Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK/Europe SSD VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK/Europe SSD VPS

TeknoVenusTeknoVenus Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

Hi all,

Some great resources on both LEB and LET, so good work there!

Currently looking to move away from my shared hosting provider to a VPS, mainly because I didn't realise you could get a basic VPS for such little money. There's nothing wrong with my current host per se, but I am looking for the flexibility of a VPS. I specifically like the idea of a SSD based VPS, because I don't need a lot of storage but I want it to be as fast as possible.

I am in the UK, so I would prefer my VPS to be based in the UK or Europe (NL, Germany etc). I'm looking to spend no more than £4/month, so want to try and get the most out of my budget. I'm looking to be able to actually pay in GBP rather than USD because then I don't have to worry about VAT and conversion fees.

I'm looking at Rackburst from EvoRack, but there doesn't seem to be much about them and I haven't heard back from a pre-sales e-mail in >72 hours, which makes me nervous about their support. Rackburst offer a VPS in both UK and Germany, but their Germany one is on offer at the moment:

Cottage Plus

RAM: 1024MB (Guaranteed)/3072MB (including vSwap)
SuperFast Storage: 2GB SSD RAID 10
Standard Storage: 30GB RAID 10
vCPU Cores: 4
Monthly Bandwidth: 1000GB
Port Speed: 1 Gbps
VPS Price Per Month: €3.65 (Yearly) €3.99 Otherwise

So, does anyone know or can offer me an Unmanaged SSD VPS (OpenVZ is fine, I don't need KVM or Xen) that can rival the offer from Rackburst? Does anyone actually have any experience or comments about Rackburst?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2014

Vultr UK/NL

Linode UK

• LexLex Member
    edited July 2014

I'm curious, why do you need SSD for a website ? :)

What are you hosting ?

How much SSD space do you need ?

As far as I understand from the Rackburst offer, they only offer 2GB SSD, and 30GB HDD.

Anyway, I can only recommend what I've tested myself:

http://hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd-vps

For 7$ / month (~ £4.15) you get:
    3 vCPU cores

1GB ram / 1GB swap

40GB SSD speed

2TB bandwidth @ 1gbit.

(from my experience @ their netherlands location, the I/O speed varies between 700mb/s - 1.3gb/s)

• J1021J1021 Member

Vultr have a London location, payment can be made using PayPal which will handle the conversion for you.

DigitalOcean have a London location too, not sure on payment options.

Out of the two I would go for Vultr, their servers are top notch.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited July 2014

Onepoundhosting -> http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/659069/

if you need any benchmarks to be executed from one of their vpses just ask me. My container had 432 days uptime and it was only rebooted because they moved me to a newer node with better hardware free of charge.

Thanked by 1onepound
  • J1021J1021 Member

Jack said: Slough is Berkshire not London, right @infinity.

True. [/anal-retentive]

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jack said:
    Slough is Berkshire not London, right infinity.

Yep. Btw, they are carrier neutral DC. Constant just chooses not to use other carriers.

• DylanDylan Member

Definitely go with OpenITC's offer #3 in the post Wych linked to. Crazy deal for the price and their services are very solid. I think a few other providers even use them as a datacenter.

• Wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys!

There's a typo in my original post, Rackburst offer a 12GB SSD, not 2GB as I mentioned.

I'm curious, why do you need SSD for a website ? :)

What are you hosting ?

Good question! I don't really need an SSD at all, but I don't need much storage space and an SSD offers exactly that. I use SSD's in my own PC's, and love the speed increase they offer, so why not have one in a server? ;) This server is really going to be as much of a test bed and development platform as it is a website host. I'm a Windows guy primarily, but I'm really interested in getting into Linux, and what better way than a VPS? SSD VPS's are cheaper than I thought, offer enough storage, so why not?

So, from your replies, I've narrowed it down to 2 options - Vultr or DireVPS (Sorry Dave..).

DireVPS looks pretty nice actually, I like the blunt, honest nature of their website. The lack of support scares me, but it seems like their network is fairly solid. Thinking about it, the only time I've contacted my current host is to ask them about settings in Linux I can't change. And this isn't a mission critical server anyway.

Where is DireVPS's/OpenITC's DC?

• DylanDylan Member

@TeknoVenus said:
    Where is DireVPS's/OpenITC's DC?

They have multiple locations but those offers are out of RapidSwitch (iomart) in Maidenhead.

Thanked by 1TeknoVenus