Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Internet is so cheap in America as compared to other countries?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Internet is so cheap in America as compared to other countries?

I have seen Google Fiber 1Gbps for $70+tax, though it is currently in 3 cities. Its prices are high in Asian countries and even speed is low with that high price.

What makes it cheap in USA and not in other countries?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

You can't compare something which is available in 3 cities with other countries.

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

Google Fibre isnt standard pricing, its cheap as its heavily subsidised.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2014

I don't know about the 3 cities that are currently benefitting from Google Fiber, but I have to pay $30 a month to AT&T to have a 1.5 Mbps DSL line. It sucks.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I would beg to differ

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited May 2014

@TheKiller said:
    I have seen Google Fiber 1Gbps for $70+tax, though it is currently in 3 cities. Its prices are high in Asian countries and even speed is low with that high price.

What makes it cheap in USA and not in other countries?

I wish those 3 cities spanned the whole USA. I have to pay $40/mo for 18mbit. The united states has some of the slowest and most expensive internet in the world.

• @Corey said:
    I wish those 3 cities spanned the whole USA. I have to pay $40/mo for 18mbit. The united states has some of the slowest and most expensive internet in the world.

$40 for 18mbit? Dude...

I'm paying like $100/month for 100Mbit fiber (up and down), TV with all extra packages, and unlimited local phone calls. The fiber on itself would be like $60-$65.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • heh, sorry bro..... but internet is cheaper in Sweden compared to United states.

• myhkenmyhken Member

I pay $100/mo for a 100mbit down / 10mbit up cable connection here in Norway.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

£4/month here (just under $7) for 30Mbit down, 2Mbit up.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2014

I pay 41$ (30Euro) for 4MB/s down and 350kb/s up in DE, also unlimited phone calls.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2014

@liamwithers said:

With who?? VM?

I assume that's excluding the phone line rental also?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Go to most non cities in America and you'll struggle to get a good Internet connection in the first place let alone.

@liamwithers said:

Talktalk?

We got VM and pay £50/month for 120Mbit down / 12Mbit up, should be 150/15 soon for 'free', of course they raised the price already before they give the 'free' upgrade.

• I have the same doubt, in-us vps's are always cheaper

• I pay $60/mo (Introductory pricing, though I've been able to keep on intro rates by constantly switching plans for the past few years :D) for 50/5 Mbps Cable Internet right now. A few months ago I was paying $60/mo (also intro rate) for 18/2 Mbps, though my ISP recently finished with their additional fiber in to my town, so we get faster internets. The highest tier here is 100/10 Mbps for $80/mo Intro, $110/mo after that. My area was originally supposed to be getting FttH with Federal Monies, as we're in a more rural area, but that fell through thanks to the Recession :(.

• cassacassa Member

I pay $15/mo for 500Mbps in the Netherlands

• BoxodeBoxode Member

$120/m here for 30Mbit DL & 5Mbit UL (cable), including IPTV & phone line. I'm in Australia, the land where a 1Gbps line will cost you your left leg.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited May 2014

We pay $120 for TV, Phone , and Internet. Comcast friggin sucks though as they have sometimes have their little 3 hour maintenances in the middle of the work day during prime hours. The only other provider here where I live is AT&T, but they aren't even cable.

@cassa said:

That sounds..amazing.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited May 2014

@cassa said:

What provider? Tweak?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Here in Montreal, 30mb/10mb for 28$/month

• hoczajhoczaj Member
    edited May 2014

The cheapest&fastest one @ Hungary, which is not available in every city is the following:

$21/month for 80 Mbit download and 25 Mbit upload.

And it is stable... :)

However UPC offers a 240 / 20 Mbit/s peak for $37/month (but it wasn't that stable for me, and usually the guaranteed speed was available for weeks: 60 / 5 Mbit/s, sometimes it did not even reach the guaranteed speed...)

