Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My project is no longer about GFW. It's about saving the net.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My project is no longer about GFW. It's about saving the net.

faddatfaddat Member
edited July 2014 in General

It's been a bit too long since my last post. I've been getting freaking stellar feedback from the folks here, I'm hoping that will continue. I read recently that folks in the USA on VERIZON FIBER OPTIC connections can't use netflix. Simply not okay.

This is going to be a quick & dirty style, I'm not much of a pro with code, but pretty good at using it in new and interesting ways, and getting better at writing / interpreting it every day.

The topology of the Internet has always been its saving grace. I'm genuinely concerned that at this point it is getting a bit too centralized. I've 3 ideas that should help to counter this:

1) P2P VPN(Implementation details to follow-- trying all current implementations, if you're aware of a P2P VPN, please do reply with its name, because I'd like to test it out.

2) A "router/server" that spawns VPNs from VPSes & works on finding the best route (and in some use-cases, learns the best route from the P2P network)

3) An inverse cloud of personal servers; one per dwelling would be ideal. I think that this is the most significant concept here.

Instead of this: "everyone needs to put their things into the corporate, information analyzed, spied-on cloud in order to enjoy the collaboration benefits of cloud tech"

We do this: "everyone can self-host cloud apps and know that their content is backed up, encrypted, on other people's disks-- or not, at their discretion, and they can still collaborate, because nodes use a defined protocol for interoperability, and the devs of the world get an incredible new toy."

I love the features of the cloud, and I also love the control/security of knowing that regardless of a company's balance sheet or a government's competition policy, I'll be able to access my files.

So:

Yes, still doing the self-spawning insta-VPN based on VPSes. Curious if there are independent hosts out there that have implemented Pay Per Hour & digitalocean style node spawning features. If no one has, I have an inkling it may be a good time to figure out how to do so.

I think #3 is by far the most interesting concept I'm trying to explore
  1. Is #3 By far the most interesting concept here?6 votes
    1. Yes
      66.67%
    2. No
      33.33%

Comments

• vdnetvdnet Member

Spawning VPNs from the router? That is interesting but seems unnecessary to me. A BGP network with route optimization software already should find the best outbound route to the end point. The inbound route is pretty much defined by the user's ISP, you can try to fool it and some route optimization software does try but, in the end, it is dependent on their ISP to send the data to you. You don't have full control over that.

So I don't see why you would need to spawn the VPN from the router or specifically find the route based on the VPN, just being behind a route optimized network should accomplish the same goal.

Thanked by 1metagen
  • You are being watched by the NSA!

Thanked by 1tux
  • As for "P2P VPN", I remember that Google has a similar project that can share Internet connection via plug-ins in Chrome.

Thanked by 1faddat
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

N2N

• "I read recently that folks in the USA on VERIZON FIBER OPTIC connections can't use netflix." They can. Because of peering disputes and dick waving it's just slow.

• shrubblesshrubbles Member
    edited July 2014

Hum, why don't you make a script and put it on github mixing all those softwares and features that you said ?
    Or at least a scratch of it, don't need to be finished to people fork it. Put in on LET github community.

• faddatfaddat Member

Actually, the other day I made a list of that which I assume is watching inside of a letter I was writing to friends and family. When you (correctly) assume this to be the case, radical sharing doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea.

Collaborating

So I decided that I would try something new, I read about it online. It said that many (a tiny percentage of the total— probably less than 0.1% is still a gigantic number) people and companies were getting incredible value from simply allowing others to participate in their conversations, planning, documents, etc.... Since then, I've implemented this in my personal affairs and work and have begun to see the incredible power of this technique.

I am now "share by default".

What this means to you is that if you are someone I think is important to me, my life outcomes, or my projects/goals (or those of others I care about and wish to support).... Those whom I consider to be "in my network," then I am giving you the keys to the kingdom..... Whatever I write, you are able and encouraged to edit. You will see me write it in real-time if you are looking. It is not possible for you to delete anything in a way that will cause me to be unable to undo your changes, so go ahead and give it a shot! It is in no way a violation of my privacy for you to be looking!

