Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen or KVM VPS: 512mb/10gb/300gb with CPU restriction enabled
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen or KVM VPS: 512mb/10gb/300gb with CPU restriction enabled

Hi,

Our current VPS provider moved our vps to a newer node, and now it keeps getting suspended for high CPU use. The vps was running fine for the last 6 months on the old node, but on the new node it does not limit the CPU share, so we need a new host.

The VPS runs a script once every 24 hours which reads supplier feeds, then normalizes the data (heavy mysql usage) and sends it off to our frontend servers. This takes 3-4 hours and uses 100% of the VPS's resources while doing this. It shouldn't be a problem if the vps container is set up correctly. The load is not an issue of a large number of customers accessing/overloading a website or anything, just the script running and doing its own thing. We don't even point a domain at the vps.

Looking for something with:
512mb-1gb ram
10gb disk space
300gb bandwidth
1x IPv4
Debian
Properly shared/restricted CPU usage for the container.
Prefer Xen

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

AbusiveCores from @DrServer fits your needs.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@matthewvz thank you for mentioning

@snowblind check our abusivecores.com

• M66BM66B Veteran

Maybe you can use https://github.com/opsengine/cpulimit instead of moving to another server (and potentially get the same problem).

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited May 2014

If you have a budget of $20, use Linode. They are Xen PV based and are happy for you to burst 3-4 hours of 100% CPU a day. They are stable, reliable and you get 2GB RAM + 48GB Pure SSD too, if they are any useful to you.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

You could also look at a Kimsufi or Delimeter dedi near that price too if you wanted to go that route.

• @AThomasHowe said:
    You could also look at a Kimsufi or Delimeter dedi near that price too if you wanted to go that route.

They need CPU power, Atom's processing power is rubbish and I doubt that they can finish the work required within 24 hours.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

Who said an Atom? Core™ i3 $20.55 (15 EUR)/m from Kimsufi, $20/m 2 x Dual Core 5150 Xeon from Delimeter.

edit: I thought you said $20 budget, not the other guy. My bad. Still maybe an option tho.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

You better just look for a KVM VPS provider that meets your hardware specifications for a affordable price and send them a pre-sale email about the CPU usage, ask if it is a problem etc. I don't think that it is going to be a problem on kvm virtualizations.

• Hi guys, Thanks for all the replies.

At the moment I have fixed the problem with the host by setting mysql to run as a low priority process, and am starting the cronjobs using nice to set them to low priority too. (I tried cpulimit, but it was causing the mysql db to drop connections)

The host has confirmed that the scripts are now running at an acceptable CPU usage (even though its taking the same amount of time, and using top, it shows 100% vps cpu utilization).

If I run into problems again, I am definitely switching away from KVM/current host.