Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edis Chicago network problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Edis Chicago network problems

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited May 2012 in General

Anyone noticed network problems with Edis' Chicago (KVM) after network upgrade?

Comments

• ChanChan Member

For some reason my edis can now be only reached by VNC, I seems to have lost the internet connection somehow

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

Yes I am offline too. Really disappointing.

• WilliamWilliam Member

Yes, we are aware of the issue.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@William any estimates?

• laaevlaaev Member

What datacenter are they using for Chicago?

• WilliamWilliam Member

@gbshouse said: @William any estimates?

Not yet, we don't know the cause yet.

@FTN_Kevin said: What datacenter are they using for Chicago?

Steadfast (Swiftway)

They use a provider called Swiftway, which I believe has racks in Steadfast.

• WilliamWilliam Member

All VPS are booting up again and should be available in a few minutes.

Sorry for the issue, it looks like a bad play between KVM and the network stack.

Is this something that could easily happen again at any time?

• WilliamWilliam Member

@JoeMerit said: Is this something that could easily happen again at any time?

Maybe, but it should nto after upgrade to KVM 1.0

• Hi guys!
    sorry for the repeated problems in our chicago location. We will be upgrading all our nodes to KVM 1.0 at the beginning of the next week. This will hopefully fix "strange KVM behaviour". Once again sorry for any inconvenience caused!
    Gerhard

• Problems in Chicago have been fixed! The guys in the datacenter "assumed" that we are bonding ethernet interfaces and configured something strange without letting us know, causing one of our ethernet interfaces to flap on / off - they called this "loop prevention". Thinking about the amount of kicks into their a**** they got, I'm not sure If they would enjoy sitting today.

I'd like to once again apologize for the irritating downtimes and to assure you, that we are working hard on keeping the quality of our services high.

Just send me an email with your Chicago KVM server_id to [email protected] to claim your compensation. We will then give you a month of service for free (you receive the next invoice 1 month later).

Cheers,
    Gerhard Kleewein

• WoetWoet Member

Why did you only send out a notice 15 minutes before the planned maintenance a few days ago?
    And why do people have to e-mail to get an explanation/credit instead of sending all affected customers an e-mail and credit them automatically?

@ExPl0ReR said: I'd like to once again apologize for the irritating downtimes and to assure you, that we are working hard on keeping the quality of our services high.

Thanks Gerhard! Glad you got it fixed as my KVM in Chicago is my favourite VPS :)

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Woet said: Why did you only send out a notice 15 minutes before the planned maintenance a few days ago?

And why do people have to e-mail to get an explanation/credit instead of sending all affected customers an e-mail and credit them automatically?

I do it the same way. Not all people want credit and it is much easier instead of doing them all at once. Because it takes a while to search for the people, click on their names, add credit, and repeat. It By having the client submit the ticket it removes the searching part which often takes the longest.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@PytoHost said: Because it takes a while to search for the people, click on their names, add credit, and repeat.

It takes a single query to find the clients that were affected.
    It takes a second query to add credit to the affected accounts.

All in all, ~4 minutes of coding, testing, and then a live fire run. Most providers have clients request credit knowing that the majority of them won't, ergo the provider will lose less money.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: All in all, ~4 minutes of coding, testing, and then a live fire run. Most providers have clients request credit knowing that the majority of them won't, ergo the provider will lose less money.

That is an awful lot of words to call bullshit

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • u4iau4ia Member

@Aldryic said: Most providers have clients request credit knowing that the majority of them won't

I personally wouldn't ask for a credit if I wasn't affected. If it happens to be a VPS that isn't being used in production at the moment, and I wasn't currently doing anything on it, it wouldn't feel right to ask for compensation. I would ask, however, if I was actually affected.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@miTgiB said: That is an awful lot of words to call bullshit

I'm not one of those keen to make claims without citing any proof or applicable example.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@u4ia said: I personally wouldn't ask for a credit if I wasn't affected. If it happens to be a VPS that isn't being used in production at the moment, and I wasn't currently doing anything on it, it wouldn't feel right to ask for compensation. I would ask, however, if I was actually affected.

Oh, I agree with you. And even when I am affected, I won't bother the provider with it unless I actually took a loss.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Maybe you should stay out of this discussion. I am not judging what you are saying, but you are a competitor and it simply looks shitty.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Amitz said: Maybe you should stay out of this discussion. I am not judging what you are saying, but you are a competitor and it simply looks shitty.