Please feel welcomed to our community and encouraged to comment on or edit in any way shape or form. I have given up some privacy for a few key reasons:

1. Your ideas, support & encouragement help my ideas happen
    2. Your ideas give my ideas strength and shape
    3. Your thoughts help me to avoid trouble I cannot foresee
    4. Tapping an international audience for their ideas will help me to stay international in my modes of thought and exposure to ideas.
    5. Often , we are physically distant while remaining mothers, teachers, fathers, students, brothers, classmates, sisters, friends, of the mind and heart! I hope that this will help us share our meaningful experiences and future plans with one another.
    6. Your encouragement gives me the conviction to pursue my dreams.
    7. Your criticism helps me to improve.
    8. And finally: Privacy? What privacy!?! Anything that I have in "the clouds" can and likely is being read by three categories of entities:

1. Definitely reading every single word, there can be zero doubt:
        1. American Weak AI's
          1. (folks we are way way past keyword recognition, let's call it what it is)
          2. Supposed purpose of the us government's surveillance:
            1. Security
        2. Chinese Weak AI's
          1. (folks we are way way past keyword recognition, let's call it what it is)
        3. Corporate Weak AI's
          1. For advertising and analysis to provide better understanding of our online behavior to help companies understand the marketplace and earn higher profits.
        4. Unknown automated entities of unknown type and intent.
      2. Maybe reading, DEFINITLEY able to read at a moment's notice
        1. Anyone who works for any of the companies that host or process or authenticate this document
        2. All of you, my homies.
        3. Unknown automated entities of unknown type and intent.
        4. Anyone employed at an intelligence agency with sufficent access.
          1. Meaning the following agencies very likely have easy warrantless access:
            1. American agencies
            2. Israeli agencies
            3. Canadian agencies
            4. Eurozone agencies
            5. Australian agencies
            6. Chinese agencies
          2. The above list is almost certain to be incomplete.
        5. Many outside intelligence but in fields like law enforcement or government.
        6. Nosy, over-empowered employees of various cloud providers with bad security models. (far less certain about this than government)
        7. Unknown human or nonhuman persons/agents of unknown intent.
      3. Possibly reading (very very easily in the realm of possibility, would only take the slightest nudges though it is made to seem very difficult because of encryption, but the truth is that model is slowly breaking)

1. Anyone/Anything capable of stringing all of this together to carry meaning.

Anyway, faced with those realities, it made a lot of sense to me to ensure that you would have the 2nd easiest access to my thoughts. Please enjoy seeing the beautiful things we produce, and know that I am already certain that many of them couldn't have been produced without you.

• faddatfaddat Member
    edited July 2014

The project, by the way, is not to solve this. While I do think all the peeking & spying is unethical, I reoriented my project because initially it was designed to solve expat difficulties in China. When I realized the gravity of the threat to the network posed by corporations arbitrarily deciding not to operate the network with good intent, it really overshadowed anything related to my situation. (governments have some claim to legitimacy and while I think the net is best unshackled, there's a certain point of view that I can understand (though not personally ascribe to) behind some censorship)

I'm hoping to achieve some neat infrastructural changes with this, but honestly I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to politics: Every place has its ups & downs and well, evil (like needlessly starting 2 wars) is still evil.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

How old are you?

faddat said: Those whom I consider to be "in my network," then I am giving you the keys to the kingdom..... Whatever I write, you are able and encouraged to edit. You will see me write it in real-time if you are looking. It is not possible for you to delete anything in a way that will cause me to be unable to undo your changes, so go ahead and give it a shot! It is in no way a violation of my privacy for you to be looking!

Last time I checked, LET was not a wiki.

faddat said: Often , we are physically distant while remaining mothers, teachers, fathers, students, brothers, classmates, sisters, friends, of the mind and heart! I hope that this will help us share our meaningful experiences and future plans with one another.

