Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Have you got any suggestions for the community?

Have you got any suggestions for the community?

LiamLiam Retired Staff
edited June 2012 in General

Bonjour, Hola, Ciao, Guten Tag and finally Hello!

In case you were wondering, Chief has kindly appointed me as a 'Community Curator'. This is a non-moderation role, with no moderator or administrator privileges

I'd love to hear from you lot, the users, with your ideas for Lowendbox and Lowendtalk.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to see added or ways we could improve?

If you would like to contact me confidently, I'm reachable via private message me ;)

Retired LowEndBox & LowEndTalk staff.
Thanked by 3Maounique Mon5t3r Phil

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited June 2012

The man has spoken ! It was a need for such a position, a tribune of the ppl to carry our word up. I hope you can at least veto some decisions ? M

I am only representing myself :)

• You forgot to add Ciao!

However congratulations! :-)

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • Congrats @liam!

In relation to what we need more of? Pies. We can always use more pies.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
    Thanked by 1Oliver
  • LiamLiam Retired Staff

@Maounique said: The man has spoken ! It was a need for such a position, a tribune of the ppl to carry our word up. I hope you can at least veto some decisions ? M

You should consider me as the Switzerland Ambassador ;-)

@prometeus said: You forgot to add Ciao!

However congratulations! :-)

Added just for you ;-)

• @HalfEatenPie said: In relation to what we need more of? Pies. We can always use more pies.

I can only agree with this one.

Daniel.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • DamianDamian Member

Привет!

I noticed the 'Community Curator' tag a few days ago. Congrats on the appointment!

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
    Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Horas Majua-jua!!! :D congrats @liam

Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • rds100rds100 Member

I am not sure if this is for congratulations, because you will attract a lot of user anger :) But congrats anyway.

Now to business: on the Lowendbox.com site, there is a section called "LowEndTalk Discussions". It shows posts from March 7. This needs fixing.

• LiamLiam Retired Staff
    edited June 2012

@rds100 said: Now to business: on the Lowendbox.com site, there is a section called "LowEndTalk Discussions". It shows posts from March 7. This needs fixing.

I've forwarded this on to the relevant person.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member

@liam one more - on the wiki there was some script that used to track the websites of the providers - up/down/changes, etc. I think it no longer works. Also there are some false results from the March 5th to the March 8th period (when LEB was under DoS and nullrouted) - it would be nice to have those false results cleaned.

• rds100rds100 Member

Aaand one more - i miss the monthly DeadPool posts.

• on top of what @rds100 said, I think we need a direct link on the forum to the wiki. I mean I've been on the wiki a hand-full of times and its riddled with great information, but still I didn't find out about it until a few weeks after I started coming here regularly.

• LiamLiam Retired Staff

@rds100 said: Aaand one more - i miss the monthly DeadPool posts.

We've got that covered (one of my new responsibilities).

@rds100 said: @liam one more - on the wiki there was some script that used to track the websites of the providers - up/down/changes, etc. I think it no longer works. Also there are some false results from the March 5th to the March 8th period (when LEB was under DoS and nullrouted) - it would be nice to have those false results cleaned.

I'll look into this.

• joepie91joepie91 Member
    edited June 2012
    1. The deadpool posts on LEB should return. It was a very good way to keep track of what went on with certain hosts, what happened to them, and whether they were expected to come back up.
    2. Chief should be active in the community - how can you run a community without actively participating in it?
    3. The LEB posts should really have more research and remarks in them, much like LEA used to do - and they could probably be written a bit more lighthearted. Right now they're not much more than either a list of specs and features, or what seems like a verbatim copy of an email from a provider.
    4. The wiki should be fixed - it should be possible to at the very least register/login and edit pages.

Either way, congratulations :)

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• @joepie91 said: Chief should be active in the community - how can you run a community without actively participating in it?

+1

But @joepie91 what do you mean by more research? I'm just curious because I wasn't here when LEA was running the show.

• @HalfEatenPie said: But @joepie91 what do you mean by more research? I'm just curious because I wasn't here when LEA was running the show.

