Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quality vs Quantity
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quality vs Quantity

Something I've been wondering about with DediCube is the question of quality vs quantity.

Would you rather save $25 a month on a dedicated server, but get a lower quality network/support team or spend that extra money? To you, where is that perfect mix of quality vs pricing?

Comments

• Here, people demand to save money and get the best.

• DediCube is extremely expensive. End of story.

It's not about saving $25 a month, it's about that you can have at least 4 servers for the price of one of yours with other providers.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

why not both

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @concerto49 said:
    Here, people demand to save money and get the best.

Well, that's just not possible. I'm spending a lot of money on our support team and I would never be able to do it at the pricing people here would expect.

@albertdb said:
    DediCube is extremely expensive. End of story.

Hope you're not going by the pricing listed on our site! We're actually selling E3s for $75 a month (+75% off the first month)! The site is out-dated and we're just waiting on our designer to finish up until we push out a site with proper pricing and everything (hopefully before August 1).

• @jcaleb said:
    why not both

It's just not reasonable. Proper support is going to cost you tens-of-thousands a month and selling a $40 a month server just doesn't leave enough room to provide a real support team. Of course, you could outsource to India and get some crappy team for 1/6 the cost (seriously, I can get a team of Indians for 1/6 the cost of a team of Americans NOT INCLUDING OFFICE COSTS), but it's just not the name.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2014

Cheap or reliable, pick one.

I'll always go with reliable.

• Whichever one requires me to contact support the least amount possible.

Thanked by 2netomx Caveman122
  • GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited July 2014

As long as there are no problems caused on the provider's side, I would apply for a lower quality support as I wouldn't be needing much support. If there are a lot of known and ongoing problems with the provider based on customer's reviews and experience, I would just avoid ordering from the provider overall no matter how good the support is.

• Steven_F said: Something I've been wondering about with DediCube is the question of quality vs quantity.

What type of customer are you trying to reach?

If you try to scrape LET, you're going to get "quantity and give me as much quality as you can because if you don't I'll just go to OVH anyway" and if you try to go for people who truly rely on your services, you're going to get "give me as much quality as you can because more than five minutes of downtime a year is unacceptable."

• blackblack Member

I have a mix of reliable and unreliable servers. The unreliable ones usually have some redundancy built in them like daily backups and stuff.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I like a balance of each. Below average costs and average support.

• I don't need reliable support as long as the server is stable enough to not have issues with itself, as stable as Kimsufi servers would be fine. The only occasions I need to bother the support would be network or hardware failure.

I also don't need hyper-optimized super-fast network, as long as it has good peering(not bouncing to east coast when the visitor and the server are all on west coast, for example) and I can burst a few hundred Mbps in short periods of time infrequently, I'll be happy for that.

Thanked by 1chauffer
  • I doubt anybody from here is going to buy dedi from dedicube. There are a lot of cheaper / better choices here and in WHT.

Thanked by 2chauffer chauffer
  • vampireJ said: Thanked by (2): chauffer, chauffer.

When one thanks isn't enough..

• 0xdragon said: When one thanks isn't enough..

cluster error

• ah, but what about the quality of his thanks...

• wojonswojons Member

there are a few ways i look at your problem.

if the amount of money i save is close or equal to another one of the same server that i can get so then i could have 2x power and deal with bad support then it could be worth it if i can get the node from two different providers i may roll my dice hoping one of them is really good and then figure it out from there. but this depends if my application can handle it if its just a cpanel server just get a rock solild server.

• Steven_F said: Well, that's just not possible. I'm spending a lot of money on our support team and I would never be able to do it at the pricing people here would expect.

That's how it works here if you haven't noticed :) They won't buy it cheaper - but any little problem and you're gone!

• Many people want both. I don't think there is any dedicated server user who doesn't care about hardware quality and network uptime.

• Hi Sir,

kan u Sponsor me vPs????? :DDDdddDDddDdD

• @concerto49 said:
    That's how it works here if you haven't noticed :) They won't buy it cheaper - but any little problem and you're gone!

Honestly, my $49 E3 clients from here have been great. No tickets, well cough @agoldenberg, no spam, no nuttin'.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

It all depends on what someone would be using the resources for, I myself always prefer S-ATA HDD over SSD just because it is more affordable in larger volume, all other specifications aren't really interesting for me.

The main points I expect from every host regarding Reliability are:

1. Uptime, no random disconnects. If maintance is necessary I'd expect an email 1.5 weeks ahead.

2. Stable network speeds - not going from 50mb/s to 7mb/s.

3. Quick and accurate replies from the Support when technical-critical/billing issues occur.

4. No random service interruptions because of false DMCA claims etc, I expect the Provider to confirm everything before sending it through / taking actions.

Those are the main points i'd expect from a VPS/Dedi that I am willing to pay $30-60/m for.

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited July 2014

If you have good quality network you shouldn't really need amazing support (unless you're offering a managed service) - If the services are unmanaged, they should only really need to contact you in the event of hardware failure or network issues. Perhaps have a separate support category for those type of issues and prioritize them over general queries?

I'd be happy with good quality and less support, as long as you have the staff in place to resolve hardware issues and network issues in a timely manor.

Thanked by 1orak
  • Steven_F said: What are reasonable hardware replacement SLA times, do y'all think?

5 seconds

• What are reasonable hardware replacement SLA times, do y'all think?

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited July 2014

Did @joodle just predict what @Steven_F was going to say?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Steven_F said: Honestly, my $49 E3 clients from here have been great. No tickets, well cough @agoldenberg, no spam, no nuttin'.

Your service was fantastic. However Your DC is a bunch of dicks lol!

• I prefer Quality, you get what you pay for when it comes down to servers / networks / support. Pay next to nothing and you're probably on your own, and have some downtime.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@Steven_F said:
    What are reasonable hardware replacement SLA times, do y'all think?

I'd say under 12 hours.

• The old saying: you get what you pay for.

Quality!