Dude, put down the X and stop humping our legs. You will not be the special snowflake that "saves the net".

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • faddatfaddat Member

Shubbles:

Can you tell me how to do that? I'm not too familiar with github. That's one of the reasons for the pace being what it is.

• faddatfaddat Member

@ihatetonyy said:
    "I read recently that folks in the USA on VERIZON FIBER OPTIC connections can't use netflix." They can. Because of peering disputes and dick waving it's just slow.

.... and don't you find that rather insane?

• faddatfaddat Member
    edited July 2014

raindog308 said: How old are you?

faddat said: Those whom I consider to be "in my network," then I am giving you the keys to the kingdom..... Whatever I write, you are able and encouraged to edit. You will see me write it in real-time if you are looking. It is not possible for you to delete anything in a way that will cause me to be unable to undo your changes, so go ahead and give it a shot! It is in no way a violation of my privacy for you to be looking!

Last time I checked, LET was not a wiki.

faddat said: Often , we are physically distant while remaining mothers, teachers, fathers, students, brothers, classmates, sisters, friends, of the mind and heart! I hope that this will help us share our meaningful experiences and future plans with one another.

>

Sorry, but RTFP! Dude that was a letter to my family & friends! And.... yes I like to wax philosophical and I don't think that's a crime and I'm not trying to be the special snowflake that saves the net. Frankly this would be nothing better than a patch-- I just think it's better to have a patch than none.

Additionally, duh it's incredibly improbable that one person would be able to "save the net." This is why I'm getting the idea out there. I'm not humping your leg, I'm trying to make the world a better place. It's totally fine with me if you don't want to help, but I'm here trying to solicit ideas/help from those who do, and it seems to me there are more than enough of them here, and that we might be able to do something that would impact a huge number of people in a positive way. I'm very OK with that.

• @faddat

No, because in the American regulatory climate that is normal right now. Netflix and most major ISPs are in a tug of war over bandwidth costs and peering.

This is not anything close to Russian internet censorship or China's GFW. It is ultimately an issue that only has an effect on some users of some ISPs.

• faddatfaddat Member
    edited July 2014

ihatetonyy said: No, because in the American regulatory climate that is normal right now. Netflix and most major ISPs are in a tug of war over bandwidth costs and peering.

This is not anything close to Russian internet censorship or China's GFW. It is ultimately an issue that only has an effect on some users of some ISPs.

You don't see it as more of an issue of topology/user control/net social contract? I'm not saying that other molestations of the net are OK. The net is probably the greatest single force for good in the world right now, and we oughtn't piss on it. Anyway, I'm going to keep plodding along on this. I hope that I can get far enough in it to make any sort of a dent in any of the problems the various use-cases represent. At worst, I'll have described a method for doing something good. At best, I'll form a community around the project, and we'll accomplish something good. I'm alright with the odds, ya know?

• said: P2P VPN

This sounds like Tor, I2P, or Freenet. Why remake the wheel?

Thanked by 1faddat
  • faddatfaddat Member
    edited July 2014

Silvenga: I hear you & have thought about this too.

Different use-case. This is not so much about privacy and instead more about speed/access. All of the tools you mentioned sacrifice speed for privacy. I want to ensure access & speed over privacy, and will make sure people know that from the outset. As demonstrated above, privacy isn't such a big deal to me. I know it is to others, and think those tools are good for those use-cases, but much less effective in the ones I am thinking of. Any privacy produced by this project is a byproduct.

Additionally, just hit your blog. Thanks for the extremely clear post on deploying Tinc :)!

• @faddat

It's shitty, and in most markets it's a duopoly between VZ or AT&T or CenturyLink and Comcast or TWC (now Comcast..) or Charter (which is divesting some markets to Comcast..) - effectively shit vs less shit, depending on how each provider views your market.

I would not put "I can't watch Orange is the New Black without buffering" on the same level as internet censorship in China or the Middle East or Russia, is what I'm saying.