• CoreyCorey Member

@gattytto said:
    I have the same doubt, in-us vps's are always cheaper

Please note that connectivity at datacenters is no representation of connectivity from ISPs to homes.

• toshosttoshost Member, Host Rep

I pay $30/ 2mb in BD (really sucks)

• SunnSunn Member

I pay 50 Dollars, 3 MBPS down, 1 MBPS up. I live in NYC.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

The home broadband Internet connectivity both in price and quality is crappy in the US. Google Fiber is anything but a general representation of it, it's rather a complete opposite of the status quo, aiming to dramatically change it.

In Russia we have 100/100 Mbit (symmetric speeds are the norm), for $15-20/month.

Thanked by 1Rob92
  • ViennaVienna Member

@hoczaj said:
    However UPC offers a 240 / 20 Mbit/s peak for $37/month

Wow, that's what I call a perfect example for discriminatory pricing!
    In Austria UPC charges € 165 (~$ 225) for their respective top tier package (250/25).
    And it doesn't even seem to be purchasing power or income related, as in Switzerland (where income and p.p. is much higher) the same UPC package is offered for CHF 95 (~$ 130).

• hoczajhoczaj Member
    edited May 2014

@Vienna but to make a point: the average wage is € 492 (~$ 680)

In austria it is 2114 EUR (~ 2796 USD) If I'm correct. :)

It is 4,1 higher. But yes, your is a bit higher since our would be $ 152 in Austria.

But it almost seems purchasing power and income related to me.
    And hungarian UPC is really oversold. If they have 10gbit uplink, they surely sell 20000gbit. And our is come at an additional price... 1 year contract... I stucked with them, for 1 year. 1 year filled with agony. From 14:00 until 20:00, 70% packet loss, 800-1600 ping if the packet is received... but usually: timeout,timeout,timeout,1800ms,timeout,timeout,798ms,timeout ...

But about Switzerland you are right. Their average wage is $ 5600, so... :) But I bet, that other things are fairly more expensive than in my or your country.

Oh and some things is really shortly becoming Luxury @ Hungary. Like Fuel: € 1,4 / liter. If you want to fill your, you have to spend ~ € 58,8 (11% of your monthly income.) And the minimum wage here is: € 330.

But I'm not going to whine about my Country. I'm a programmer. If you're good, you can get € 25 / hour (or even € 40/hour). So if you work 8 hours 7 days a week, = € 6000 (so it is not impossible to earn more than the average Swiss wage @ Hungary)

However to correct myself: You do not have to be a programmer. You just need a purpose&goals and intention to reach them. Money is just something that you use to reach your goals. It is more like energy. If you have a lot of money, means that you have a lot of energy. So you cannot have a Goal like: Make a lot of money. It is like: make a lot of energy. But for what? :)

So I know people who are "just a baker", "just a hairdresser", "just a insert basic profession" but they really want a house, so they find their way to happiness, and they know that happiness is the road toward our goal, not the moment when you reach it. :)

Thanked by 1Sunn
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2014

Are we using today's exchange rates and what's the frame of reference?

I live in Canada but earn most income in GBP. Last January the rate was 1.50/1 and now it's 1.83/1... 22% variation. Things now 'seem' less expensive in CAD.

IMO the cost to do business in the US is relatively low and prices tend to find their equilibrium quicker. That and it's the oldest market for interwebz connections. It was pretty common for >50% visitors to any random site to be of US origin at the turn of the millenium. Cost of living is generally lower than non-US-Western cities.

I don't think the price differences are too huge, the cost of living/cost of operating aspect is probably the main difference.

• cassacassa Member

@Floris said:
    What provider? Tweak?

Friends deal ;)

• rm_ said: In Russia we have 100/100 Mbit (symmetric speeds are the norm), for $15-20/month.

I'm curious, how ubiquitous is that? Could I pick just about any address in any major city and get 100Mbps speeds for that price?

This discussion has been closed.