Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The first things to do after installing cPanel on VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The first things to do after installing cPanel on VPS

hayvanhayvan Member

First of all, a newbie here.

I have never set up and managed a VPS before. Recently started a plan on DO and created a CentOS 6.5 x64 droplet. I've read many things about VPS, free/paid panels and decided to go on with cPanel.

Maybe you are laughing to me but I just want to start to learn it somehow. I will manage only one small scale eCommerce (based on OpenCart) site on the VPS. I think it will be better than running the page on a shared hosting. What should I do after installing cPanel? Are there any extensions I have to install or it is like plug and play?

Comments

• jhjh Member
    Thanked by 1hayvan
  • lol installed the cPanel but it says the license is expired. It says the a cPanel license has been used on the same IP before. I'm soo lucky yeah.

• Did you purchase a cPanel license? If not, try BuycPanel.com

• Enable 2nd level quota support if your on OpenVZ for quotas to work corectly.

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • @George_Fusioned said:
    Did you purchase a cPanel license? If not, try BuycPanel.com

I havent bought a license yet. Just wanted to take advantage of 15 days trial :)

• BradBrad Member

@hayvan said:
    I havent bought a license yet. Just wanted to take advantage of 15 days trial :)

Who did you buy your license from?

• hayvanhayvan Member
    edited April 2014

@Brad said:
    Who did you buy your license from?

I didn't buy any license yet. I just created a droplet, installed the cPanel and it said the license expired on the IP. But I would like to try 15 days first.

• Take a long, long piss and sell some shared hosting afterwards. :)

• khavkhav Member
    edited April 2014

Contact your host and ask them to give a new ip address and then you reinstall cpanel

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • wychwych Member

Change SSH port.

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • If you're only hosting a small site, why not go with shared hosting, which also includes cPanel?

Unless you're prepared to do a lot of reading on security practices you need to deploy on your VPS to keep it secure, etc.. etc.. - it should be best to go with a shared unmanaged host.