Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 16.7MB/s
    > Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.19MB/s
    > Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 36.2MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 10.2MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 45.8MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 46.0MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 53.8MB/s
    > I/O speed :  661 MB/s
    > 
    > # wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash                                              CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    > Number of cores : 1
    > CPU frequency :  2099.998 MHz
    > Total amount of ram : 487 MB
    > Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    > System uptime :   1:46,
    > Download speed from CacheFly: 89.7MB/s
    > Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.07MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 16.7MB/s
    > Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.91MB/s
    > Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 72.7MB/s
    > Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 17.7MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.33MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 17.9MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 13.9MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 30.6MB/s
    > I/O speed :  677 MB/s
    > 

Btw, all the server benchmark (the cloudindex) that we expose inside cloud.net is also based on serverbear...So, you don't have to spend the $0.50 to get the stats ;)

• @NullMind said:
    I will make a point with the legal team to make that a part of the TOS

That would be great.

• @NullMind said:
    but let not that be a problem, for those who used the 90% coupon, if you decide you wish you had used the 30% for 6 months instead, poke me :)

Thank you for the clarification.

• My pleasure, we are building a new model here, it's like Airbnb for the cloud and we want to ensure the experience is a good one.

• Since you are reselling the excess capacity of the providers, would there be any point where the providers can reclaim that capacity? For example, if I plan on running a VPS long terms and the provider suddenly needs that previously excess capacity, do I have to relinquish the VPS?

What virtualization is used for the plans (I may have missed that one)?

edited September 2014

@sumo said:
    Since you are reselling the excess capacity of the providers, would there be any point where the providers can reclaim that capacity? For example, if I plan on running a VPS long terms and the provider suddenly needs that previously excess capacity, do I have to relinquish the VPS?

Yes, they have to give 6 months notice though.
    Also, a lot of the providers actually setup specifically allocated infrastructure for the federation, so it's not only excess capacity.

What virtualization is used for the plans (I may have missed that one)?

It's all running OnApp, and it's based on a mix of KVM and XEN

D

• Was curious, so tried to create an account: seems to be impossible....
    Ok, my email uses an new tld and I use very long passwords. But I was unable to create even an user-account....?

• @ditlev said:
    Yes, they have to give 6 months notice though. Also, a lot of the providers actually setup specifically allocated infrastructure for the federation, so it's not only excess capacity.

6 months offers some time buffer, hopefully it won't happen too often though. Thank you for answering my questions.

• @NullMind said:
    As for the coupons, no there is a max amount of coupons that you can use in a period, we are planning 1 coupon max per year, but thats has not been cemented just yet, but let not that be a problem, for those who used the 90% coupon, if you decide you wish you had used the 30% for 6 months instead, poke me :)

I was considering signing up in 2-3 months. Would I be able to use "LOWENDTALK30 - 30% Discount for 6 months" at that time?

• @rubbie said:
    Was curious, so tried to create an account: seems to be impossible....
    Ok, my email uses an new tld and I use very long passwords. But I was unable to create even an user-account....?

Hi can you message me or email [email protected] with your name and email, let us check it out

• @sumo said:
    I was considering signing up in 2-3 months. Would I be able to use "LOWENDTALK30 - 30% Discount for 6 months" at that time?

Sure, we intend to keep this code up for a little while

• @rubbie said:
    Was curious, so tried to create an account: seems to be impossible....

Can you please test now, we just noticed a small issued on signup code and fixed it just now

• @NullMind said:
    Sure, we intend to keep this code up for a little while

That sounds good. I'll have time to try out the services at that time.

• hum. only cc payment