Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain transfer - Request or Wait?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain transfer - Request or Wait?

There's a domain I'd like (not need) which is very similar to one that I already have. It's currently own by a (pretty) big organization who are obviously no longer using it, and is due to expire at the end of this year.

As I mentioned, I don't need the domain, but since it's so similar to the one I have, I'd like to own it for re-direction to my actual domain. e.g. I own google.co.uk, and I want googles.co.uk.

My question is; should I wait till it expires? Or should I contact them, and ask if they'd be kind enough to transfer it to me?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• What makes you think they’ll let it expire?
    Just because its not in use doesnt mean it will be available after the expiration date you are hoping for.

• elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
    edited July 2014

@PremiumN said:
    What makes you think they’ll let it expire?
    Just because its not in use doesnt mean it will be available after the expiration date you are hoping for.

Exactly. But should I wait to see whether it does expires? Or contact them before this?

• I have been in similar situations. My worry was that if I asked, they might ask for thousands of dollars for it, and if I refuse, they will squad the domain forever since they now have confirmation of interest.

• @Caveman122 said:
    I have been in similar situations. My worry was that if I asked, they might ask for thousands of dollars for it, and if I refuse, they will squad the domain forever since they now have confirmation of interest.

I was literally just typing out you comment above. This is my main worry too.

• The reason I'm even considering asking, is;

a) The domain name is very obviously not being used.

b) They trademarked it years ago, but the trademark has long since expired/been abandon. (I was even thinking of trademarking my domain before asking them for theirs, as I think due to the names being so similar that it should cover trademark rights over their domain.)

c) It seems like the domain is a based on a name that they first intended on calling their company, but for whatever reason didn't go with.

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited July 2014

Personally I would just wait, the reason being they are in it for the money, they didn't just happen to have the domain, and I doubt they will be nice about it or sell it to you at a reasonable price.

Edit: Ohh a company, I thought you were talking about a domain register.

• @Caveman122 said:
    Personally I would just wait, the reason being they are in it for the money, they didn't just happen to have the domain, and I doubt they will be nice about it or sell it to you at a reasonable price.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards this too. Hoping when the time comes, some domain admin will just, 'Oh, we're not using this, let it expire'.

• @Caveman122 said:
    Edit: Ohh a company, I thought you were talking about a domain register.

Yep it's a company. Does this make a difference you think?

• ReeRee Member

What's the renewal history? If it is being renewed every year despite the fact that they aren't using the domain name, then it's likely they'll continue renewing it and asking them is your only way to get ahold of it.

On the other hand if it was registered for a long term that is coming to an end later this year, then maybe you'll get lucky and they won't renew it. But will you be able to get it before some other squatter picks it up?

• Well, in that case they are not in it for the money. I would still just wait but trying your luck at contacting them could work in this case. Are you feeling lucky? :P Keep in mind that buying an expired domain is not just a couple clicks away,

http://www.pixelmade.com/blog/domain-names/how-buy-expired-domain-name

edited July 2014

@Ree said:
    On the other hand if it was registered for a long term that is coming to an end later this year, then maybe you'll get lucky and they won't renew it. But will you be able to get it before some other squatter picks it up?

Thanks. Forgot about those pesky squatters!

The only info I could find, is that they registered it in Sep 2005, it was updated Oct 2008, and expires Dec 2014. Gonna try and find more details about what exactly the 'update' was.

edited July 2014

@Caveman122 said:

Thanks for the link. After your (and others) comments, I think waiting might be worth a chance. Especially since I only want the domain simply to redirect to my actual domain name.