Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ByteOnSite: July Coupon MANIA: Cloud VPS from $3/mo! 1TB Storage from $4/mo!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ByteOnSite: July Coupon MANIA: Cloud VPS from $3/mo! 1TB Storage from $4/mo!

vdnetvdnet Member
edited July 2014 in Offers

ByteOnSite, formerly RockMyWeb, is celebrating our 7th July in business with our July Coupon Mania.

View all packages and coupon codes at: http://www.byteonsite.com/let

Cloud Servers

====================================

Our servers feature high availability failover and data mirroring to keep your data safe and server online in the event of hardware failures.

Turbo Storage and Turbo CPU

• Our turbo storage features advanced proprietary caching that surpasses standard SSD caching services. Our servers reach over 100K IOPS.

• Our turbo CPU features burstable CPU resources that help you handle peak hours of traffic unlike other cloud servers that are strictly limited to their dedicated CPU.

Coupon Codes And Servers

• Coupon Code: 1GBM36

1GB RAM, 2GB Total Memory, 40GB Turbo Disk, 1TB Transfer for $36.00/year

• Coupon Code: 48AYEAR

Protected Storage Level 1: $48.00/Year

1TB Storage, 256MB RAM, 512MB Total Memory, 1TB Outbound Transfer

Memory Intensive Level 1: $48.00/Year

1.6GB RAM, 3.2GB Total Memory, 80GB Turbo Disk, 2TB Transfer

Processor Intensive Level 1: $48.00/Year

7.2GHz Turbo CPU, 2GB RAM, 60GB Turbo Disk, 2TB Transfer

Bandwidth Intensive Level 1: $48.00/Year

3TB Transfer, 1GB RAM, 2GB Total Memory, 60GB Turbo Disk

• Coupon Code: 1TBFOR7

Protected Storage Level 1: $7.00/Month

1TB Storage, 256MB RAM, 512MB Total Memory, 1TB Outbound Transfer

• Coupon Code: MEMFOR7

Memory Intensive Level 1: $7.00/Month

1.6GB RAM, 3.2GB Total Memory, 80GB Turbo Disk, 2TB Transfer

• Coupon Code: CPUFOR7

Processor Intensive Level 1: $7.00/month

7.2GHz Turbo CPU, 3GB Total Memory, 60GB Turbo Disk, 2TB Transfer

• Coupon Code: BWFOR7

Bandwidth Intensive Level 1: $7.00/month

3TB Transfer, 1GB RAM, 2GB Total Memory, 60GB Turbo Disk

http://www.byteonsite.com/let

Different Package Types

• Memory Intensive - Starting at $7.00/month for 1.6GB RAM. Features extra RAM for handling caching and transactions. Recommended for Web Hosting, Database Hosting, and Data Analytics.

• Processor Intensive - Starting at $7.00/month for 7.2GHz Turbo CPU. Features extra processing power for handling heavy applications. Recommended for Application Hosting, Game Servers, Batch Processing, and Development Work.

• Bandwidth Intensive - Starting at $7.00/month for 3TB of Bandwidth. Features extra bandwidth for media streaming and transfers. Recommended for file hosting, streaming, or VPN services.

• Protected Storage - Starting at $7.00/month for 1TB of Protected Storage. Features loads of storage for any file you wish to store. Setup SSHFS, NFS, FTP, Rsync, Samba, or many other applicable solutions. A full virtual server giving you more control over other cloud storage solutions.

Check out all of our packages at http://www.byteonsite.com

Datacenter Locations

• Chicago Metro - Our datacenter located 90 minutes from Chicago in South Bend, IN. Featuring multiple gigabit connections through Level 3, Internap, and Cogent. Provides a great centralized location for all of North America and great latency to the Midwest.

• New York Metro - Hosted in the Choopa datacenter in Piscataway, NJ featuring over 1000gbps of available network. Providing a great location for the most populous area in the US, the Northeast, and the lowest possible latency to Europe from the United States.

• Phoenix - Hosted in PhoenixNAP in Arizona, Phoenix gives us reach to the Western United States. A close proximity to Los Angeles gives us low latency out to Asia and Australia without the risk of natural disasters, such as earthquakes.

Guarantees

• 45 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - You are eligible for a refund if unsatisfied during the first 45 days of service.

• 100% Uptime Guarantee - We guarantee 100% service availability or you are eligible for a refund or credit based on the amount of downtime.

Terms of Service: http://www.byteonsite.com/terms.html

Thanked by 1andyliu

Comments

• Should've seen this coming sigh

What type of RAID (if any) are you running?

• vdnetvdnet Member

@0xdragon said:
    Should've seen this coming sigh

What type of RAID (if any) are you running?

I'm assuming you're asking about the 1TB storage. This is obviously just a promotional rate for the first several signups. We don't just use RAID, this is cloud storage. Data is mirrored across the network, data is stored on two physical servers to prevent loss in the event of ANY hardware failure on a single node.

• are the storage plans openvz or KVM or?//

• vdnetvdnet Member

All of our plans use the same platform. You can read about VPSGrid here: http://byteonsite.com/community/?dwqa-question=what-type-of-virtualization-does-byteonsite-use

• amhoabamhoab Member

Are we able to choose the location this is provisioned in? I didn't see that in the order process.

• deadlyllamadeadlyllama Member
    edited July 2014

[ignore me, misread the post]

• Are we guranteed 1 cpu for the processor intensive servers?

• vdnetvdnet Member

@amhoab said:
    Are we able to choose the location this is provisioned in? I didn't see that in the order process.

