Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel Supports LiteSpeed Web Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel Supports LiteSpeed Web Server

Howdy all,

Actually, it's been happening for almost a month now, but cPanel and LiteSpeed have announced today that cPanel is officially supporting LSWS-cPanel users through their ticket system.

It's all explained here: http://blog.litespeedtech.com/2014/07/21/official-cpanel-support-for-litespeed-web-server/

This is just one more step in making LSWS more universal. We're looking forward to continued cooperation with cPanel to make both products better. Please let us know what you need and what you want. We'll do our best.

Cheers,

Michael

Comments

• Opensource litespeed!

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • wychwych Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Opensource litespeed!

Keep dreaming...

Thanked by 2zhuanyi linuxthefish
  • @linuxthefish said:
    Opensource litespeed!

Thanks for the feedback. How should we pay our developers?

;)

m

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2014

@lsmichael haha! I used to use litespeed on my old large cPanel server, but now I've switched to plain apache and a lower user/server ratio. Time to rethink webserver possibly...

Thanked by 1lsmichael
  • I'm currently using apache2 and it's pretty fast (and I'm also happy with it). Is LS even faster or which benefits does it have?

• @linuxthefish said:
    lsmichael haha! I used to use litespeed on my old large cPanel server, but now I've switched to plain apache and a lower user/server ratio. Time to rethink webserver possibly...

That's the calculation.

If you've ever got questions, just PM or email.

m

• @IceCream said:
    I'm currently using apache2 and it's pretty fast (and I'm also happy with it). Is LS even faster or which benefits does it have?

LSWS is faster than Apache (2 or 4). This is because of its event-driven architecture, optimized coding, and attention to how dynamic content is served. You can get more information (including benchmarks) on our site: http://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server/features

The other important benefit is that it's easy to set up and use because it reads and runs off of the Apache configuration files you already have and is compatible with control panels (like cPanel).

If you're happy with Apache 2, LSWS might not be the best fit for you. The biggest reason to get LSWS is that it cuts load. It sounds like you don't have load problems. If you don't have a lot of traffic and if you don't have load problems, you might not see a huge difference with LSWS. There are a lot of moving parts in web service and different parts can be the bottleneck. LSWS speeds up the HTTP server and PHP processing. If you don't have a lot of traffic, then you might not need a faster web server. (LSWS might allow you to serve your current sites on even less hardware, though.)

Try it out sometime — we have a free trial license and it's ridiculously easy to install. Generally, though, the people who get the most benefit from LSWS are people who are not happy with Apache — they've got too much load, they keep having to add hardware, their system slows down and crashes. LSWS answers those problems.

• @lsmichael Thanks for enlightening me!

What about this OpenLiteSpeed webserver? LS sounds interesting, though I don't have (like you already said) that much traffic. But since OLS is free I'd give it a try (well and/or the trial/standard version)

• You're very welcome. I'm happy to have the chance to explain this.

OpenLiteSpeed offers most of the performance gains of LSWS Enterprise, but it does not read and run off Apache configuration files or work with control panels. This makes it better suited for people running one or a few sites who are willing to do their configurations themselves.

We've got a comparison of all (three) editions here: http://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server/editions

m

• @lsmichael said:
    You're very welcome. I'm happy to have the chance to explain this.

OpenLiteSpeed offers most of the performance gains of LSWS Enterprise, but it does not read and run off Apache configuration files or work with control panels. This makes it better suited for people running one or a few sites who are willing to do their configurations themselves.

We've got a comparison of all (three) editions here: http://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server/editions

m

Any updates mate on the InterWorx plugin like cPanel / DirectAdmin / Plesk?

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited July 2014

I'll throw my 50p's worth in here. We use Litespeed extensively (300+ servers in all three flavors - Enterprise, Standard and Open).

Its rocksolid, its fast and it doesn't blow up like Apache when someone attacks the server.

One of our clients runs a site with 5M+ pageviews per day on Litespeed and Varnish, its been solid for them for nearly three years.

For the Lowend market, its expensive, there is no question. But for sites that need performance, need support and don't want to have to roll their own every month $100/server is pennies.

If you have the budget then absolutely look at Litespeed, they've been very good to us over the years. Our first license was bought approximately 5 years ago.

• I would love to see a updated benchmark of NginxCP vs LiteSpeed.

Thanked by 1lsmichael
  • Thanks for the backup, @MarkTurner !

m

• @Licensecart said:
    Any updates mate on the InterWorx plugin like cPanel / DirectAdmin / Plesk?

Both we and Interworx would love to add this, but both of us are involved in other upgrades that are taking priority. I talked about this with them in Miami. Unfortunately, neither of us have seen enough demand for integration to justify the development yet.

We know their users love them and it's something we think about, but we need a little more intersection between our customer bases before we can push it in front of other things. We're both looking out for customers that could become the catalyst.

m

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • @GreenHostBox said:
    I would love to see a updated benchmark of NginxCP vs LiteSpeed.

Me, too!

• I would like to see Varnish + Nginx VS Varnish + Apache, VS Litespeed Vs Cpnginx, NginxCP

• Can the current version of LSWS Standard installed on cPanel and read config files from Apache? It used to be so afaik

• @nexmark said:
    I would like to see Varnish + Nginx VS Varnish + Apache, VS Litespeed Vs Cpnginx, NginxCP

In this proposed benchmark, would LSWS get LSCache or Varnish? Or would LSWS have to compete against Varnish + nginx without the benefit of page caching?

But, yeah, we'd love benchmarks. We're trying to find time to do more ourselves, and we're more than happy to help anyone who wants to do their own.

m

• @upfreak said:
    Can the current version of LSWS Standard installed on cPanel and read config files from Apache? It used to be so afaik

LSWS Standard can be installed on a cPanel machine. (You have to install Standard separately and then direct the cPanel plugin to where it is installed. Installing from the cPanel plugin always installs Enterprise.) It will read Apache config files, but, remember, Standard is limited to 5 Apache vhosts.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited July 2014

@lsmichael said:
    LSWS Standard can be installed on a cPanel machine. (You have to install Standard separately and then direct the cPanel plugin to where it is installed. Installing from the cPanel plugin always installs Enterprise.) It will read Apache config files, but, remember, Standard is limited to 5 Apache vhosts.

Any Documentation on installing the standard version, I only need it to run a single website (My WHMCS), I feel that spending $14 on Litespeed enterprise for a single website isn't that quite good, However I can put my hands down for Litespeed enterprise on my cPanel Box, it's quite good and is indeed certainly better than Nginx Plugin's and or Apache standalone.

• Thanks for the support!

For Standard, you just have to do the command line install: http://www.litespeedtech.com/docs/webserver/install