Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does a low dd score mean?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does a low dd score mean?

I got a VPS from OVH and the DD test gives like 10-11MB/s

It's extremely responsive though, and download speeds are great, so what kind of services would it impact (if anything)

I don't like to judge things based on benchmarks so it's not a pronlem so far, but I'm curious

Would it affect game servers, MySQL or only heavily disk based things?

Comments

• blackblack Member

Run ioping and post the results here.

• small breasts...

I believe there's a recent thread about throttling of I/O on OVH VPS plans.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • chrispchrisp Member
    edited April 2014

Would a speed limit of 80 miles an hour have impact on the time of arrival? Yes, sure! But if you would only go 90 miles an hour if the road was unlimited then the limit is not really a blocker. That's how you have to see it. Probably you will only notice when you write/read larger files. It has an impact when you search one word in a large database or text file, but normally it's not really an issue.

• It means disk i/o speeds are slow so any data written/read from the disk will be slow. For most sites and most purposes you probably won't notice low i/o unless it's horrendous but yes, you may feel it on heavier apps like MySQL. Does your site feel okay when you use it? That's the most important thing, it's probably ok for a low volume site.

And as others said, there is some speculation they cap the disk i/o to around 11MB/s on OVH VPSs. A better option maybe someone like i-83 who rent dedicated servers from OVH but provision their own VMs on the boxes.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited April 2014

Yeah I read about the possible cap, I was just wondering if the cap is high enough for it to function well. i.e. the speed limit analogy, is 10-11MB/s like 80mph, or is it more like 20mph (not enough to even reach the speed limit driving through town)?

Anyway, here is an ioping result (I've never used this before so hope it's correct)

4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/vms/60019/private): request=1 time=0.3 ms

4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/vms/60019/private): request=2 time=0.5 ms

4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/vms/60019/private): request=3 time=0.8 ms

4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/vms/60019/private): request=4 time=0.4 ms

P.S. I only got it today, so I don't know about reliability, but it is extremely responsive (like I said this isn't to complain about the transfer "cap" but just to see what kinds of limits it imposes if any.

• How big is your site? If it's a personal blog it'll probably play fine, if you're running a popular wordpress site or a forum which will use the database a lot less so. It is more like 20mph, but 20mph will drive you comfortably through the city (small sites), you're only going to need to go 80mph on the motorway (if your site is high traffic or the task is intensive).

• Yep, an average web page serving something like 500KB/1MB means it can handle a lot of concurrent users on a supposedly limiting IO speed. A well made database should require as little disk seeking as possible with primary key data sitting in memory.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • I really wish it meant the tragicomic conflation of 'lots of complaints on LET' and 'total negligibility in terms of noticeable performance difference for the average LET developer' #thegoodolddays :( Maybe I'm jaded but dd tests just don't feel the same these days. All I want is to read somebody getting angry about a ~5 MB/s dd test result on a $1 VPS... is it too much to ask??

Thanked by 1netomx
  • blackblack Member

@hostnoob said:
    Yeah I read about the possible cap, I was just wondering if the cap is high enough for it to function well. i.e. the speed limit analogy, is 10-11MB/s like 80mph, or is it more like 20mph (not enough to even reach the speed limit driving through town)?

Anyway, here is an ioping result (I've never used this before so hope it's correct)

4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/vms/60019/private): request=1 time=0.3 ms

4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/vms/60019/private): request=2 time=0.5 ms

4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/vms/60019/private): request=3 time=0.8 ms

4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/vms/60019/private): request=4 time=0.4 ms

P.S. I only got it today, so I don't know about reliability, but it is extremely responsive (like I said this isn't to complain about the transfer "cap" but just to see what kinds of limits it imposes if any.

Type

./ioping -c 10 .

Either way, I'd put in a ticket. 10-11 MB/sec is pretty low, and even if they capped it, it should be at least 60 MB/sec.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Low DD means you should raise a ticket with your provider, quickly demand a refund when you're told that there's nothing wrong, threaten a chargeback when you don't get a response within 30 minutes, then finally post a thread here about how it's all scam.

Thanked by 2netomx 0xdragon
  • Nekki said: then finally post a thread here about how it's all scam.

Or WHT.

Thanked by 1Floris
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@AThomasHowe said:
    Or WHT.

You know, I've never really been to WHT, is It full of the same cry babies?

• Like this place I have been a casual observer for a while, and I can say pretty much, yeah. WHT knows how to do hosting drama better than anyone though. Even the worst outbursts on here are dwarfed by the blowouts they've had on WHT.

I really wish there was a best of list somewhere.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@AThomasHowe said:
    I really wish there was a best of list somewhere.

I'm quite sure that is something I'd enjoy very much.

Thanked by 2netomx 0xdragon