Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help: Redirect domain A to domain B
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help: Redirect domain A to domain B

JoeBissJoeBiss Member

Hello,

I use wordpress and I need to change my domain from f1plus to formulawahed.com - I want to host the same domain on the same server (Shared).

What do I need to do?

I believe I need to follow these steps:

1) Copy all the files from domain A and place the files in domain B.
2) Copy the database.
3) make the redirect using htaccess.

Is that right? My hosting said I could using the "pointer" feature in directadmin to point the domain to the new location but I don't know if it'll be good for SEO.

Also he told me to keep the database and change home URL in the options table. But that's for sure will make the links unavailable for redirection. Is that right?

Please someone can shed some light on this issue?

Much appreciated!

Comments

• nunimnunim Member

Are you trying to Clone the site, i.e. have 2 copies of the same content or just point one domain to the other?

If you use WordPress you can use the duplicator plugin.

• tommytommy Member

you don't need to copy files/database ;)

just point A record (new domain) to your hosting IP then add .htaccess to redirect old domain to new domain
    something like this

RewriteEngine on 
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

btw, I don't know about SEO part

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

A 301 the preferred method. You'll notice a slight dip in SEO as it takes time for the new URL to be indexed.

If using Apache:

Redirect 301 / http://www.newdomain.com/

• wychwych Member

Use a 301 redirect and if any volume of traffic comes via Google Search you may also want to submit a change of address in webmaster tools.