Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

simfs crippled? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

simfs crippled?

Comments

• @Dilt said: Man, it's like you can't share any relevant personal experience with a topic without people going crazy... But only if you're from BuyVM.

Well said.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@Dilt

Because if it's oversold, you can't use it! See Aldryic's post.

Since when? I think you must be confusing 'oversold' with 'overselling'

In regards to RAM, we sort of are. We sell our nodes based on guaranteed RAM, but we provide double the memory in the form of 'burst' RAM. We have it configured so that if the node requires more memory, it takes from the used burst RAM. It gives the benefits of overselling without actually doing it.

There is no 'sort of' to it, you either are or you aren't.

Man, it's like you can't share any relevant personal experience with a topic without people going crazy... But only if you're from BuyVM.

I guess what we can take from you guys participation here is that you oversell.

@Aldryic said: Okay, fair enough. But what's the difference between someone torrenting music, and someone torrenting legit files? If you have 3 people torrenting music/movies, and 10 people maxing out the HDD on the same VPS plans with legit/legal data, then the space is being burned either way. What do you do when you have enough heavy-HDD legit clients on a node that you can't terminate for DMCA to balance things out?

The difference is the person torrenting legit files isn't going to use near the disk space that the person torrenting music did. You don't count on terminating for DMCA for every user that uses over X disk space like you are wording this. You account for some legit users to use all of their disk space by a formula you generate from experience and education.

• @Corey said: There is no 'sort of' to it, you either are or you aren't.

We guarantee the guaranteed RAM. The nodes are sold so that each VM can use it's guaranteed RAM without fear. Burst is offered 'as available', and is not guaranteed. While it's there, it can be used.

@Corey said: I guess what we can take from you guys participation here is that you oversell.

If you don't comprehend what Dilt and I just explained, I suppose -shrug-. Take it how you will, but no misinterpretation will change fact. Such as my misreading of your 'abuse' statements. I could take from what you said that you consider resource usage to be abuse... but I'd rather accept your explanation that this is not the case.

@Corey said: The difference is the person torrenting legit files isn't going to use near the disk space that the person torrenting music did.

Not necessarily true. We have plenty of perfectly legit clients that not only use their allotted HDD space, but purchase addons because they need more.

@Corey said: You don't count on terminating for DMCA for every user that uses over X disk space like you are wording this.

Like I said above, I was hoping you would clarify that point, as it sounded before like you considered resource usage to be a terminable offense.

@Corey said: You account for some legit users to use all of their disk space by a formula you generate from experience and education.

Please use correct pronouns.. "I" is the correct one there, not "You". We don't take it for granted that users will consume less than what they paid for; we base our business model around providing what we sold. I'm not saying that's the right way to do things, that everyone should do it like that. That's simply our choice to make, and you have no ground to just make assumptions on how we run our business.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldyric if YOU didn't then how would YOU sell your burst ram, and your bandwidth? If only 1000 people were on your 512 plan and you sold nothing else and everyone used all of their bandwidth you would be pushing 3000mbit/sec for just those 1000 customers.

• DiltDilt Member
    edited June 2012

@Corey said: There is no 'sort of' to it, you either are or you aren't.
    @Dilt said: We sell our nodes based on guaranteed RAM

We sell our VPSes based on how much RAM is in the node, minus overhead. So if there's 40GB of RAM that isn't for overhead, and we're selling 1GB VPSes, we'd put 40 on there. The individual VPSes would have access to 2GB of RAM total (1GB guaranteed, with an additional burst of 1GB permitted). If everyone on the node is using their 1GB of guaranteed RAM and the node is 100% sold, any additional requests for RAM would be rejected by the OS/use swap (which would mean their additional 1GB of burst RAM would be unavailable).

@Corey said: I guess what we can take from you guys participation here is that you oversell.
    @Dilt said: Man, it's like you can't share any relevant personal experience with a topic without people going crazy... But only if you're from BuyVM.

I'm going to call this trollbait.

@Corey said: The difference is the person torrenting legit files isn't going to use near the disk space that the person torrenting music did.

You would be surprised, especially with how many parts of the gaming industry have embraced torrenting. As an example, the recent Humble Bundles provided torrents for all games and their soundtracks.

Also, it's hard to be sure if a user's files are actually 'legitimate' or not unless you verify with the copyright holder if the user has permission to torrent those files. If your company supports client confidentiality, then you'll have to rely on legitimate DMCA notices to tell. Not to even mention the morality of peeking into a client's personal information to see what files they are torrenting to begin with.

