Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Malaysian Plane 'Shot Down With 295 On Board'
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Malaysian Plane 'Shot Down With 295 On Board'

Just saw this on the news

English article i found:

http://news.sky.com/story/1302864/malaysian-plane-shot-down-with-295-on-board

A Malaysian passenger plane with 295 people on board has been shot down as it flew above eastern Ukraine, according to aviation sources.

The plane, which is believed to have been flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was travelling at an altitude of 10km (6.2 miles) when it was shot down, the Russian news agency Inferfax reported.

It was brought down by a ground-to-air missile, an adviser to the Ukrainian interior ministry quoted by Inferfax said.

A spokesman for Malaysian Airlines confirmed "an incident" involving one of its flights and is expected to release a statement shortly.

The aircraft involved is believed to be a Boeing 777 with flight number MH17, which departed from Amsterdam at 12.14am local time.

Sky's Katie Stallard, in Moscow, said media reports suggest the plane came down in an area where there has been recent heavy fighting amid continuing tensions between Russia and Ukraine.

What do you think? Did they really shot down that plane?

Comments

• yywudiyywudi Member
    edited July 2014

what? Malaysia Airline again?

Thanked by 4dnwk Noerman hotsnow tux
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Thats pretty sad, who would do such a thing?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

matthewvz said: Thats pretty sad, who would do such a thing?

If this is true, I would imagine in this instance it may have been a horrible error in judgement as neither side would want to take out a Malaysian plane travelling from The Netherlands.

• Whats wrong with Malaysian airlines.. Again now.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

:(

Not again, why this many innocent people are loosing life's. :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Who did it before. Ukrainian authorities know exactly which planes fly and where, the russians on the ground have orders to shoot everything that flies and have the means to do it, it was a spy or military plane, down with it.
    I think Ukraine should have changed the aerial corridors as long as the russians are still armed and dangerous.

Thanked by 2dnwk Inglar
  • According to several websites it has been shot down by a BUK Ground to Air missile

Thanked by 1Pieceago
  • n1kkon1kko Member

Makes me wonder if the first one was shot down

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • yywudiyywudi Member

but some news said BUK ground to air missile can only attack 3km high but the airplane was in 10km

• This remember me the area 51 og gya san andreas

• @yywudi said:
    but some news said BUK ground to air missile can only attack 3km high but the airplane was in 10km

No,

Flight altitude 14,000 metres (46,000 ft)
    Speed   Mach 3

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buk_missile_system

• Unsubstantiated reports that separatists were responsible. If so, they would likely not have detailed knowledge of flight corridors, or specific flight paths.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

A defence expert has told the BBC that shooting down a plane at 10,000m (9.7 miles) would have required a long- range surface-to-air missile - possibly guided by radar.

That suggests it is unlikely it could have been downed by a portable air defence missile, or Manpad, which has a much shorter range.

The only other possibility is for an aircraft at that height to be downed by a fighter carrying air-to-air missiles. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28354856

...btw only the "Kiev" Ukraine has those, not DNR/LNR.

But the main question is, THE FUCK ARE YOU FLYING RIGHT OVER THERE, where a civil war is going on in these very moments.

Thanked by 2GIANT_CRAB tux
  • AcacyAcacy Member
    edited July 2014

Oh my GOD, accident happen again to MAS :(

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Is is the sort of stuff that start large conflicts between governments...

• rds100rds100 Member

This is not exactly an "accident" for me. This "accident" will be very convenient for someone. I guess we will see... soon.

• elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
    edited July 2014

@rm_ said:
    But the main question THE FUCK ARE YOU FLYING RIGHT OVER THERE, where a civil war is going on in these very moments.

This was my first thought! I would've assumed that any/all flight paths for all airlines would be using alternate routes to avoid the area due to the current conflict!

Horrible tragedy!

• WTF yesterday Russia shot down Ukraine fighter plane in Ukraine Airspace.Maybe Russia accidentally shot down This plane.

Thanked by 1dnwk
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

rds100 said: I guess we will see... soon.

It's not sure... The real cause of the Ukrainian conflict it the energy and the handle - selling of gas, between West (EU - US) and Russia. So, those kind of attacks could be used as an excuse for further military conflict (don't forget that NATO, Americans and EU used suspicious hits to start military action against countries, from Middle East to former Yugoslavia). We don't have a clue who is behind of this hit, but I am in deep concern.

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited July 2014

wow omg this is crazy, just wow and very sad too, any more links please people? I am sure there would of been children on that plane too, so sad this will really upset the a lot of family's.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited July 2014

@jvnadr that's exactly what i mean. If Russia uses this "accident" as an excuse to send their "peacekeepers" in Ukraine - then obviously they wanted it shot down, to have this excuse.
    If USA/NATO uses this as an excuse to send their "peacekeepers" - it's obvious that they "profit" from having this airplane shot down.
    So in the next days / weeks / months we will see how things turn out.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Lots of precedents for militaries accidentally shooting down civilian airliners, alas...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Airliner_shootdown_incidents

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@rds100 We, in Balkans, have a very long and bad experience about the games of the big powers that, very often, crushed us, also... So, when I see the flame rekindling in Black Sea, Ukraine, Middle East etc., my concerns are getting bigger and bigger.

• vedranvedran Veteran

rds100 said: So in the next days / weeks / months we will see how things turn out.

Ukraine and Russia (and other involved sides) will blame each other for this, but I doubt we'll ever find out what really happened. And the worst part in all this is the possibility the plane was shot down on purpose

Thanked by 1dnwk
  • rds100rds100 Member

@vedran that's what i think - the plane was shot down on purpose, to stir more trouble. We will see who tries to "profit" from this trouble soon enough.

• Be prepared ww3 is going start very soon.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

RIP :( This is indeed very sad.

• This is so tragic.

• This is unfortunate.

Anyone remember this?