Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup MX VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup MX VPS

I'm looking for a (cheap) VPS to use as a backup MX. A server with about 512MB/1GB RAM will suffice as I'm not expecting a lot of email traffic. Paying monthly would be great, this so I can upgrade to a bigger server when needed at any time, but if paying yearly is a lot cheaper I'd rather do that. The server should be located anywhere in the Netherlands.

Thanks!

Comments

• wychwych Member

INIZ/RamNode?

• marrcomarrco Member

why 512/1gb for a backup mx? Setup a minimal debian with exim set up to store and forward your email. 64MB could be enough if you don't do additional antivirus filtering. If you need more than that, like using haraka to filter spam and clamd you need more, but for a basic MX you need just a minimal box.

Or simply get a kimsufi for 4,99 so you have tons of space and a dedicated server for a little more than a budget vps

Thanked by 1rm_
  • I've got my backup MX for a handful of domains set up on a BlueVM BLUE 0.5 plan with Postfix. It does simple content filtering, RBL rejections, and simple header filtering. I have found that to eliminate the VAST majority of UUCE. Can't beat that at $7.50/yr.

• DennisDDennisD Member
    edited July 2014

It's not much email traffic but I want a decent spam filter. So lets say 256MB would be more than enough?

@rajprakash

BlueVM doesn't have the 0.5 package in Europe locations though. :(

• If it's just your backup MX, does the location really matter?

• Well only people in the Netherlands are going to use it, so I rather have it somewhere in Europe.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited July 2014

DennisD said: It's not much email traffic but I want a decent spam filter

Your secondary MX should do (as near as possible) the same spam filtering as your primary MX, else you risk creating a backdoor for spammers. Spammers will target your secondary MX directly (ignoring MX weights) and your primary MX may accept mail transferred from the secondary without subjecting it to the same spam evaluation as mail from other servers.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @sleddog

Thanks for the info. What spam filter do you recommend? Would Apache spamassassin be enough?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited July 2014

DennisD said: What spam filter do you recommend?

There's no magic answer IMO. Whatever works for you, you're comfortable with and you understand.

Basically there's two 'types' of spam control:

Pre-acceptance - you filter out some mail before accepting it into your system, i.e. you refuse to accept it. The MTA (e.g. postfix, exim) will have some capabilities you can use (such as refusing mail to one-existent addresses, or from non-existent domains), and there are RBLs you can use also.

Post-acceptance - you filter based on headers and content after accepting the mail. This is primarily what SpamAssassin does, using a set of rules and also bayesian analysis. Bayesian analysis can be very effective but requires training, so save your spam :)

• Crissic 512mb special? (yearly $15)

• Looks like a very good deal, but I'm not sure about the location. The main mx server is located in the Netherlands, so would it matter a lot if I host the backup mx in the USA, in terms of delay and speed.

• Unless you're emailing huge files, I can't imagine it would be a noticeable difference.

• Define "huge files".

• @DennisD said:
    Looks like a very good deal, but I'm not sure about the location. The main mx server is located in the Netherlands, so would it matter a lot if I host the backup mx in the USA, in terms of delay and speed.

For Netherlands, there's hosthatch 512mb ($3.20 monthly, $35 yearly), ramnode 512mb ($4.35 monthly, $47 yearly), INIZ 1gb (~$27 yearly),

• DennisD said: would it matter a lot if I host the backup mx in the USA, in terms of delay and speed

I'd say not at all, given how a backup MX works.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • marrcomarrco Member

DennisD said: What spam filter do you recommend?

Haraka + clamAV with sanesecurity signatures if you want a modern solutions.

but whatever solution you choose, even the old spamassassin or ASSP don't forget that the most important part is having a good postmaster to setup and tune it for your specific need.