@Corey said: @Aldyric if YOU didn't then how would YOU sell your burst ram, and your bandwidth? If only 1000 people were on your 512 plan and you sold nothing else and everyone used all of their bandwidth you would be pushing 3000mbit/sec

I have to agree, we are overselling our bandwidth. We'd be pushing 6000mbit/sec if 1000 VPSes used 2000GB of bandwidth every month. If you think about it, we're also overselling our CPUs as well. And someone could easily eat up all the iops available.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(2000*1000)+GB+in+one+month+in+megabits+per+second

Edit: Oh wait, 512 as in the burst ram. Yeah, that would be 3000mbps, that plan is 1000GB/mo.

• @Corey said: You account for some legit users to use all of their disk space by a formula you generate from experience and education.

And what happens when some people that don't normally use their full space start using it? There's not really an equation that could determine how a the clients of the nodes will use their space. In my opinion, I don't see it fit if a company says you are able to use X amount of space, but then later on you are not able to use that space due to the fact that other people allocated the space before you, and your guaranteed space is not so guaranteed. I have some VMS where I'll be using 6GB one day, and the very next day I'm at 49GB out of my 50GB allocation.

Some small profits versus company reputation.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Insidiea it's impossible that everyone on that node will start using ALL of their resources at the same time.

Please see my statement about bandwidth.

@Corey said: @Aldyric if YOU didn't then how would YOU sell your burst ram, and your bandwidth? If only 1000 people were on your 512 plan and you sold nothing else and everyone used all of their bandwidth you would be pushing 3000mbit/sec for just those 1000 customers.

• People have different opinions of overselling...

Lets say your selling 16gb of ram. (We wont count other resources for the sake of keeping this simple)

You Sell 16 people 1gb... Ok thats SOME peoples idea of not overselling.......

Now you have the avg person using less than 256mb of their ram, and maybe 1 person using close to their full 1gb.. So in reality lets say your using 2gb of ram on avg... and peaking out at 4gb of ram at highest usage!!? So if you sell another 16 accounts, and they avg 4gb and peak out 8gb your still not technically over selling in my opinion.

I understand TECHNICALLY it might be overselling but whatever... imo your NOT overselling if your still peaking out at half of the available resources even if youve sold double the available resources..

• @Corey said: @Aldyric if YOU didn't then how would YOU sell your burst ram

We don't sell burst ram. Like I said before, Guaranteed RAM is always available. Burst ram can be freely used when available.

@Corey said: If only 1000 people were on your 512 plan and you sold nothing else and everyone used all of their bandwidth you would be pushing 3000mbit/sec for just those 1000 customers.

We set generously high bandwidth limits. Like I've explained several times before... the bandwidth limits on on our plans are exactly that; limits. The amount of bandwidth we allow each plan to use before the service is suspended; and must either wait for the reset date or pickup an extension. We make no secret about being on a 2gbit line in Coresite.

• @Corey said: @Insidiea it's impossible that everyone on that node will start using ALL of their resources at the same time.

It doesn't take everyone. Depends on how badly you oversell your resources, all it may take is a handful. Even if 3/4 of your clients could max out resources before the node hits its limit, that's simply a chance we will not take.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic so you do oversell your bandwidth then? :) Seems like you are taking a chance there.

Reiterating how you customers bandwidth is a limit does 0 good. All of their resources are a limit. The fact still stands that if 1000 of your 512 users use all their bandwidth you will be pushing 3000mbit/sec

• TazTaz Member

@Aldryic Ditto. What customer paid for should get it. If you can not do it and use shaddy godaddy theory, then why sell limited vps? Sell unlimited vps with fair usage clause.

• @Corey said: @Aldryic so you do oversell your bandwidth then? :)

No, we impose bandwidth limits. For example, a 128KVM with no addons may only use 500GB per month. The alternative to this is simply removing the limits and making the plans unmetered.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic you are dodging the fact and trying to twist it around somehow.

If 1000 of your 512mb ($3.50/mo) users use ALLL of their bandwidth then they will be pushing 3000mbit/sec

For example: A 512mb node may use 1000gb of bandwidth in a month. That is equivalent to 3mb/s. Multiply that by 1000 users and that's 3000mb/s

It's no secret that you have a 2gbit to coresite so then you would be oversold right?

• @Corey said: @Aldryic you are dodging the fact and trying to twist it around somehow.

