Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS is a terrible company.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS is a terrible company.

VoyanceVoyance Member
edited April 2014 in Reviews

So I've been with CVPS a little over a year and since then I've had nothing over than piss poor performance and node availability with them. Every node I was ever placed on would just go down.

This past weekend the node i was on was constantly going offline, not pingable, going up and down all weekend. And I had to scream at CVPS to get some information as to what was going on with my VPS. After telling me it was being DDoS'ed, and they were working on it, it persisted through Monday. At this point and three days since my original ticket, I asked for a partial refund for the remainder of my services and they outright refused and were completely rude about it. Since they refused and I threatened to perform a chargeback, they outright deleted my account at CVPS and terminated my node with no warning. With time remaining on my annual payment (December).

Do not do business with this company, they claim 24/7 support, which is completely false - my server was down last Thanksgiving holiday and it took them days to get it back up with limited to no replies. Anything is better than this.

See screenshots:

Comments

• Hello Angrybird!!!

• Ian_Ian_ Member
    edited April 2014

You threatened a chargeback which means no refund and immediate termination. You actually just shot yourself in the foot with that statement. But if you didn't make that statement I would agree they should of given you a prorated refund. Also personally berating them is unprofessional on your part. So its a lose lose situation.

Thanked by 2mpkossen UltranetUSA
  • blackblack Member
    edited April 2014

You've been with CVPS for over a year, so you knew about the hack. Why did you decide to renew if you think they're incompetent?

You were told this is an ongoing DDoS attack, so you should expect the service to fluctuate. If you wanted your services online ASAP, I would've asked to be transferred to another location / node.

And I had to scream at CVPS to get some information as to what was going on with my VPS.

Seems like they told you what was going on before you started screaming.

"MY NODE IS DOWN YET AGAIN. FIGURE THIS OUT"

Caps lock doesn't help or make things better. They already figured it out and told you it was a DDoS. At this point you just seem unreasonable. It's amusing when you say their responses are unprofessional when your comments are just as bad or worse.

they claim 24/7 support, which is completely false - my server was down last Thanksgiving holiday and it took them days to get it back up with limited to no replies.

Using a well known holiday where people get together with family isn't a good example if you want to disprove they don't have 24/7 support.

Anything is better than this.

lol ok. If you honestly believe this you wouldn't have renewed.

Edit: I just noticed that you rated their responses as one star when you didn't get what you wanted. Heh.

Thanked by 3Ian_ UltranetUSA Pwner
  • MunMun Member

May I make a suggestion for a better company?

Catalysthost
    Ramnode
    Buyvm

They will provide you a much better experience.

Mun

• This isn't the first instance of issues with service with this company, just one.
    The point here is that no matter what situation it is, they have never been good at handling any of them. I have countless tickets regarding downtime with this company, this is but one.

I asked for a partial refund before I threatened a chargeback - which is not crazy crazy. They refused, so I followed up. That's that.

• Voyance said: I asked for a partial refund before I threatened a chargeback - which is not crazy crazy. They refused, so I followed up. That's that.

You must be feeling strong now.

• blackblack Member

Voyance said: This isn't the first instance of issues with service with this company, just one. The point here is that no matter what situation it is, they have never been good at handling any of them. I have countless tickets regarding downtime with this company, this is but one.

Why did you renew then? Your statements are contradictory.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

And I thought the CVPS/CC threads were over

• @black said:
    Because it was a recurring payment and I didn't have time to move my service then. It's hardly contradictory.

• Ian_Ian_ Member

Nope it's a SBS thread.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @serverian said:
    Feeling strong? Yeah, I feel totally strong.

• Say what you will, but any company willing to reply to a paying customer the way they do don't deserve a single cent. I'm giving you money, you provide a service that works.

• blackblack Member
    edited April 2014

@Voyance said:
    Because it was a recurring payment and I didn't have time to move my service then. It's hardly contradictory.