Which server are you asking about? The protected storage systems are only available in Chicago Metro.

• tommytommy Member

vdnet said: We don't just use RAID, this is cloud storage

what's cloud storage??

Data is mirrored across the network, data is stored on two physical servers to prevent loss in the event of ANY hardware failure on a single node.

• vdnetvdnet Member

tommy said: what's cloud storage??

Well, the meaning we use is it not being constrained to a single node/device.

• vdnetvdnet Member

Void_Whisperer said: Are we guranteed 1 cpu for the processor intensive servers?

The guaranteed levels are listed on our web site: http://www.byteonsite.com. Turbo CPU allocations can be used for up to 36 hours every month. If you exceed this limit, then you'll be capped to your guaranteed levels for the sake of your neighbors but usually 36 hours of heavy usage is plenty for most users.

• aoleeaolee Member

sorry for the nooby question. any ip I can use to ping? from asia here.

• vdnetvdnet Member

@aolee said:
    sorry for the nooby question. any ip I can use to ping? from asia here.

Where in Asia? Generally speaking Phoenix would probably be the best:

az.byteonsite.com http://az.byteonsite.com/100MBtest.zip

Chicago Metro:
    in.byteonsite.com http://in.byteonsite.com/100MBtest.zip

New York Metro:
    nj.byteonsite.com http://nj.byteonsite.com/100MBtest.zip

If you're in West Asia, then New York Metro may be better.

• For 1TB Storage: Your post told that for yearly ($48) the out traffic is 2TB, but it is shown 1TB in your website. So what is the exact value here?
    • 2nd question: Can we run a webserver on it to be able to download backup when needed? nginx for example? or OwnCloud?
  • vdnetvdnet Member

@nhocconan said:
    - For 1TB Storage: Your post told that for yearly ($48) the out traffic is 2TB, but it is shown 1TB in your website. So what is the exact value here?
    - 2nd question: Can we run a webserver on it to be able to download backup when needed? nginx for example? or OwnCloud?

It is 1TB outbound transfer, thank you for catching that mistake. We encourage the user of rsync and incremental backups to reduce I/O usage and data transfer.

As for owncloud, others have had the same idea. There is no problem with running a web server but these servers are not meant for heavy processing and often owncloud won't work well. I wrote a quick tip on the community site for the alternative solution: http://byteonsite.com/community/?dwqa-question=can-i-add-more-resources-like-ram-and-cpu-to-a-protected-storage-server

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

does the "48AYEAR" is recurring or one time discount only?

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2014

@hotsnow said:
    does the "48AYEAR" is recurring or one time discount only?

All of the coupons listed are recurring.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

and, the network of "Protected Storage Level 1" is 1G or 100M? thanks.

• vdnetvdnet Member

hotsnow said: and, the network of "Protected Storage Level 1" is 1G or 100M? thanks.

All servers are on a gigabit port.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • aoleeaolee Member

from Singapore

• @vdnet said:
    It is 1TB outbound transfer, thank you for catching that mistake.

I was going to buy the 1TB storage offer. After this, not anymore.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited July 2014

@albertdb said:
    I was going to buy the 1TB storage offer. After this, not anymore.

also think the 1T bandwidth is too little for the 1T disk, 3T is more reasonable, at least 2T

• @hotsnow said:
    also think the 1T bandwidth is too little for the 1T disk, 3T is more reasonable, at least 2T

The same to me. Can only consider it if the provider have a considerable disk/bandwidth ratio. 1Tb bandwidth for 1Tb disk is not good enough IMHO.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2014

@hotsnow said:

The point is to promote rsync/incremental backups and curb the usage for backups. The 1TB storage servers aren't meant for heavy usage hence the cheap price and low CPU/RAM. They are meant for static file storage. If you want a server that is meant for heavy file hosting, etc, then the bandwidth intensive line is available.

If you're using it for backups, then you should only need to transfer outbound when a server is restored, leaving 1TB Outbound for 1TB Storage being just right.

@nhocconan

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

@vdnet said:
    nhocconan

if only use as backup, the 1T seems ok, but if also temporarily used for some big files exchange sometimes, the 1T should be insufficient.

• vdnetvdnet Member

@hotsnow said:
    if only use as backup, the 1T seems ok, but if also temporarily used for some big files exchange sometimes, the 1T should be insufficient.

We list the recommended usage on our web site. You are welcome to use it for other usage and your own opinion, but the servers are the best deal out there for cloud storage.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited July 2014

@vdnet said:
    We list the recommended usage on our web site. You are welcome to use it for other usage and your own opinion, but the servers are the best deal out there for cloud storage.

If only it was capped to, lets say, 10Mbps or in the worst case 5Mbps after 1TB, it would be interesting. If for whatever reason I have to restore two times a 600GB backup in a month, do I have to wait until the next month to do it? It sounds ridiculous.

• Is the $36/year not on turbo disk?

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2014

@albertdb,

I'm not sure why it is ridiculous. You are welcome to upgrade the plan for more bandwidth or pay overages if need be. I already stated we encourage the use of rsync and incremental backups and restores to reduce load on the server and the data transferred. I'd say a full 600GB restore twice in a month is a pretty rare scenario. If you can find a better offer elsewhere, feel free, but many users are satisfied with our offer.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited July 2014

@BoxClouds said:
    Is the $36/year not on turbo disk?

The $36/year 1GB server is turbo disks. Only the protected storage line is SATA.