Actually, just the opposite of that. I clearly stated that we are not selling guaranteed bandwidth (after all, you cannot guarantee constant speeds to every client around the globe, to claim otherwise is utter folly), that we impose bandwidth limits. You are the one attempting to twist my words to some needless argument.

I said it a few posts back, I'll say it again. You have your way of selling resources, we have ours. Never once did I claim that either was right or wrong; I simply wanted clarification on a few of your statements. Any particular reason you choose to turn that into some kind of fight?

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

I think this has turned into another of Aldryics "i'm better than you" threads, so "everyone should use BuyVM instead of compeitiors". I don't think it's any secret many providers oversell, financially it makes sense, and personally I could care less as long as it

1)doesn't hurt the performance of the node i'm on too bad
    2)I can access/use every bit of resources promised to me when I signed up.

Even still I get the fact VPS is still sharing resources so I have to be a good neighbor, but there still needs to be some breathing room otherwise users may as well be on slow(and probably oversold) hostgator shared hosting plans :P

Maybe one day when I really need to slam the CPU and disk I may just get a dedi server :P

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: It doesn't take everyone. Depends on how badly you oversell your resources, all it may take is a handful. Even if 3/4 of your clients could max out resources before the node hits its limit, that's simply a chance we will not take.

I think you are trying to play with the wording a little too much. You are saying that you sell pretty much the same way we all do, but load nodes based on guaranteed ram, so if a 48gb node will contain less that 48gb of guaranteed service, but when you add in burst, you might have sold 90gb on the node. Which I call effective resource management. I do know disk is rarely an issue, 1 cuz people just don't use what they are given often, and Fran loves to overbuy disk anyway since they are cheap as hell.

I can't really keep a straight face while reading this thread, watching people argue fiercely while on the same side of the fence and trying to make it look different. And then the general public chiming in here and there because they saw the word oversell, people, get over the over use of the word being seriously negative, it isn't, but overloading is the condition that you are really trying to avoid. If you re getting what you need from your provider who is actively managing their resources so as to not provide you with overloaded resources, wtf do you care?

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @taipres said: I think this has turned into another of Aldryics "i'm better than you" threads, so "everyone should use BuyVM instead of compeitiors".

Aaah, I was wondering when the peanut gallery would chime in. I suppose I should've known you just couldn't resist stirring up drama instead of engaging in normal conversation.

@taipres said: I don't think it's any secret many providers oversell, financially it makes sense, and personally I could care less as long as it

1)doesn't hurt the performance of the node i'm on too bad

2)I can access/use every bit of resources promised to me when I signed up.

Even still I get the fact VPS is still sharing resources so I have to courteous of usage, but there still needs to be some breathing room otherwise users may as well be on slow(and probably oversold) hostgator shared hosting plans :P

100% correct. Like I've said thrice now, I never insinuated that reasonable oversell is wrong/bad, it's simply a practice we do not follow.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldyric and we keep stating that you do follow that practice but you keep denying it for some reason. I don't get how you state that you do not sell guaranteed bandwidth but you do. Speed to people across the globe is irrelevant when you are selling it by the GB. You are also basically saying 'we know that some of our clients aren't going to use the bandwidth because the speed to their location isn't optimal so we can sell more than our pipe can handle' :)

• @Aldryic

Everyone is simply saying different things.

By SOME peoples standards you are clearly overselling. You can Not give everyone of your clients the amount of bandwidth that your "limits" are set at. Its simply not possible. Not with a profit at least.

You are simply arguing that you DO NOT oversell, which by some peoples standards you do, and by other peoples standards you may not..

I agree its not really over selling because the ODDS of everyone using that bandwidth is practically non existent.. However you are selling more bandwidth (and I'd be willing to bet other resources) then you can physically produce with a profit....

But AGAIN, as I mentioned earlier... If the resources are always available.. its not really overselling in my opinion.. But technically, yes it is overselling.

• @miTgiB said: I think you are trying to play with the wording a little too much. You are saying that you sell pretty much the same way we all do, but load nodes based on guaranteed ram, so if a 48gb node will contain less that 48gb of guaranteed service, but when you add in burst, you might have sold 90gb on the node. Which I call effective resource management.

You are correct sir. But we make it plainly clear that burst is 'when available', not guaranteed. I don't consider that a play on words so much as just being honest. If you wish to call burst an oversold resource that's fine.. I just don't agree with being able to oversell something you're not guaranteeing.