Back when LEA ran LEB, every post would pretty much have at least one remark from LEA himself - something interesting he'd noticed about the provider, or even the traceroute. History of the company behind it, interesting plans listed on the site but not in the offer, etc. - basically, bits of information (sometimes very interesting) that weren't submitted by the providers themselves. I don't really see that anymore. I actually don't even really read LEB much anymore, because it's mostly become an advertise-your-company page, rather than an actual blog that is actually written by someone.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@joepie91 said: The deadpool posts on LEB should return. It was a very good way to keep track of what went on with certain hosts, what happened to them, and whether they were expected to come back up.

The deadpool posts weer the last reason for me to visit LEB, they were great, and to watch all the bagholders battle was a source of entertainment.

@joepie91 said: Chief should be active in the community - how can you run a community without actively participating in it?

I dunno, maybe once LET settles down and become a friendlier place to be again, right now it is a sewer and I'm no exception adding fuel to that fire at times. I think @Chief would only add more fuel.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
    Thanked by 2maxexcloo Chief
  • "Chief should be active in the community - how can you run a community without actively participating in it?" He is at least reading, PMed me about an obscure post of mine. M

• LiamLiam Retired Staff

@joepie91 said: The deadpool posts on LEB should return. It was a very good way to keep track of what went on with certain hosts, what happened to them, and whether they were expected to come back up.

Sure this will return, It's my responsibility now ;-)

Chief should be active in the community - how can you run a community without actively participating in it?

I think this is up to chief, he does a lot 'behind the scenes' though.

The LEB posts should really have more research and remarks in them, much like LEA used to do - and they could probably be written a bit more lighthearted. Right now they're not much more than either a list of specs and features, or what seems like a verbatim copy of an email from a provider.

I do agree, however I'm not a writer - again I'll pass this to the responsible person.

The wiki should be fixed - it should be possible to at the very least register/login and edit pages.

I believe Chief is working on the wiki at the moment.

• "I dunno, maybe once LET settles down and become a friendlier place to be again, right now it is a sewer and I'm no exception adding fuel to that fire at times. I think @Chief would only add more fuel."

That is changing. I can feel it and I bet you can too. M

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

I like it as it is. Just get back to life those things that are there before. Like what @jopie91 mentioned.

• @miTgiB said: I dunno, maybe once LET settles down and become a friendlier place to be again, right now it is a sewer and I'm no exception adding fuel to that fire at times. I think @Chief would only add more fuel.

I think part of the reason it has become like this, is because Chiefs lack of participation. It feels like this place just 'exists', but the owner doesn't really put any time or effort into it... as if it has become public domain, so to say. In my experience that tends to cause exactly these kind of situations.

Obviously I'm not complaining that moderators don't do anything, it's just that I think that in the minds of many people, they don't really 'run' the place, but Chief does (or should), if you get what I mean - so the participation of other staff doesn't really have the same effect as the participation of Chief would have.

@Maounique said: "Chief should be active in the community - how can you run a community without actively participating in it?" He is at least reading, PMed me about an obscure post of mine. M

I don't consider reading to be 'participation' - it's something you do invisibly, and you don't really contribute anything to the community. If reading were participation, I would be participating in LEB because I'm reading it occasionally, despite barely ever posting a single comment.

@liam said: Sure this will return, It's my responsibility now ;-)

Great :)

@liam said: I think this is up to chief, he does a lot 'behind the scenes' though.

Right - that is exactly what the problem is. He shouldn't just be doing things behind the scenes, as they aren't visible to the community. Why not just share with the community what he is working on, and participate in conversations? It now seems as if he just doesn't give a damn about the community, and just keeps it running because there happen to be people here.

@liam said: I believe Chief is working on the wiki at the moment.

Working on it in what sense? Setting up a new wiki? Fixing the current wiki? Writing his own? Integrating it with LET? Etc, etc...

