Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Canada Test - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Canada Test

Comments

• Hard to get one :)

• wahyanwahyan Member

@NateN34 said: they are usually free for some allotted time

How about their VKS? How long can we use it for free?

• @wahyan said: How about their VKS? How long can we use it for free?

One month, starting from whenever you got it.

• bretonbreton Member

Follow us on twitter first!

I ain't even got that twittor thing!

• My dedi finally got provisioned today - has anyone else had issues with OVH's damned vKVM crap?

All I want in life is to install SL6, and I'm never getting the emails with the VNC login information. They're not even showing up in Manager.

• @ihatetonyy said: My dedi finally got provisioned today - has anyone else had issues with OVH's damned vKVM crap?

Their vKVM isn't KVM or IPMI. It boots your server into a kernel that starts a VNC server.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited June 2012

@ihatetonyy: My beta dedi has the same issue, vKVM does not work. Also: the OVH Esxi 5.0 custom template is broken (the vmware tools package is missing). The network is still slow, 30 minutes to transfer the Windows 2008r2 iso from Prometeus. The OVH manager is missing sections, for example: it is not possible to add failover IP's. It is a real "beta". On a side note, this new OVH "sp mini 2012" hardware is a good server. It has a relatively fast Sata disk, faster than the "EG best-off" with the optional hardware raid.

• Sorry, we have reached the limit of available servers for today. Please try again tomorrow! :( Same thing here

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@firentire said: Sorry, we have reached the limit of available servers for today. Please try again tomorrow! :( Same thing here

Well the day is almost over, so it's not a big surprise. (It's 19:33 GMT+1 here).

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @ihatetonyy Just tried the vKVM option and didn't get a mail neither.
    On standard OVH servers the mail is sent as soon as the system boots.

Remember the vKVM is not to reinstall your system, it is a virtual machine and your disks are mounted into it and booted into the system. It's for troubleshooting of startup/kernel errors.

You can reinstall your system using the OVH reinstall system, if your distro is not there you will need to manually do a vnc install. I have done this with centOS once, but not with SL6.

@nabo @firentire you should follow @OVH. they give the times that the servers are available. And usually there gone in minutes.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2012

FWIW I had the same issue with the vKVM mail not arriving when I got mine when they first started activating these ~2 weeks ago. I didn't make a ticket because I assumed it was because they'd just started activating them but if it's still going on maybe they don't know about it...

@StableVDS said: if your distro is not there you will need to manually do a vnc install.

...which you do through vKVM.

• @lbft, no.
    It's a trick where you download the boot chains and do a vnc netinstall through the system itself. So the system reboots and boots and mounts a VNC.

• lbftlbft Member

@StableVDS said: It's a trick where you download the boot chains and do a vnc netinstall through the system itself. So the system reboots and boots and mounts a VNC.

Fair enough, I wasn't familiar with that method.

The simplest way however is still to boot into vKVM and boot an ISO over FTP.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@StableVDS said: @nabo @firentire you should follow @OVH. they give the times that the servers are available. And usually there gone in minutes.

I never complained about the time nor the availbility ;-)

• @nabo, just a fyi.

• @Daniel said: The drives they are using for the beta servers are fairly good too, even with software raid 1.

no way? Can you post harddrive details? Also can you post how much harddrive space is left ...

• @BassHost said: no way? Can you post harddrive details? Also can you post how much harddrive space is left ...

root@ns4000525:~#  lshw -class disk -class storage
      *-storage               
           description: SATA controller
           product: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 1f.2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
           logical name: scsi1
           logical name: scsi4
           version: 05
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 66MHz
           capabilities: storage msi pm ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list emulated
           configuration: driver=ahci latency=0
           resources: irq:42 ioport:f0d0(size=8) ioport:f0c0(size=4) ioport:f0b0(size=8) ioport:f0a0(size=4) ioport:f060(size=32) memory:fe925000-fe9257ff
         *-disk:0
              description: ATA Disk
              product: ST1000DM003-9YN1
              vendor: Seagate
              physical id: 0
              bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
              logical name: /dev/sda
              version: CC4H
              serial: W1D17DXG
              size: 931GiB (1TB)
              capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
              configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=0002fa95
         *-disk:1
              description: ATA Disk
              product: ST1000DM003-9YN1
              vendor: Seagate
              physical id: 1
              bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
              logical name: /dev/sdb
              version: CC4H
              serial: W1D17E70
              size: 931GiB (1TB)
              capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
              configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=00064b94

root@ns4000525:~# df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md1               10G  1.8G  7.8G  19% /
    tmpfs                 7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /lib/init/rw
    udev                   10M  172K  9.9M   2% /dev
    tmpfs                 7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev/shm
    /dev/md2              921G  7.0G  868G   1% /home

• 96mb96mb Member

Finally got myself a test box after getting up at 5am for the second time...

• lumaluma Member

@96mb said: Finally got myself a test box after getting up at 5am for the second time...

Now the wait begins to get the actual server :)

Poor OVH techs in that DC must be busy assembling servers!

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited June 2012

Thank you!
    We have just send you a DM to your Twitter account

Aw yeah.

Edit:

An error occurred, saving could not be completed, please check your information.

Aw no.

(Anyone else get that? Might it have something to do with the fact I have no prior OVH services and my account is brand-spankin' new?)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2012

I did not try to get a dedicated server, don't see any use for one if it's to become a paid one in about a month (as it's posted in various places).

The micro vKSes are a bit better in this aspect, there is no set period for which they are provided, and from their page it even can be concluded they will be free for the foreseeable future (but "must be renewed manually every month"). Also among their locations Hong Kong interests me greatly, so today I just went and managed to get a vKS in there. :)

• fanfan Veteran

@rm_ said: I did not try to get a dedicated server, don't see any use for one if it's to become a paid one in about a month (as it's posted in various places).

The micro vKSes are a bit better in this aspect, there is no set period for which they are provided, and from their page it even can be concluded they will be free for the foreseeable future (but "must be renewed manually every month"). Also among their locations Hong Kong interests me greatly, so today I just went and managed to get a vKS in there. :)

Every time I try I got error message saying they've reached their max number of vKS of the day, mind telling when did you managed to get one?

@fan you need to follow their twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ovh

Every day they announce which hour, then 15 mins ahead, and then the actual launch.

• I got the activation code, but there is no way to create an account :(

You have to create an account in advance via https://www.ovh.com/fr/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi

• Already did that here https://www.ovh.ie/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi and is giving me errors when i try to enter nickhandle and pass. What a waste!

• @firentire said: Already did that here

Make one using ovh.com, copy and paste the text into Google Translate if need be. The NICHandle(s) I created with ovh.ie didn't work, but when I entered the one I created with ovh.com, it worked fine.

That was for dedi, not vKS, but I suspect their lack of competence extends to the vKS form as well.

• @ihatetony I have no issues with french language. I already made an account on ovh.com and i have the same problem. :((

• NightNight Member

Yea, I've made one on both .ie and .com and both did not work. The vKS site says "An error occurred when registering your information. Please try again."

• I get the same error message! I emailed support from client area. Here is their response

"Hello,

Unfortunately we are unable to help you here as this is the Irish office.

Send an email to [email protected] and someone from OVH Canada will respond to you.

Regards,

Linda
    OVH Support
    "
    The email provided is coming back with failure notice.