If it's an annual payment as you suggest, it means your last payment was in Dec. 2013. You said you've been with them for more than a year, which means you purchased Dec. 2012. You knew about them getting hacked and all that during this time. You claim their services are bad and "anything is better than this." You renewed anyway.

How are you going to justify that by saying "I didn't have time to move my service then."

"it was a recurring payment" doesn't explain why you renewed it at all. I'm not sure why you put that as a reason.

Thanked by 2Ian_ mpkossen
  • VoyanceVoyance Member
    edited April 2014

It's recurring and it means that the bill pays itself, how does that require any other explanation? And even if I terminated my services before or after the fact, my point still stands that their performance has never been good.

• @netomx said:
    And I thought the CVPS/CC threads were over

Nope, this just marketing. :)

• blackblack Member

@Voyance said:
    It's recurring and it means that the bill pays itself, how does that require any other explanation? And even if I terminated my services before or after the fact, my point still stands that their performance has never been good.

All these bad things happening, you just let it renew? If it renewed and you didn't want it to, shouldn't you have contacted them sooner or even cancelled auto renew in a reasonable time like January instead of when the node got DDoSed?

Again, if their performance has never been good, why didn't you cancel sooner?

• Ian_Ian_ Member
    edited April 2014

Lol

• I would not buy from CVPS myself and the replies you got to your issue I would consider unsatisfactory and vague but in a roundabout way they did eventually do what you asked (explained the downtime) and what you inferred you wished them to do (fix the issue).

Meh. They gave bad support, you flew off the handle and overall the service is about as good as the price you pay for it... such is life.

• Regardless of whether or not I stated I was going to chargeback, I asked for a simple prorated refund. Terminating my account as retaliation and thinking they would get away with the remainder of my payment is insane.

I stayed with the company post-massive hack and figured maybe they would get better and they did not, not in the least.

• LeeLee Veteran

Voyance said: Regardless of whether or not I stated I was going to chargeback

Nope, not how it works. The second you say something like that it's out you go.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    Nope, not how it works. The second you say something like that it's out you go.

That's fine, I asked for a refund, didn't receive it. State chargeback, "out I go". I still received my money back from my CC company, so it's "winning" for me regardless of "how it works".

• Ian_Ian_ Member

If you got your money back why post a thread? You won

• alexhalexh Member

This is disgusting. Why are any of you arguing in favor of CVPS? Can you not read the tickets?

Did you contact us in a reasonable time frame to give us time to fix the problem? Also client's data is not our responsibility to have a backup.

Since then we have started to run our own backup costing us a lot of money. Incompetence, I hope your happy with the company you go with because...

What does this even mean? Did he call a customer incompetent? That's rude.

ChicagoVPS has a shitty network, shitty hardware, and shitty staff, including Chris. They have been proven time and time again to abuse customers, and it's not uncommon for them to blame their faults on the customer themselves. I cannot understand why anybody would fathom going with CVPS after the slew of threads like this that already exist.

Arguing against another member of the community who has been abused, and taken advantage of, by CVPS remains the main reason why people still fall into these traps: it's misinformation, and makes people think these clients are in the wrong. Before you buy a VPS from anybody, do some research.

• Ian_Ian_ Member
    edited April 2014

Sorry actually you read it wrong the op said something about being incompetent or what ever.

• alexhalexh Member

@Ian_ said:
    Sorry actually you read it wrong the op said something about being incompetent or what ever.

How? The reply I quoted was from a staff member of CVPS?

• alexh, who is really defending CVPS? Everyone knows their rep around here. OP being chastised isn't mutually exclusive to a bad opinion about CVPS. OP even hinted that they knew about all of this.

It's like handing your money over to a nigerian prince then yelling "scam! scam!". Just because CVPS may be in the wrong doesn't automatically mean OP is in the right.

• Ian_Ian_ Member

Read it again the ops reply on the 21st mentioning sheer incompetence. The reply was just a statement replying back addressing the ops statement on incompetence. He didn't say that the op was lol.

• we have the best tech's

-an illiterate shmuck

Thanked by 2Ian_ Pwner
This discussion has been closed.