Basically again the above, be transparent in what is going on and suddenly it will be a much friendlier place. I can see no valid reason not to openly share with the community what is being worked on in terms of the wiki.

• I agree that the community seems a bit harsh/rash but all communities have their own identity and this is part of it so I don't see a huge problem with it.

I would suggest a better review process. Maybe force reviewers to do basic identity verification and verify that they actually have a VPS with the mentioned/reviewed provider.

Getting dogged down in a review thread right now that if you did this to begin with it wouldn't be an issue.

Seann

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@GridVirt said: I agree that the community seems a bit harsh/rash but all communities have their own identity and this is part of it so I don't see a huge problem with it.

I would suggest a better review process. Maybe force reviewers to do basic identity verification and verify that they actually have a VPS with the mentioned/reviewed provider.

Getting dogged down in a review thread right now that if you did this to begin with it wouldn't be an issue.

May not be worth the effort.

• @GridVirt said: I would suggest a better review process. Maybe force reviewers to do basic identity verification and verify that they actually have a VPS with the mentioned/reviewed provider.

Such a rule would be nonsense for LET posts. Anyone can decide for themself if they want to believe a review or not.

Some more background information on providers listed at LEB would be nice though (as previously mentioned).

President Of Operations/CEO/CFO/CTO/COO of my account

• PhilPhil Member

@liam: Congratulations, thanks for your involvement in the community, and your multilingual greetings :-)

I agree with @joepie91 suggestions. I am now a little bit more used to the VPS world, but as a newcomer a few months ago, I found the deadpool and LEA advices particularly useful to help choosing a fair provider.

• Congrats @liam !

While you're passing on suggestions, you might ask someone to fix the mailserver so that all email notifications aren't spamboxed. (Hint: DNS & rDNS).

• I have a suggestion:

Get a favicon.

My Advice: : VPS Advice
  • Congrats @liam :)

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - powered by Prometeus XenBiz | Server Uptime status - powered by Prometeus Xen Pune
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • TazTaz Disabled

Can we get more mods? Also maybe some interesting contest o and umm ( free t-shirts :P

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Can we get more mods?

To do what exactly? I don't have the feeling that the current mods are overwhelmed by moderation work.

• TazTaz Disabled

I do see a bunchos irrelevant post here and there and specially the way most of the forum post becomes off topic ( we start with hard disk and end with pony).

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

Thanked by 2marrco maxexcloo
  • @NinjaHawk said: I do see a bunchos irrelevant post here and there and specially the way most of the forum post becomes off topic ( we start with hard disk and end with pony).

I think one of the +es of LET is that there is a big freedom on topics. It shouldnt be a jail, because then who is to decide to what length is allowed to develop the subject, I mean, who should say this is barely enough on topic, this is barely out of it so we delete... Sure, personal attacks, name calling, shouldnt be allowed as they impede on argumentation usually and attract the wrong kind of ppl to the discussion, but this is only my opinion and is not shared by the mods, so I live with it. If we are to forbid offtopic, we should get rid of insults first. Those are never ontopic. M

• InfinityInfinity Retired Staff
    edited June 2012

I think 3 moderators are more than enough, there are lots of trashy threads however they're in Offtopic so yeah..

As for derailing threads - welcome to LowEndTalk, there's not much you can do other than to tell people to shut up, if you delete the post you'll get uproar, if you don't you'll get the same. It's a catch 22 situation, so the decision is made on the spot. If you don't like a bunch of posts or whatever flag 'em. :)

Edit: I totally agree with Mao in this, he hit the nail in the head for me.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• @Infinity said: If you don't like a bunch of posts or whatever flag 'em

I dont agree with that. I mean mods should read here, it is not like it is a lot of writing, can be done in half an hour, say max an hour a day. Since there are 3 mods each can do 20 minutes, plus deleting would make half an hour including PMs to warn and stuff. If we delete and ban on the basis of how many flags a post has, we are again in the situation when some group takes control just because they are well organized and they promote their business together. Being able to shut down criticism too in that way is not a good idea, IMHO. M

