Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DO $5 credit for destroying VM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DO $5 credit for destroying VM?

blackblack Member
I've noticed that you've destroyed your DigitalOcean Droplet(s).

We're striving to provide the best cloud hosting experience for developers and would love for you to give us a shot! We've automatically applied a $5 credit to your account that will provide you with one free month of hosting on our 512MB droplet.

Because we're a bunch of perfectionists, we're always looking to improve our cloud hosting platform. Any feedback that you're willing to provide would be much appreciated! 

Is this new or has anyone else gotten an email like this before?

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I've destroyed a few VPSes from DO and a few weeks later they sent me an email saying they gave me a $5 dollar credit. I won't complain though, free credit is nice.

• udkudk Member

had a couple of them too

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I wiped out about 10 in a week once and got that email. Didn't get it the next time I did the same thing though.

• blackblack Member

@udk said:
    had a couple of them too

I'm guessing you have a few accounts? Or did you get multiple emails like that on the same account?

• Yes, last year they give me free credit after destroying the droplet. They asked me why, so I just answer it that the vps were not stable.

• Seem like never happened to mine, but then again I had destroyed who know how many droplets anyway since I am only using them for testing though.

• yes, $5 if you detroy many VM, $10 free coupon code first,

• udkudk Member

black said: I'm guessing you have a few accounts? Or did you get multiple emails like that on the same account?

I've had twice on same account

• never happened to me

Thanked by 1lelewku
  • lelewkulelewku Member

they credit me $5 everytime i destroyed my droplet..its been 5 months and i have destroyed 70 droplets..

• BradBrad Member

Never happened with me either.

• blackblack Member

@lelewku said:
    they credit me $5 everytime i destroyed my droplet..its been 5 months and i have destroyed 70 droplets..

wtf... so you got $350 worth of free credits?

• lol every time I see something about DO they're giving free credit away. How the hell do they make money?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

They gave it to me once when I destroyed all my droplets, but that happened only like a month after the fact.

hostnoob said: How the hell do they make money?

By attracting a loyal customer base that'll stay with them in the long run and will over time pay much more than those free credits they were given initially.

Thanked by 2netomx hostnoob
  • BellaBella Member

I just destroyed my droplet and didn't get anything.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited May 2014

@Bella said:

Be patient :) From my experience the credit was not automatic. It might come in a few days. You have to destroy all your droplets though.

• aoleeaolee Member

i got it before. :)

• aoleeaolee Member

i got it when destroyed all my droplets.

• instatechinstatech Member
    edited May 2014

I heard that digialocean is running on different investors funding like Andreessen Horowitz, IA Ventures,CrunchFund.This is the reason they are able to offer such kind of freebies.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/06/digitalocean-raises-37-million-from-andreessen-horowitz/

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I can see where this is heading:
    I destroyed my droplet but didn't get $5 credit, is DO scam?
    I want the files that I had on that vps, why won't DO let me download the files? Bad support!

Anyone with a touch of intelligence will see the humor in this post.
    for the rest of you:

Thanked by 1Magiobiwan
  • Coming soon: turn your vps on to get $5 credit!