Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GlusterFS server on vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GlusterFS server on vps

a_chrisa_chris Member

Hello,

I need to make a GlusterFS volume. I'm trying to mount it on OpenVZ vps and my provider already enabled fuse support to it.

If I create the volume on DigitalOcean vps I've no problem at all: volume is created, bricks are online, volume is mounted on the client (OpenVZ vps fuse enabled).
But if I try with the very same version on OpenVZ vps problems come out: volume is created but when I try to mount on the client I get error and the volume is not shown on df -h output.

Note that I'm using same os, same versions and same guide to set it up.

So my question is: is it a problem of virtualization type? Is it possible to have glusterfs volume exported from OpenVZ vps?
Do I need to ask my provider to enable something to make it work or do I have to use a real virtualization (KVM?) for that purpose?

Thanks!

Comments

• You should open a ticket at your provider to enable the necessary modules on the OpenVZ node.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited June 2014

glusterfs client requires fuse support. So either ask for the module or have a dedicated kernel (xen/kvm)

I don't think the server part requires fuse, but I could be wrong.

• @andrewn: Are you talking about GlusterFS server vps? It will be the answer to my problem.

@msg7086: Thanks for your reply. The OpenVZ GlusterFS client already has fuse enabled and work like a charm in mounting glusterfs volumes properly set up.
    What I was asking is if I need something to be enabled on OpenVZ GlusterFS server or if someone know it is possible to run GlusterFS server on OpenVZ.

Does anyone have GlusterFS set with OpenVZ container as server and OpenVZ container as client?

• MunMun Member
    edited June 2014

I tried long ago and finally gave up due to the fact it was a headache.

I have heard this works well : https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

• Unfortunately all servers I have setup GlusterFS server on happen to be all KVMs.

Sorry I can't solve your problem, but you might consider have a look at the error logs.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I think GlusterFS uses NFS and stuff, which I believe isn't needed but is installed by default as some clients would use that for faster speeds instead of having to go through FUSE. Tahoe-LAFS isn't designed for performance, maybe look at MooseFS/LizardFS or XtreemFS.

• amhoabamhoab Member

I've done this a number of times across a few providers. Unfortunately, you have to go through your provider first, as they must enable certain capabilities to your container. Some providers are hesitant to do so, but most of the ones I asked didn't mind.

It works great once set up.

serverfault.com/questions/29615/how-to-mount-glusterfs-inside-a-openvz-container