Moderators do read here but flagging indicates or should indicate how the community feel about a certain post etc. I can tell you for sure, all the moderators read the posts here.. Just because a post is flagged does not mean it will be deleted, and we definately wont ban just based on a flagged post, that's why us moderators are here, to make the decision, otherwise we might aswell automate everything.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• @Infinity said: but flagging indicates or should indicate how the community feel about a certain post

Nope, it doesnt work. I never flag anything and others organize flagging en masse, at least this is how I think it used to work, otherwise some things wouldnt have happened. The community is a vague term, most ppl dont care to do some things while others are doing it in an organized way, this does not mean it is the community speaking, the theory of large numbers doesnt apply here, we are not that many. M

• joepie91joepie91 Member
    edited June 2012

@Maounique said: I think one of the +es of LET is that there is a big freedom on topics. It shouldnt be a jail, because then who is to decide to what length is allowed to develop the subject, I mean, who should say this is barely enough on topic, this is barely out of it so we delete...

I absolutely agree with this.

EDIT: I don't mind topics derailing. So far I haven't really seen any derailings that happened before the original post was answered. For example, if someone posts a question, by the time the thread is derailed the question has usually been answered in-depth by several people already.

Simply saying it doesn't work doesn't mean anything, that's the reason I'm encouraging people to flag, those that don't care don't deserve to have a say. Saying most people is inaccurate, you should see the flagging log, there is much more than you think..

But as I said before that is why us moderators are here, in order to make the decisions.

Anyways I will be off to bed and most likely will not be posting again until at least Monday next week. My ongoing family issues are getting worse and my studies are getting harder, should be back once I'm a little more sane and stable.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@raindog308 you are good with art.... why not donate the favicon? and perhaps throw an extra logo too?

• @jcaleb said: you are good with art.... why not donate the favicon? and perhaps throw an extra logo too?

Maybe we should have a contest :-)

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@raindog308 said: Maybe we should have a contest :-)

+1

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited June 2012

@Infinity said: those that don't care don't deserve to have a say

Erf... There are some reasons other than not caring... For example, I do believe name calling and low memes/manga+swearing does more bad than good for the ppl using them, only the usual chaners ( and TL;DR ppl because there isnt much to read there) appreciate that. Sure, that is no reason to be allowed, but it gives the measure on how biased are the mods, since they allow much worse from one side and ban ppl which never used some of those methods for being offtopic or having many posts flagged... I also think it is not a good practice to "call the mods" to stem such behaviour because mods should do it by default and I also, personally, dont need mod help, I was thinking in general, nobody should pollute the forums with personal attacks and transform the place into a sewer as miTgiB complained. If a group of ppl organizes well to flag around the posts of someone or use multi accounts and bots to do that, without reading even as they admit, does that represent the community's view ? I sincerely hope you dont believe that... I am happy to see things change for the better, every day I might say. Good job so far. M

• LiamLiam Retired Staff
    edited June 2012

@rds100 said: Now to business: on the Lowendbox.com site, there is a section called "LowEndTalk Discussions". It shows posts from March 7. This needs fixing.

In case you haven't noticed this has been fixed (by @chief), I've been working on a deadpool post (from the last one till now). Should be up over the next few days.

More suggestions welcome.

• i already ask this to @LowEndAdmin on LET v2.. put lowendbox.com link on LET footer (or any other place)..

Reason : i'm lazy...

Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
    Thanked by 2Liam NanoG6
  • netomxnetomx Member

@jcaleb said: +1

+10000

and the winner: 16mb vps for a month =P

• my suggestion for LET is to use something like http://www.osqa.net/

OSQA is the free, open source Q&A system similar to StackOverflow, need to say more? xD

• @yeradis said: OSQA is the free, open source Q&A system similar to StackOverflow, need to say more? xD

I think of LET as a forum/discussion site, not a Q&A site.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @yeradis said: my suggestion for LET is to use something like http://www.osqa.net/

That was LET v 2 and imho it sucked.

Thanked by 1Liam