Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

90 day review of VULTR.com - the real Digital Ocean competition
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

90 day review of VULTR.com - the real Digital Ocean competition

myhkenmyhken Member
edited May 2014 in Reviews

VULTR.com is not very old, but I have been with them since they soft launched their service, and I have to say that they just get better and better for each week. I have now been with them for over 90 days, and here is my updated review of them. (See my complete review here...)

If you want to try out VULT, they still have their "double your money" offer up to $100.
If you like, you can use my aff link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732

Product/hardware/price

VULTR offer “fake” KVM cloud instances with SSD storage (like DigitalOcean), so you only get some cloud features like hourly billing, quick deployment, many locations etc. Since my last review they have added features such as, Custom ISO files, Multiple IPs (max two extra IPs per server) and snapshot feature.

VULTR similar plans like DigitalOcean, but they have increased their smallest plan from 512 MB RAM to 768 MB of RAM, a 50% increase for the same price as DO charge.

They also charge $3/mo less for the 1 GB plan, and $5/mo less for their 2 GB plan.

As you can see VULTR now has 11 of 12 locations online, thats three times more locations then DigtalOcean has.

VULTR guarantee more then 3 GHz CPUs on all their plans (except their storage plans in NY), so you get fast CPU power on all servers. They offer SSD storage as standard and you get speeds like 3-460 MB/s.

Their hardware seems solid, and using CentOS 6.5 and Virtualmin gives me a really good result. The servers (both France and Netherlands) works really fast.

You deploy new servers within minutes depending on what location you are deploying in. It’s really simple as you can see in the picture over, you only select locations, package, and OS, then your server is online.

Service/Support

Their service is still pretty good. And their support pretty fast.

Since I have been a BETA tester for several of the new features, I have had lots of contact with their support staff, and it’s seems like they have several support staff working for them, and they seems pretty knowledgeable.

Benchmark

Amsterdam, NL

France

London

Vultr has good speeds on their servers, except on their Netherlands node there they have reduced speed to just 100 mbit. They have promised to increase the speed again, but the time has come and gone, and no ETA on when they will increase it again.

Network/uptime

There was a network issue on my France server some days ago. I had 100% uptime last 80 days or so, but now the uptime is 99.941% on that server.

On my Netherlands node, that is around 90 days old, I have 100% uptime. And on my London server, I have 100% uptime.

Conclusion

If you need a host that can offers lots of locations, rapid deployment and hourly billing, take a look at VULTR.com. They have kept their promise to add lots more features and locations, and they still have more to come. Their servers and networks works really good, with fast servers, and high uptime.

Giving VULTR 8 of 10 points, since they are not offering all features and locations just now. Looking forward to seeing them getting better and better.

If you want to try out VULT, they still have their "double your money" offer up to $100.
If you like, you can use my aff link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732

Comments

• Very detailed review!

Thanked by 1myhken
  • trexostrexos Member

I always like your reviews :)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • SunnSunn Member

Indeed, the review is fine.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

Thank you for your kind words. Vultr is really a good host, so I hope more people see what a great host they are.

• Noone thanks me for introducing them :(

• @serverian said:
    Noone thanks me for introducing them :(

Pretty sure I posted the first thing about them in that DO thread ;-).

• myhkenmyhken Member

serverian said: Noone thanks me for introducing them :(

Sorry for that :D Of course, I had not found Vultr if it was not for your thread.

• tommytommy Member

I love their service too :)

vultr more stable than do, especially in network.

cat /proc/cpuinfo 
    processor   : 0
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 26
    model name  : Vultr Virtual CPU 1
    stepping    : 3
    microcode   : 0x1
    cpu MHz     : 2133.408
    cache size  : 4096 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 1
    core id     : 0
    cpu cores   : 1
    apicid      : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 4
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc up rep_good nopl pni ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm
    bogomips    : 4266.81
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

### Uptime 
     19:38:59 up 57 days,  9:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.10, 0.13
    ## Bandwitdh usage
         estimated      8.32 GiB |  278.79 GiB |  287.11 GiB |

If these VPS stable for next few month, I'll move my main website there.

• myhkenmyhken Member

I also monitor CPU usage on my three test servers, and I have never seen any high CPU usage on any of my servers.

• trexostrexos Member

@myhken said:
    I also monitor CPU usage on my three test servers, and I have never seen any high CPU usage on any of my servers.

How do you do that?

• myhkenmyhken Member

trexos said: How do you do that?

It's only live monitoring, with Status2k (not recommended to use due to security issues).

Thanked by 1trexos
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member

Do they have a client API?

• DaveADaveA Member

Thanks @Myhken ! We're going to work hard to reach 10/10 on your next review! 12 of 12 locations will be online by the end of this week. We are also building out a few more domestic locations (USA).

Thanked by 1myhken
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member

@DaveA said:
    Thanks Myhken ! We're going to work hard to reach 10/10 on your next review! 12 of 12 locations will be online by the end of this week. We are also building out a few more domestic locations (USA).

Client API?

• tommytommy Member
    edited May 2014

DaveA said: Thanks @Myhken ! We're going to work hard to reach 10/10 on your next review! 12 of 12 locations will be online by the end of this week. We are also building out a few more domestic locations (USA).

And I hope you increase bandwidth alocation for Asia location

• myhkenmyhken Member

DaveA said: 12 of 12 locations will be online by the end of this week.

Looking forward to try out your Germany DC also. And also looking forward to you lift the 100mbit limit in the Netherlands.

• @Virtovo said:
    Do they have a client API?

There: https://www.vultr.com/api/

• Good to see a review from a guy who understands difference between real & fake cloud!

Thanked by 2myhken OnraHost
  • bobbybobby Member

How is it "fake" kvm? Weird, seeing you can use own isos.
    Is ipv6 available? If so; all or selected locations?

• myhkenmyhken Member

bobby said: How is it "fake" kvm?

I did not say that it was fake KVM, but "fake" (KVM) cloud, since they are not a real cloud provider, like etc: iwStack.com.
    But they have lots of cloud features, so they can sell their product as a cloud service.
    What you really get is just another KVM VPS on a normal node, and if that node goes down, your server also goes down. No HA or failover service. (or load balancing)
    Still, VULTR is not alone selling a product like this as cloud service, so nothing wrong with that.

bobby said: Is ipv6 available?

No.

• Good detailed review.

How well does their upgrade/downgrade feature work in term of downtime?

• myhkenmyhken Member

OnraHost said: How well does their upgrade/downgrade feature work in term of downtime?

Good question, I will test this out tomorrow. Never done a upgrade/downgrade. So I will test both.

• myhkenmyhken Member

@OnraHost I have tested the server upgrade function at Vultr, and the upgrade took only around one minute on a empty server. Maybe it take longer time on a server with lots of data. Maybe @DaveA can say something about that.

There is no downgrade option on Vultr. Only upgrade.

• Great review. I've subscribing your blog :-)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • sleddogsleddog Member

DaveA said: Thanks @Myhken ! We're going to work hard to reach 10/10 on your next review! 12 of 12 locations will be online by the end of this week. We are also building out a few more domestic locations (USA).

Snapshots and I'm a customer :)

• struesstrues Member

@sleddog said:

The've got snapshots released now although still in beta

• DaveADaveA Member

@sleddog said:

We've now activated snapshots for all customers. It is still in "Beta" just in case any issues pop up that we didn't iron out in our initial beta test.

Thanked by 2sleddog myhken