Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPV6 ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPV6 ?

EggheadTekEggheadTek Member
edited July 2014 in General

So I guess we have NOC handing out IPV6 like candy. So I will make it short and sweet.

How many IPV6 is enough for a VPS?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

/64

• That's actually overkill, realistically guys

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

AFAIK that's the norm

Thanked by 1rm_
  • I would have to disagree there. You know how many IPs' are in a /64?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    Thanked by 1ucxo
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

A /64 is the standard range for an end user.

• If your ISP for your house provided ipv6 I belive they would provide you with a /64

@PcJamesy said:
    If your ISP for your house provided ipv6 I belive they would provide you with a /64

I get a /56 from mine.

• @trewq said:
    I get a /56 from mine.

I do agree with the OP that it is likely too many but there are sooo many that it's almost an unlimited supply and a user having a huge number of addresses doesn't really matter. Still the average user in reality doesn't care that they have them.

• /64 and /48 for each is normal. It's recommended really, since they're interpreted in subnets.

• The /64 is the standard range right now and should be fine for VPS handouts. Its definitely an insanely large number lol.

• berkayberkay Member

@EggheadTek said:
    I would have to disagree there. You know how many IPs' are in a /64?

What'd be your reason to not allocate a /64 per VPS if your upstream provides you a /56 or /48?

• tehdantehdan Member

65536 ports per IP is more than you need, but that's what you get. Its clear the IPv6 is designed to be doled out in multiples of /64. If you start giving customers smaller allocations in the same /64's you will cause them headaches as IPv6 gains increased adoption.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • tehdantehdan Member

@ihateonyy excellent. Gutted that I may have to hand back some of unused /64s as soon as 70,369,999,999 AD.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

@EggheadTek said:
    That's actually overkill, realistically guys

Its not.

@netomx said:
    AFAIK that's the norm

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Providers often blacklist IPv6's by the /64, so sharing it with a load of VPS's isn't such a good idea...

• @linuxthefish says right thing. Websites often identify /64 as a single user, like, they can throttle speed or ban not just a single IP, but whole /64 network.

Thanked by 2rm_ EggheadTek
  • EggheadTek said: That's actually overkill, realistically guys

Hell, I want my toaster to have a IPv6 address. This is totally reasonable!

• Enjoy your Spamhaus SBL listings for IPv6 ;)

• Sorry, I am failing to see why one would need such a godly amount of IP addresses for one VPS. I did some searching and it seems either a block of 16 or 32 is the norm. As others have said there is room for the abuse of spamming and the likes.

edited July 2014

@EggheadTek said:
    Sorry, I am failing to see why one would need such a godly amount of IP addresses for one VPS. I did some searching and it seems either a block of 16 or 32 is the norm. As others have said there is room for the abuse of spamming and the likes.

If you can't read technical documents, research and actually understand the base idea of IPv6, please don't have it as a feature of your service.

EDIT: If I'm going to tell you off like this I feel like I need to guide you in the correct direction. The link below gives you a run down on the concepts you are struggling, it's got ads everywhere but the content is good.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2223248/cisco-subnet/the-logic-of-bad-ipv6-address-management.html

Good luck!

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy ucxo
  • @EggheadTek said:
    Sorry, I am failing to see why one would need such a godly amount of IP addresses for one VPS. I did some searching and it seems either a block of 16 or 32 is the norm. As others have said there is room for the abuse of spamming and the likes.

One does not simply do bad networking without an effort.

• Lesson learned: CompTIA Network+ certification is useless.

Thanked by 20xdragon Dylan
  • trewq said: If you can't read technical documents, research and actually understand the base idea of IPv6, please don't have it as a feature of your service.

I never said it was a feature of my service nor did I imply that at any time. I guess since you are assuming I can't read nor understand tech documents and I do not understand IPV6. Maybe you should read the question again

trewq said: EDIT: If I'm going to tell you off like this I feel like I need to guide you in the correct direction. The like below gives you a run down on the concepts you are struggling, it's got ads everywhere but the content is good.

Maybe if you would have answered instead of ASSUMING you would have posted the answer to my question

linuxthefish said: Providers often blacklist IPv6's by the /64, so sharing it with a load of VPS's isn't such a good idea...

I did not see this answer until now so this person actually answered the question. Ohh look and they did it without "Telling me off"..........

• EggheadTekEggheadTek Member
    edited July 2014

@serverian said:
    Lesson learned: CompTIA Network+ certification is useless.

Thank you and have a wonderful day for your kind help sir, it was of utmost importance that you gave me the correct answer. Please forgive me if I do not retaliate with some remark back to you. I do not do such things.

Lesson learned, this place is just like WHT. Full of know it all wannabe children

Thanked by 1shovenose
  • EggheadTek said: Lesson learned, just like WHT, I am a wannabe child who doesn't grasp the concept of IPv6.

FTFY

Thanked by 2Pwner ucxo
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

EggheadTek said: Full of know it all

You asked a question, you got it answered in spades. And instead of learning a thing or two, you are now complaining that the answer is not what you wanted it to be, insulting the whole forum in the process.

Thanked by 2lbft ucxo
  • eddynetweb said: EggheadTek said: Lesson learned, just like WHT, I am a wannabe child who doesn't grasp the concept of IPv6.

FTFY

Good one. Nice for a laugh

• @rm_ said:
    You asked a question, you got it answered in spades. And instead of learning a thing or two, you are now complaining that the answer is not what you wanted it to be, insulting the whole forum in the process.

No just people like yourself who cant read. You will see I acknowledged the answer but you had to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Last time I visit thread because this is going nowheresville and should be closed because people have derailed it.