Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Were is Chris from ChicagoVPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Were is Chris from ChicagoVPS?

Hey Chris my server has been down for over 24 hours now ? how about some Customer Service here ?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Have you raised a ticket?

• ClancomsClancoms Member
    edited July 2014

of course i have opened a ticket 24 hours ago

at Monday, July 21st, 2014 (01:44)

• My vps is down over 10 hours, LA node

• edited July 2014

I wish you all the best with your great CVPS adventure.

My recommendation; once everything is online get your data, cancel your stuff there and move to a real provider (BuyVM, Ramnode, Prometeus, Vultr, DO, Catalysthost, etc...).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Clancoms said:
    of course i have opened a ticket 24 hours ago

at Monday, July 21st, 2014 (01:44)

ChicagoVPS aren't renowned for speedy support. I'm also not sure Chris comes here that much, so without tagging him or one of his team, not sure anyone will see this.

• they just came back and said we are wrong that our IP that our cpanel license is on and out name servers are pointing to is not the correct ip. and now the server is showing a new ip and also showing as in jersey not LA were our server was

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep
  • well @CVPS_Chris needs to get his ass to work and answer his support tickets

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

It'll likely be Jacob and not @CVPS_Chris. Chris seems to be MIA.

• they wiped out my server with my billing system on it i had just backed it up and before i could download our backup the server crashed and now James Burkowitz || Staff he is saying that the IP of the server that i have had for over 8 months was not my IP and that no server ever existed on that ip and then says he fixed it by creating a new server in New Jersey for me my server was in LA ? all i know is i have lost 3 months worth of client sign ups payments cancellations im screwed and @CVPS_Chris isnt there to slap this moron upside his head.

• wychwych Member

What I want to know is why your last backup was 3 months ago... ?

But it does sound like a dick move from Cvps.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • blackblack Member

If you actually run a business of sorts, you should back up more often than every 3 months. Live and learn, I guess.

• my last backup was from 30 minutes before the server crash and i had not downloaded it yet. i had just re installed my computer earlier in the day so all files were gone, great timing right?

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited July 2014

All those people go for hosts with shady practices & well known to provide poor services do not deserve any sympathy TBH. They would hardly have experiences like these if they sign up with reputable hosts like Prometeus, Iniz, drserver, MyCustomHosting etc

• I back up every night but had just re installed my computer earlier in the day so lost all files.

@black said:
    If you actually run a business of sorts, you should back up more often than every 3 months. Live and learn, I guess.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Clancoms said:
    I back up every night but had just re installed my computer earlier in the day so lost all files.

Guess you should backup your computer also.

I have hourly backups, offsite to backup server which then replicates the backup data to another location.

• GallaeahoGallaeaho Member
    edited July 2014

@Clancoms said:
    my last backup was from 30 minutes before the server crash and i had not downloaded it yet. i had just re installed my computer earlier in the day so all files were gone, great timing right?

If you're not familiar with off-site backups, I suggest you two get acquainted.

• blackblack Member
    edited July 2014

Clancoms said: I back up every night but had just re installed my computer earlier in the day so lost all files.

So at one point you had no backups and you let Jesus take the wheel. There's a lot of cloud storage services these days, maybe they're worth a try.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

I am sure you will learn @ClanComs.

Do you cache/keep outbound mails? May be able to re-build the db from them.

• LeeLee Veteran

Meh, I call BS here, backups every night but you just decided to re-install your PC with no regard for the contents, you are either lying about about the backups, just plain stupid or both.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited July 2014

@W1V_Lee said:
    Meh, I call BS here, backups every night but you just decided to re-install your PC with no regard for the contents, you are either lying about about the backups, just plain stupid or both.

Summer has begun!

Sorry I just can't help with people trying to find the rent the cheapest servers for business users and complains whenever they are not getting Linode-style service.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • W3HostW3Host Member

You have to wait 24 hours for a response via ticket? That's bad.

• LeeLee Veteran

@W3Host said:
    You have to wait 24 hours for a response via ticket? That's bad.

Only if the provider states you will get answers sooner. Just because one provider offers support responses within an hour most times does not mean everyone else should.

Certainly if a server is down then I would expect a faster response time as the provider should know there is an issue before you and be doing something about it.

Of course it may be all down to CVPS not handling the issue correctly but with all providers no matter what the price or who they are you should never trust them to preserve your data.

I have a couple of Linode VPS and the backups are enabled, never needed them but I still rsync daily to a Ramnode VPS, and then to my sharecentre at home weekly, if the day comes when my server dies and they say "Oh, that's odd, all your backups are corrupt" I won't be concerned.

As someone once told me, if there are not 3 copies of your data, it does not exist.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2014

W1V_Lee said: As someone once told me, if there are not 3 copies of your data, it does not exist.

This. I am not a hosting provider, just have some sites of my own and handles some sites for business clients (my firm has a division for creating websites and hosts some of them).

I do daily backups 2 times per day in 3 different locations with different providers. I also do weekly, 15day and monthly backups. I download backups once a month in my computer. For critical websites (like my news portal) I have also a mirror server with hourly rsync, ready to be on air in seconds (just altering ip's in cloudflare).

Shit happens, but if you manage servers, you have to minimize the risk. 3 months backup and a "wiped local backup" (did OP is downloading every day his daily backups on his PC? Wow) is just saying that "i dunno anything about hosting and handling servers".

Thanked by 2Scion marrco
  • Cvps had a disk array die in NJ recently. I had a vps on that node but just restored from backups when they got it back up.

They answered my ticket in a few minutes.

• W3HostW3Host Member

@jvnadr said:
    Only if the provider states you will get answers sooner. Just because one provider offers support responses within an hour most times does not mean everyone else should.

I agree but I think 24 hours to wait for a reply is not very good regardless.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Well, I guess this is why you should have your BACKUP plan.. !

• Hold on this completely your fault here. Whmcs has a backup option to send the database to a email and along with solusvm nightly if i am correct. Rsync everything to backupsy and then to another vps just to make sure for there is no point of failure. Then you have 3 or 4 times redundancy for critical things like this. All I can say have fun passing this on to your clients.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@W3Host Well, CVPS is not famous about the speed of their support staff. ;-)

Thanked by 1W3Host
  • 30 hours in now

new ticket responce

Well, I am assigning your ticket to senior administrator.

James Burkowitz
    Support Guru