Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vzctl (4.7) issues with ploop(Solusvm/Openvz)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vzctl (4.7) issues with ploop(Solusvm/Openvz)

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited May 2014 in General

Hey Let,
Just a notice to all regarding ploop(http://openvz.org/Ploop) on solusvm/Openvz.

Seems the vzctl has some issues with the ploop in their latest version(4.7). They should fix it within a few days hopefully.

if anyone is having issue I recommend you to downgrade the vzctl to the stable version to resolve this at the moment until it gets resolved.

Comments

• Yeah, I experienced this with a recent install, and have actually decided against using ploop at all, for now. I'll check back into it in a few months.

• Question, does it still have issues if you install the ploop libraries and set the filesystem layout option in /etc/vz/vz.conf to simfs? We found out with Feathur that you need to have ploop installed with vzctl 4.7 even if you're still using simfs for the Filesystem layout.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited May 2014

@Magiobiwan said:
    Question, does it still have issues if you install the ploop libraries and set the filesystem layout option in /etc/vz/vz.conf to simfs? We found out with Feathur that you need to have ploop installed with vzctl 4.7 even if you're still using simfs for the Filesystem layout.

At the moment in solusvm, We have the /etc/vz/vz.conf setup with VE_LAYOUT=simfs added and we also have ploop* installed and no luck. But were able to disable it and it works fully which I think we might have to do until its resolved fully.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2014

The latest Solus update corrects for the vzctl 4.7 changes I do believe. We installed a node yesterday and have been provisioning without incident ( we aren't using ploop, and we didn't modify the vz.conf file at all outside of a standard setup )

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited May 2014

@SkylarM said:
    The latest Solus update corrects for the vzctl 4.7 changes I do believe. We installed a node yesterday and have been provisioning without incident ( we aren't using ploop, and we didn't modify the vz.conf file at all outside of a standard setup )

Yeah without ploop the solusvm panel works perfectly fine, Just with it installed/active on the latest version it wont create new vps.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2014

@MonsteR said:
    Yeah without ploop the solusvm panel works perfectly fine, Just with it installed/active on the latest version it wont create new vps.

I had it working with Ploop, I assume you have the ploop option checked in Solus under the node settings?

Edit: Eh that was on a dev system without the latest Solus update and using 4.6 vzctl, so not sure on current vzctl/solus. I'd say Ploop is a tad premature to really start using quite yet at any rate.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited May 2014

@SkylarM said:
    Edit: Eh that was on a dev system without the latest Solus update and using 4.6 vzctl, so not sure on current vzctl/solus. I'd say Ploop is a tad premature to really start using quite yet at any rate.

Yeah, Even the solusvm guy's can't make it work on the newest version of Vzctl, vzcore, with ploop so it has to be a confirmed issue. but without ploop ticket the node will work just as normal.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member

@Jack said:
    Poop isn't installed by default...

Please do yum install ploop -y and your issue will most likely be resolved.

Yeah.... We installed ploop @Jack don't worry :) lol

• MonsteRMonsteR Member

@Jack said:
    Message me and I'll see if I can assist you then.

It's not the case of it being an issue with our node or setup, It's an issue with the latest version of vzctl not working correctly with ploop. But thanks for the offer.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member

@Jack said:
    FYI: Doesn't really look good on yourself as a provider with a typo in the title "Solsuvm".

Typo's happen, Thanks for letting me know anyway.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member

@Jack said:
    Well the fact that I have configured a number of nodes in the past 2 weeks with 2.6.32-042stab085.20 and 2.6.32-042stab088.4 and 4.7 I was just offering to take a look to see if I could help.

Thanks for the offer again, but we will revert back the last release of vzctl, vzcore.

• @Jack said:
    Poop isn't installed by default...

Please do yum install ploop -y and your issue will most likely be resolved.

Since you pointed out OP's typo, I thought I'd point out yours above... 'poop' typo doesn't really look good on you either :)

• ahh gotcha

• duyan13duyan13 Member

solusvm released an update right ?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Magiobiwan said:
    Question, does it still have issues if you install the ploop libraries and set the filesystem layout option in /etc/vz/vz.conf to simfs? We found out with Feathur that you need to have ploop installed with vzctl 4.7 even if you're still using simfs for the Filesystem layout.

That's how we fixed it until SolusVM updated their install script.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@SkylarM said:

Ploop has been around forever. It's a necessary move to bring OpenVZ one step closer to imitating actual virtualization. Glad they started pushing it harder with the vzctl update. Solus needs to keep up! ;)

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

@jarland said:
    Ploop has been around forever. It's a necessary move to bring OpenVZ one step closer to imitating actual virtualization. Glad they started pushing it harder with the vzctl update. Solus needs to keep up! ;)

I haven't honestly been following it too much. Have they improved disk resizing down? I know that's one of the main drawbacks (or was).

• @Jack said:
    It works but not fully for e.g downsizing VMs ect.

Huh? It supports re-sizing.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@SkylarM said:
    I haven't honestly been following it too much. Have they improved disk resizing down? I know that's one of the main drawbacks (or was).

My memory says yes so you can put about 30% faith in it ;)

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

@jarland said:
    My memory says yes so you can put about 30% faith in it ;)

Haha okay.

• smansman Member

Thanks for this thread. I think I will wait a little longer before I consider running any production systems on ploop. Sounds like it's still not quite there for serious stuff.

• I currently do the following for Ploop support and SolusVM. Create it without Ploop support. Then just convert the VM to Ploop via terminal. All seems to work ok until they fix it at SolusVM for full automation.