• faddatfaddat Member

Allow me to present why I have this concern: Governments tend to be less effective in meeting their goals than they'd like to imagine.

Corporations on the other hand, have been pretty successful. I don't really favor one over the other-- in this case I hope to see both parties slip. And..... I guess I see a really, really slippery slope here. Part of the "deal" in being here (China) is that I've more or less given up the right to politics.... and darn it, this isn't something that I like, but I've got to say that I just don't care that much-- far less than I thought I would.

I'm neutral on China's government and I feel like it's no issue for me to say why: They've done some REALLY great stuff. Poverty is the most sickening, dignity-stripping affliction on this earth, in terms of scale and the wide variety of really nasty things that it does to those who are impoverished. It's also a fact that they've done things I don't think are OK. So in the end, well, I end up at about zero.

I very much hear what you're saying, though. The point behind trying this is: No one should have too much control over the net, that's really its saving grace as a design feature. It seems like we could pass some critical point and enjoy a greatly reduced capacity network, for many different reasons, and that's really, really bad.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • faddatfaddat Member

GBShouse: Thanks for N2N.

Silvenga said: This sounds like Tor, I2P, or Freenet. Why remake the wheel?

Looks like "the net" is already saved. Whew!

faddat said: The net is probably the greatest single force for good in the world right now

faddat said: I'm neutral on China's government and I feel like it's no issue for me to say why: They've done some REALLY great stuff. Poverty is the most sickening, dignity-stripping affliction on this earth, in terms of scale and the wide variety of really nasty things that it does to those who are impoverished. It's also a fact that they've done things I don't think are OK. So in the end, well, I end up at about zero.

You make zero sense, probably because you are 15 and don't have much experience writing:

• I'm neutral on China
    • They've done some (emphasized) great stuff I won't tell you about
    • Random observation on poverty that is apparently unconnected?
    • China has done things I don't approve of
    • So I rate China neutral

Or:

faddat said: I'm hoping to achieve some neat infrastructural changes with this, but honestly I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to politics: Every place has its ups & downs and well, evil (like needlessly starting 2 wars) is still evil.

• I'm hoping to do something cool
    • but in the same sentence I'm apathetic about politics
    • all nations are equal
    • also, evil is evil in case you didn't know
    • as proof, I refer you to two wars I will not specify. Maybe I mean the act of starting two wars, so you can assume I'm referring to the Empire of Rome and/or Imperial Japan.

I feel like I'm reading @mtwiscool's better-dressed brother.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • Decentralized storage sounds a lot like this:

http://storj.io/

It's based on the bitcoin blockchain.

Thanked by 1souen
  • faddatfaddat Member

Raindog: Let's never try and do anything, because ya know, that'd involve TRYING, instead of pissing. The net is based on a heck of a lof of trying things. I prefer to give it a shot. Again, it's totally fine with me if you don't, and it's totally fine with me if you think I'm just a twit.

I hope you feel satisfied by your detailed analysis of why I'm a jackass, and I mean that. It seems you need that type of satisfaction, and I'm glad I could provide it for you.

Have a great day!

faddat said: The net is based on a heck of a lof of trying things.

"The net" is just a handful of protocols.

faddat said: Let's never try and do anything

Everything you're proposing has already been tried and done, so...?

• faddatfaddat Member

Well then sir, please show me the global inverse cloud, and tell me about the applications you run on your node.

faddat said: Well then sir, please show me the global inverse cloud,

If you're referring to:

said: We do this: "everyone can self-host cloud apps and know that their content is backed up, encrypted, on other people's disks-- or not, at their discretion, and they can still collaborate, because nodes use a defined protocol for interoperability, and the devs of the world get an incredible new toy."

Then:

Tahoe-LAFS.

I suspect some googling will find many similar projects but this is likely the best known.

• So find the fastest route to the nearest server?

• wychwych Member

I agree with @serverian, for once ;)

Thanked by 1shrubbles
  • FlorisFloris Member

@raindog308 said:

too bad their servers are located in the usa... No go for me.