Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowendbox with znc support (ToS)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowendbox with znc support (ToS)

gehaxeltgehaxelt Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap lowendbox where I can host my ZNC (irc) bouncer.

Specs:

• Network should be reliable
  • Reboots are ok
  • Location doesn't matter.
  • Traffic: I think 50GB should be enough - the more the better
  • Price: ~2-5$/year
  • Only for private use

Most providers prohibit irc applications, but maybe you know some who do not? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

gehaxelt

Comments

• blackblack Member

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/23424/ssdvirt-ssd-vps-hosting-from-5-year-ssd-raid-10-1gbps-e3-cpus-dallas

will tag @john to clarify but according to their TOS,

The Customer shall NOT use the services or the servers provided by the Provider to: host IRC servers. IRC clients are allowed in our Dallas, Texas location as long as abuse is not caused. All IRC is prohibited in our Piscataway, New Jersey location. 
    Thanked by 1gehaxelt
  • iceTwyiceTwy Member

Is it a public bouncer service or your private bouncer?

Most providers don't allow running an IRC daemon/using your box as an IRC server. But as far as I know, 99% of them are fine with you having ZNC for private use.

• I'm hosting a private ZNC on a ChicagoVPS server, works just fine.

Thanked by 2gehaxelt ihatetonyy
  • @iceTwy said:
    Is it a public bouncer service or your private bouncer?

Only for private use. Will update the initial posting. Thanks!

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited July 2014

@gehaxelt said:

Then you shouldn't worry too much about having the permission to run znc. Go with BandwagonHost or Inception Hosting - http://list.lowendserv.net/

• @eddynetweb said:
    I'm hosting a private ZNC on a ChicagoVPS server, works just fine.

Well, I'm running znc at 11MB - Memory shouldn't be a problem. However, I'd like to be sure that I comply with the providers ToS :)

• @iceTwy said:
    Go with BandwagonHost

Their ToS disallows any IRC activity.

• On an offtopic note, why do providers hate IRC clients and bouncers so much? Most IRC networks hide the hostmask by default now.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited July 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    On an offtopic note, why do providers hate IRC clients and bouncers so much? Most IRC networks hide the hostmask by default now.

Abuse. People use the IP's (more IPv6) for ban evasion, and such. They can also do very bad things, and it's harder to get caught (like a proxy). That's why Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker service blocks IRC, and you have to become stage to unblock it. Also vhost usage and such.

Oh yeah, cracking on people's cornflakes and having them attack you using denial of service attacks. IRC is prone to attacks, and clients.

• CharlesACharlesA Member
    edited July 2014

I've been running ZNC on my RamNode box for a while with no problems, but their price even for a 128MB OVZ box is a bit out of your price range @ $15/year.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

With that budget, lowendspirit.com

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • ChuckChuck Member

Question. Why do people use IRC bouncer? The only thing I can think of is if you're the admin, moderator of that IRC server.

• @Chuck said:
    Question. Why do people use IRC bouncer? The only thing I can think of is if you're the admin, moderator of that IRC server.

because they are NSA agent to spy innocent girls like us.

• souensouen Member

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/31903/cheap-vps-plans-5-usd-year-with-one-ipv4-upto-3gb-ram-limited-time-offer ToS doesn't allow "IRC Scripts/Bots" but doesn't explicitly say private bouncers, maybe could confirm with @ftpit ?

@Chuck: bouncers have some useful features like keeping your connection/nick if you have to log off from your home PC, custom hostname ([email protected]), log playback on reconnect, etc.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • I use znc for logging mostly and to keep the playback when I'm not connected.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

If you decide to raise that budget a bit, check us out! Plenty of ZNCs hosted here (my own included).

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@Nick_A said:
    If you decide to raise that budget a bit, check us out! Plenty of ZNCs hosted here (my own included).

Hosting my ZNC at RamNode also, overkill but 100% worth the extra money.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Thanks for the offers!

• itgodsitgods Member

i-83.net? :P