Might want to clarify who you're talking to there. I take no issue with how Edis handles their business (@William seems to be doing a good job keeping everything going smooth), and we handle credits in much the same manner anyways. Merely correcting Pyto's assertion on why most providers would choose to wait for clients to request a credit.

Thanked by 1beard
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2012

Okay. It seems I misunderstood the context then. For me it seemed as if you wanted to badmouth a competitor's way of handling credits. But I was obviously wrong and therefore take that back. Please note that I am not a native english speaker... ;)

• AldryicAldryic Member

Haha, no worries, no harm done :3

• AmitzAmitz Member

Good. :)

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Woet said: Why did you only send out a notice 15 minutes before the planned maintenance a few days ago?

Because it was not "planned", we got only a small window from the DC itself shortly before they did it - Besides that we announced the maintenance (and what would be done) over a week (with no specific time tho) before also.

@Aldryic said: It takes a single query to find the clients that were affected.

It takes a second query to add credit to the affected accounts.

In the USA, yes :)
    In Austria doesn't, WHMCS credit does not comply with our tax and accounting laws which is.... annoying.
    We need to modify the due date, and cancel invoices if they were already generated (which has other problems then, since WHMCS seems to have problems generating them then at the next due date) so it is not as easy for us as for the typical US provider with SolusVM or the usual UK sole trader who has much easier paperwork.

• WoetWoet Member

@William said: Because it was not "planned", we got only a small window from the DC itself shortly before they did it

Then you should have told your DC it's unacceptable and that they should give you a window ahead of time.

@William said: Besides that we announced the maintenance (and what would be done) over a week (with no specific time tho) before also.

I did receive a notice 2 days ahead of time indeed, but it was not specific at all like you mentioned.

@William said: In Austria doesn't, WHMCS credit does not comply with our tax and accounting laws which is.... annoying.

Then why don't you use or write a system that does comply?

P.S: Besides these 2 hickups, the VPS has been great. Still waiting for you to fix "My tickets" in WHMCS though.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Woet said: Then why don't you use or write a system that does comply?

We did (and in fact still use it for the billing of Webhosting), and customers were unhappy with it, now we changed to WHMCS and you are still unhappy - so we can't make you happy it seems :)

@Woet said: P.S: Besides these 2 hickups, the VPS has been great. Still waiting for you to fix "My tickets" in WHMCS though.

We do not, and will never, use the WHMCS Ticket system - all support is to be done by email and phone only.
    (Hint: WHMCS is again not law abiding, so we have our own ticket system running in the background (OTRS).)

@Woet said: Then you should have told your DC it's unacceptable and that they should give you a window ahead of time.

We did, but that doesn't change anything now.

@Woet said: I did receive a notice 2 days ahead of time indeed, but it was not specific at all like you mentioned.

Well? It said:
    There will be downtime.
    There will be an upgrade to Gbit, which is also the cause for the downtime.

:)

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited May 2012

Don't get me wrong @William, I wasn't taking a shot at how you do things (we do similar, after all :P). Just correcting the other guy's assumption that it -had- to be manual.

@William said: cancel invoices if they were already generated (which has other problems then, since WHMCS seems to have problems generating them then at the next due date)

Invoicing is done based on tblinvoiceitems. We don't deal with cancelled invoices due to the clutter involved; easier just to remove them. But to fix your due date issue, use $cinvoice as the invoice that was cancelled, and $service as the &id=#### of the product, and just do:

"DELETE FROM tblinvoiceitems WHERE invoiceid = '". $cinvoice ."' AND relid = '". $service ."'"

If a service has a tblinvoiceitems entry where the corresponding invoice is not marked as Paid, then the service will not generate any further invoicing, regardless of the due date you give it; simply remove this entry and invoicing will continue as it should.

Alternately, you can enable Continuous Invoice Generation in WHMCS (Setup->Configuration->Invoices), which will bypass this, but will also continue to generate invoices for suspended services and services which have not paid the prior invoice.

@William said: In Austria doesn't, WHMCS credit does not comply with our tax and accounting laws which is.... annoying.

What are the stipulations involved? WHMCS is very, very malleable; it shouldn't be difficult at all to add in a modification to be able to safely remove a good bit of manual workload while staying in compliance with local law.

• rds100rds100 Member

I wouldn't want to mess with the whmcs database directly myself. It takes just one small typo to create a lot of chaos.