Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hourly charges
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hourly charges

J1021J1021 Member
edited May 2014 in Requests

Hi,

I recently discovered the thread here about motherboard1.com and how they advertise hourly pricing. Can I really purchase a virtual server for 1 hour and pay $0.02?

This would be really useful for me as I have the need for Windows instances a few hours a month.

Thanks

Comments

• trexostrexos Member

Yes, this means hourly pricing. Never used motherboard1.com though.

• Yes, although you normally need to deposit like $5 first.

• trexostrexos Member

@Jack said:
    It's http://mothership1.com/ not motherboard easy mistake...

I see, sorry for the mistake. Just copied it from above :)

• J1021J1021 Member

Sorry for the mistake! Yeh, I had heard not to use them so I will avoid.

So next question, which company requires the lowest deposit? I've been looking at Linode and DO but am open to suggestions.

• Linode and DO don't do Windows. Vultr does.

• J1021J1021 Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    Linode and DO don't do Windows. Vultr does.

I see, so what is minimal deposit there? Can I literally despot $5, run an instance for 3 hours a month and literally be charged $0.09 on the smallest tariff?

• @1e10 I think Vultr allow deposits as low as $5 so yes, and your first deposit is doubled. Yes it'll cost you the hourly rate as long as you destroy (delete) the VM when you're done with it, not power it off.

• J1021J1021 Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    1e10 I think Vultr allow deposits as low as $5 so yes, and your first deposit is doubled. Yes it'll cost you the hourly rate as long as you destroy (delete) the VM when you're done with it, not power it off.

Thanks, I'll give them a go.

Do they have any sort of affiliate scheme that someone may want me to use?

• 1e10 said: Do they have any sort of affiliate scheme that someone may want me to use?

Maybe, not me though. I like Digital Ocean myself as I am a *nix guy :) Hope it works for you.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

No one mentioned iwstack, they are pretty cool too, even though the web UI is complete shit.

Windows 2008 or 2012 licensed template €0.0125 €9.00

You can also probably use your own license.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • J1021J1021 Member

AThomasHowe said: Maybe, not me though. I like Digital Ocean myself as I am a *nix guy :) Hope it works for you.

Me too, just this one piece of software I run that isn't available for nix yet! Though I haven't tried it in Wine yet.

• J1021J1021 Member

Ah yes, do Vultr include licenses?

• StevieStevie Member

@perennate

No one mentioned iwstack because they want a 30 euro minimum deposit :-) i doubt OP will want to put $40 down just to use a windows vm for 3 hours

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

1e10 said: Ah yes, do Vultr include licenses?

Yes, it is extra hourly fee I think.

Edit: $0.034 for Windows with 1024 MB RAM

• nunimnunim Member

AWS has always had hourly Windows instances, however the initial setup time for Windows can be quite long, almost half an hour in my experience.

• VPNVPN Member

Microsoft Azure can do this too. All Windows licenses available to choose from and initial installs used to take me about 3 or 4 minutes on Azure.

• LOL... mothershit1 wants a min of $50USD to open my account...

• rds100rds100 Member

It only does this to people it doesn't like.

• What is it with these new space-themed cloud providers that make it difficult to even become a customer.

I have been trying to get an account with https://www.runabove.com/ to try out their service, with out any luck...I have signed up, and even tweeted them..

I guess they don't like money? Maybe they only want space-bucks?

• I don't mind a good space theme, that run above one is pretty underwhelming in all aspects though.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

RunAbove is still in beta. You need to be a devops or go to a OVH World Tour to get a voucher for now. But I try the service and it's amazing! ;)