Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exelion?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Exelion?

Hello,

https://www.exelion.net I was wondering if any of you guys have heard anything about them.

Thanks

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

From what I know they are a fairly new provider, just a month or so. They are with centarra in Dallas which has a DDOS protected network which is single homed to abovenet I believe.

• I've been with them for half a month.

Servers are great on the hardware. For $125/mon I somehow got a machine with 1270v3 and 4x 240G SSD.

Latency is good.

Outgoing connection is perfect.

Incoming connection speed is the reason why we are going to leave them.

Custom service is ... hard to say. Diablo-D3 provides good service if he know how to do it. Or you may just be left aside if he can't handle that ( like the incoming connection speed problem i mentioned above.

No KVM so far but on progress. No IPv6 so far but on schedule.

I'd say they should deserve a try, but probably not now. Maybe a month later, or two.

• Wiggles741Wiggles741 Member
    edited April 2014

@msg7086 What kind of incoming traffic issues are you having?

• Incoming connection speed is the reason why we are going to leave them.

What specific type of bonding configuration are you using? If he is running the same setup as we are upstream, this is probably the result of packet collisions, as we operate our fabric in an active-active configuration for inbound.

I'll follow up on IRC probably.

• I have a server in 100tb dot com that is expiring. When we were trying to migrating data to the new server, it was about 500KB/s at most, quite stable though.
    Also tested several other servers with exelion, very few can reach high incoming speed. Tried Comcast, university on campus network (1gbps), various vps, you name, and never be faster.

I'm on a phone now, will post more details later.

• @msg7086 said:
    I have a server in 100tb dot com that is expiring. When we were trying to migrating data to the new server, it was about 500KB/s at most, quite stable though.
    Also tested several other servers with exelion, very few can reach high incoming speed. Tried Comcast, university on campus network (1gbps), various vps, you name, and never be faster.

I'm on a phone now, will post more details later.

These details aren't really interesting, the most interesting thing you could provide is a copy of your network configuration and perhaps a screencast of you running wget from a server about 40ms away (so we can observe the effects of TCP window scaling).

Duplicate packets will cause the TCP window to scale backwards due to the way the TCP congestion algorithms are designed. Thusly it is important to observe all of these metrics in order to diagnose the actual problem.

• As a reminder, we do have an official support system. File a ticket through the panel.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited April 2014

@kaniini @Exelion

Thanks for the follow-ups. I'm not complaining nor looking to solve the problem. I'm writing a review from my own viewpoint. We have already moved our large amount of data to another provider so it's not important any more.

The network configuration comes with the default installation, and I only put a bridge interface on top of it. I have also post the configuration file on pastebin and sent you a link. Anyway here it is.

auto bond0
    iface bond0 inet manual
      slaves eth0 eth1
      bond_mode active-backup
      bond_miimon 100
      bond_downdelay 200
      bond_updelay 200
    auto br0
    iface br0 inet static
      bridge_ports bond0
      bridge_stp off
      bridge_maxwait 0
      bridge_fd 9
      address 198.52.214.***
      netmask 255.255.255.248
      network 198.52.214.***
      broadcast 198.52.214.***
      gateway 198.52.214.***
      # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
      dns-nameservers 8.8.4.4

You might be right about the TCP congestion algorithms, but it's hard for me to diagnose the problem because there's no KVM on the server and if I made any mistakes on the network configuration I would have to wipe the drive and do everything again ( which I already DID once ).

And yes it seems to be faster today.

So here's my opinion, exelion is worth a try. Good hardware, good networking (if fixed), teams with knowledge. After they finished the KVM and maybe some other stuff it's a good place to go.

I'm going to cancel the service because the website owner is happier with current linode SSD plan and it takes much less efforts to move the websites, and is cheaper to run everything up. But TBH if the website grows up later and need a dedi again (i.e. more budget), exelion would be my first choice.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

kaniini said: Thusly

Methinks thy falutin bit is set high whilst posting thine comment.