@miTgiB said: And then the general public chiming in here and there

Aye, unexperienced opinion does tend to get aggravating. I suppose I should've just PMed my concerns to Corey directly though, and saved everyone else all of the drama associated with (intentionally) misinterpreted phrasing.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You two aren't going to catch us with our pants down here so stop trying :)

• CPU is shared, fully documented of that. There's no one on here that sells 'dedicated cores'
    • Memory is guaranteed since each node has 48GB. Burstable, obviously, because we'd call it guaranteed if it was. We've never had a user get OOM'd because the box was out of RAM, it's always because they simply hit privvmpages/physpages
    • Bandwidth is fully documented as to what we have and in Fremont we had fully public graphs. Every so often I'll usually paste a snip from ifstat showing what our transit usage is like at certain times of the day. Our peak ours are normally in the night for us giving our US people a lot of free room. Peaks are around 1.2 - 1.4Gbit at night
    • Space is sold with most nodes have plenty of extra. KVM nodes and our storage node are tighter than the OpenVZ nodes but that's simply because the storage node is sold to the max and KVM is half the array size. KVM also gets half as many VM's, though.
    • More bandwidth is available within 24 hours if we liked. When we moved into coresite egi offered to put us on a 95% 10Gbit port but we weren't interested

Francisco

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic said: Aaah, I was wondering when the peanut gallery would chime in. I suppose I should've known you just couldn't resist stirring up drama instead of engaging in normal conversation.

I've read the "normal conversation" you're having, which consists of you twisting Coreys words to try and throw his company under the bus, as well as probably most providers on here.

@Aldryic said: 100% correct. Like I've said thrice now, I never insinuated that reasonable oversell is wrong/bad, it's simply a practice we do not follow.

Give me a break...comments like this

@Aldryic said: out other companies. Not all of us sit and pray that our clients won't use the resources we've sold them.

Is going right for the jugular. Yeah you just said "reasonable overselling" to try and cover yourself, but you know full well, you're how you say, "slinging mud".

• Kinda changing sides to the middle now, but if you do oversell, do it correctly, so where the customer never notices that they aren't able to use their full hdd/ram allocation.
    If it comes to where the customer isn't able to utilize their full allocations, then it usually leaves a bad image of your company in a clients head.

@wrhoton said: Not with a profit at least.

Maybe you couldn't but we got offered a full 10Gbit for ~$7k/m if push came to shove.

Francisco

• CoreyCorey Member

@Francisco said: You two aren't going to catch us with our pants down here so stop trying :)

Noone was trying to catch you with your pants down - @Aldyric came saying you didn't oversell anything when it's obvious you do.

@Corey said: Noone was trying to catch you with your pants down - @Aldyric came saying you didn't oversell anything when it's obvious you do.

If we ran out of bandwidth i'd simply go buy more to give us a buffer, I wouldn't say 'welp, SJ is only getting 2Gbit, deal with it'.

Only an idiot buys 10Gbit of transit when he's barely hitting 15% of the commit :P I can take that cash and simply pocket it for other fun things like vacation for the staff.

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: If you wish to call burst an oversold resource

Nope, I didn't call it an oversold resource, I believe my words were "Effective resource management"

• @taipres - instead of trying to troll, how about you get some experience in the fields you like to bicker about before trying to put on big boy pants and wading in. All I need to say.

@Corey said: @Aldyric and we keep stating that you do follow that practice but you keep denying it for some reason.

I could state that you use apples as suppositories, but doubtless you would deny it, no? I'm going to leave it at that, and assume that you can make the connection.

@Corey said: I don't get how you state that you do not sell guaranteed bandwidth but you do.

Because that 128KVM isn't guaranteed to use all 500GB, period. Unless the user is going to sit there and repeatedly hammer cachefly files, you cannot guarantee transit outside your network, period. But what I can guarantee is that once that VPS reaches 500GB, it will be shut down until the counter resets, or an addon is applied.

Let me say that one more time, just to make sure you understand. We do not guarantee that the VPS will use all 500GB. We CLEARLY state that 500GB is the limit for that plan (as opposed to burying it as a TOS clause, etc).

@wrhoton said: By SOME peoples standards you are clearly overselling. You can Not give everyone of your clients the amount of bandwidth that your "limits" are set at. Its simply not possible. Not with a profit at least.

Please take care to read both sides. See the above two paragraphs for explanation on this.

• wrhotonwrhoton Member
    edited June 2012

/edit

EVERYONES argument here is REALLY about what is overselling? Its simply a matter of what you consider overselling and what you dont consider overselling.