Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Canada Test - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Canada Test

Comments

• tuxtux Member
    edited June 2012

@firentire said: Send an email to [email protected] and someone from OVH Canada will respond to you.

The email provided is coming back with failure notice.

Are you subscribed to this mail list?

• lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2012

@rm_ said: The micro vKSes are a bit better in this aspect, there is no set period for which they are provided, and from their page it even can be concluded they will be free for the foreseeable future (but "must be renewed manually every month").

They seem a bit unsure as to what to do with them. Some quotes from OVH staff on the geo_vks mailing list:

Questions about renewal:

Will we have to renew the geo-vks server each month to keep it?

Yes

When the beta will be over?

No info yet

Will we loose the micro vKS at the end of the beta?

Same (please avoid using it as a prod server)

In reply to another message:

Renew will be free for the duration of the beta (not determined yet).

This seems more alpha than beta to me:

The traffic count is not enabled for now

and

We are experimenting with QoS limitations, that’s why you may see speed inconsistencies.

This was interesting:

For now there is no plan to release the Micro vKS as a commercial offer – it was made specifically for this beta.
    Would you be interested ? For what kind of use ?

Seems like they're surprised that anyone would want a 128 :)

• sandozsandoz Veteran

i got a code, but closed the page before i could enter it

anyone know where else i can enter it?

• AmfyAmfy Member

@sandoz enter your details on the page again and you will be able to enter the code :)

• Woohoo, my server got delivered.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited June 2012

@amfy, thanx
    but i keep getting
    An error occurred, saving could not be completed, please check your information.

any idea?
    it worked for a vks with my nic handle

• @Night said: Yea, I've made one on both .ie and .com and both did not work. The vKS site says "An error occurred when registering your information. Please try again."

Same issue :(

• @birdie25 said: Woohoo, my server got delivered.

Same here, got delivered this morning. ;)

• sandozsandoz Veteran

@Night said: Yea, I've made one on both .ie and .com and both did not work. The vKS site says "An error occurred when registering your information. Please try again.">

same here, no idea what i am doing wrong

• debugdebug Member

Did you guys verify your account? (i.e. provide documentation to ovh's support).

• @debug said: Did you guys verify your account? (i.e. provide documentation to ovh's support).

I didn't need to, I live in the UK.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@debug said: Did you guys verify your account? (i.e. provide documentation to ovh's support).

While I realize OVH is not just a business run by a 15 yo, providing any pictures of any legal documents is a security risk, a big one I think.
    A rogue employee might run off with those or they can be leaked meaning lots of ppl could impersonate you. The DC might even try to cover up as this will be a huge blow to them and you wont know until it gets too late and then you will probably not even know how it happened since they might never tell and the "hacker" will never be caught.
    Heck, someone might hack your email and find there everything they need (in the sent forlder, for example).
    It is much more risky, legally wise, that running an exit Tor node, not to mention financially unsafe. That is my opinion, of course.
    M

• MeeMee Member

Got my beta server :) Now to figure out what I want to do with it.

• @Maounique said: providing any pictures of any legal documents is a security risk, a big one I think.

A scanned copy of a passport can't be used to proove anything.

• @Maounique said: providing any pictures of any legal documents is a security risk, a big one I think.

BurstNET do the same if you are from outside the US or Europe.

edited June 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: A scanned copy of a passport can't be used to proove anything.

Exactly, then why do they need it ?

@MrLadoodle said: BurstNET do the same if you are from outside the US or Western Europe.

Fixed it. I know because they asked me too, since then it means they dont need me and I dont need them. Have enough VPSes anyway.

M

• @Maounique said: Exactly, then why do they need it ?

Because it at least reduces the chance that you signed up using fake details.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: A scanned copy of a passport can't be used to proove anything.

I have sent the driver's license, it's a less important document than the passport, and is still okay for them.

Thanked by 1NanoG6

Ah, sooo...
    Long ago, in the 1999-2000 I was working for some "cams" site, video chat for money in my night job as an admin. They had a blank ID and key generator to "prove" anyone is over 18.
    That can be done today also. That kind of "proof" can be fabricated by anyone, a lot of authenticity to it, like print the fake ID, put it into plastic, scan it, voila...
    Nope, it is wrong and it is dangerous, criminals will bypass it, only regular ppl expose themselves to the risk, in the end only real criminals benefit.
    M

• sandozsandoz Veteran

i didn't send anything, but my vks got setup on ovh.nl
    i am from holland
    my BHS did not

no idea who to contact

• @sandoz said: no idea who to contact

BHS takes a while for them to setup (2 weeks)

• sandozsandoz Veteran

the signup page doesn't accept my nichandle

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Is this for these three countries only?
    I received the activation code, but I'm unable to register / create nic handle :(

• You must be on OVH.ie

Try your local OVH website.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@MrLadoodle said: Try your local OVH website.

What's my local OVH website? I'm in Asia! :D

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@MrLadoodle said: Try your local OVH website.

And if your country doesn't have one, use http://www.ovh.com/ in French (it has all countries), with Google Translate when needed.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited June 2012

@rm_ said: And if your country doesn't have one, use http://www.ovh.com/ in French (it has all countries), with Google Translate when needed.

Thanks @rm_ I made it. But now I forgot the page / link to enter the activation code. Goddammit. Anyone knows / remember where?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@rm_ said: @NanoG6 you mean these?

https://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/commande_usa_beta.xml

Yep that one! Thanks once again @rm_ ;)

• The "French Touch" arrives in the US.

Wait? Its in Canada?