Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FYI - SlickVPN - Filtering and Port Blocking
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FYI - SlickVPN - Filtering and Port Blocking

After falling into this trap, and the huge headache it cased me.. I am alerting those here, and elsewhere..

If your using SlickVPN they have decided to start filtering and blocking things....

First it was port 22, then I find it was port 2087/2082/2083/2086 for CPanel & WHM...

It may not be on all their nodes, YET, but it is on all the US nodes.. and will be coming to the others soon...

Quote:We've been doing some restructuring on the back end stuff and this must have been blocked accidentally. I've requested the Admin guys take a look at the problem.

With best regards,
Technical Issues

We've been trying to implement some security changes to our network without negatively affecting service for our users. It looks like some of your activity has gotten caught up in this, we're very sorry about that.

The Admin guys asked me if you could provide the IP of the host and we'll whitelist the IP. Would that be ok for you?

End Quote.

My response to them after putting up with too many alarms, and alerts over this was not very polite.. and I cancelled my account.. Was a great VPN.. but I don't need a VPN nanny.. that is why I have a VPN!

So I've moved back to another provider.. which doesn't have this nonsense...

Way to kill the golden goose SlickVPN! Real slick!

Comments

• @Jack said:
    What type of VPN was it?

OpenVPN,

Why not make your own?

I might in the future, but right now I need to focus on other projects, and I don't need a VPN nanny. We have enough people snooping on things as it is!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sorry, what is the problem?

They provide an apology, write a polite answer, explain why it has happened and offer a solution?

Perhaps you do not need a VPN nanny but someone has to use common sense at some point to avoid VPN Abuse.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited June 2014

@wemanageit said:

You could just get a VPS, install Debian 7, then run @Nyr's excellent openvpn-install road-warrior script.

It would literally take you 5 minutes, and you'd not only stop relying on a VPN service that blocks things you need to access, but you'd also likely have a greater traffic allocation (e.g. 1/2TB depending on your VPS provider).

• @AnthonySmith said:
    sorry, what is the problem?

They provide an apology, write a polite answer, explain why it has happened and offer a solution?

Perhaps you do not need a VPN nanny but someone has to use common sense at some point to avoid VPN Abuse.

YEah.. SSH and CPAnel is abuse.. Not playing whack a mole on which ports are blocked, and/or what else they are filtering, logging etc...

I've moved on.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@wemanageit said:

No one said it was abuse, but ok I get it, it is a question of your patience vs expectations.