Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got 80GB/sec DDOS..would you answer my questions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Got 80GB/sec DDOS..would you answer my questions?

rrrrrr Member
edited April 2014 in Help

Hi friends

As my last provider informed me, I got 80Gb/sec DDOS 2 days ago. They took my VPS down and its still down So how long such attack continue?

I have very very small hosting company..mainly my web design clients and friends..dont market openly much. How can someone target company like me? Another thing is I have changed my vps to new provider and its very stable now.. still puzzle why attackers are not attacking me on this server..are my last provider lying me?

Most important question is if they suspend my account. They can take backup of vps from node? Isnt it?

Please help

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

maybe 80Mbit/s or 80Gbit/s not 80GB/s

• udkudk Member

Hide behind cloudflare

Did they shutdown your VPS or simply nullroute? If it's a nullroute you should be able to access from control panel assuming they provide a console. Also assuming you don't have outstanding "debts" with them.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MunMun Member

You could have software that they are trying to amplify off of. (unlikely)

You could host a site that is seen wrong in someones eyes and they want it gone. (more likely)

You could host a service that simply makes someone angry. (Likely)

There is lots of reasons to DDOS, doesn't mean any of them are right.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Yeah, it should be 80 gigabits, not gigabytes.

Someone could attack a client of yours, although 80 gbps is a pretty big attack and many providers couldn't even know if it was that big.

It seems weird and maybe your provider could be lying about the size, but it can be real too.

edited April 2014

udk said: Hide behind cloudflare

CloudFlare isn't going to mitigate 80 gbps for cheap. And looks like OP hosts multiple little custommers (multiple plans on CloudFlare, unless you go enterprise with them and that's expensive).

• rrrrrr Member

I am not much technical about this but yes they do write 80GB/Sec check following image

• @Nyr said:
    Yeah, it should be 80 gigabits, not gigabytes.

Someone could attack a client of yours, although 80 gbps is a pretty big attack and many providers couldn't even know if it was that big.

It seems weird and maybe your provider could be lying about the size, but it can be real too.

80Gb/sec DDOS 2 days ago

But then again, many bandwidth counters go wacky when encountered by that much force.

rrr said: I am not much technical about this but yes they do write 80GB/Sec check following image

That's Gb (gigabits) not GB (gigabytes). It's pretty big but realistic.

• rrrrrr Member

@Mun said:
    You could have software that they are trying to amplify off of. (unlikely)

You could host a site that is seen wrong in someones eyes and they want it gone. (more likely)

You could host a service that simply makes someone angry. (Likely)

There is lots of reasons to DDOS, doesn't mean any of them are right.

We dont host any illegal. .hating websites..softwares..most of websites are blogs and ecommerce for small business.

I doubt that I can have ddos any day. We were never in market much..

How can I get data? Vps is suspended. They say I have to wait... so how long such attack continue. .note that I am with new provider but they are still getting attack.. can you explain me this?

If they got a flood of 80 gbps, they nullrouted your VPS = disconnected from the Internet. They can't know if the attack keeps going on, but I don't think they will like to restore service for at least some hours.

Ask them to assign a new IP address just so you can connect and get your data back. Be clear to them about it being only to get the data and not to point any domain to the new address.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well, that's CVPS for sure.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • rrrrrr Member

@netomx said:
    Well, that's CVPS for sure.

Yes its cloud vps. If you meant that. I did ask them Just for backup. They said they cant start vps not sure about new IP but let me ask.

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited April 2014

This is the problem now with hosting if you don't buy ddos protected hosting expect a shitty service is that true or am i wrong i hope i am wrong? Please correct me if i am wrong?

I made a post about this all hosts should be ddos protected as standard, though a big attack would most likely still get your server / hosting account suspended even if you are ddos protected i assume?

• rrrrrr Member

How can 80Gb/Sec DDOS run so long time? Is this possible? 2 days?

• @rrr said:
    How can 80Gb/Sec DDOS run so long time? Is this possible? 2 days?

It's probably a botnet attacking your server, you must have pissed off the wrong people, and yes, this is certainly possible. If you want, you can switch to us, and we are happy to mitigate your DDoS attacks so you can resume your services without problems, check my signature for our latest offers.

• He's on a VPS, there could have very well been an attack on other VPS servers linked to the main dedicated server. I highly recommend OVH, they have included DDOS protection that's capable of easily mitigating an attack of that size within 2 minutes. My services run off the OVH network and my experience has been great. Check out their VPS offerings.

• rrrrrr Member

@Floris said:
    It's probably a botnet attacking your server, you must have pissed off the wrong people, and yes, this is certainly possible. If you want, you can switch to us, and we are happy to mitigate your DDoS attacks so you can resume your services without problems, check my signature for our latest offers.

I am with new provider already. I will keep you in mind for future requirement.

@Cltcam said:
    He's on a VPS, there could have very well been an attack on other VPS servers linked to the main dedicated server. I highly recommend OVH, they have included DDOS protection that's capable of easily mitigating an attack of that size within 2 minutes. My services run off the OVH network and my experience has been great. Check out their VPS offerings.

The allow maximum 5 ips so it will not work for me.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

In order to attract 80gbit of ddos attention you have to be on someone's radar. That's a pretty large attack, even post DNS/NTP reflection.

• In my opinion, companies should either offer DDOS protection as an extra fee, or include it by default. If the company offers no protection over 1gbitp/s, then I would consider them an outdated company, and never consider using them. Without protection, your service can go down at any moment, at any time.

• @Cltcam said:
    In my opinion, companies should either offer DDOS protection as an extra fee, or include it by default. If the company offers no protection over 1gbitp/s, then I would consider them an outdated company, and never consider using them. Without protection, your service can go down at any moment, at any time.

No idea how you can say this. It costs money to provide DDoS Protection and you can't fault a host or call them outdated for not offering it.

• @jeffreywinters said:
    No idea how you can say this. It costs money to provide DDoS Protection and you can't fault a host or call them outdated for not offering it.

Starting a company normally requires investments, loans, and your own money.

• edited April 2014

@Cltcam said:

DDoS Protection should be an optional service, an add-on if they offer it at all.

All the better to the hosts that provide it, but you can't call them outdated if they don't

• @jeffreywinters said:
    All the better to the hosts that provide it, but you can't call them outdated if they don't

Jeff, please read my post. I said that DDOS protection should either be included, or offered as an addon.

• @Cltcam said:

Read mine too. You can't fault them if they don't offer it as an add-on.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited April 2014

@jeffreywinters said:
    Read mine too. You can't fault them if they don't offer it as an add-on.

@jeffreywinters said:

This day in age, starting a hosting company requires innovation. Yes, we do have cPanel and other tools that make hosting easier than it was back in the day, but there are also new threats and obstacles. I run a hosting company, that did not provide DDOS protection. After there was an attack on our network, I came up with an innovative way to protect my clients. If you can't come up with a way to keep attacks out, or you can't invest in third-party protection, I would recommend you stay out of the hosting market. That's my opinion. Almost all of the largest companies in the hosting industry provide some kind of included mitigation or an add-on option. Protection is essential.

• @Cltcam said:

How is it innovative if 100's of hosts already offer it.

You say that it's innovative yet suggest that every host offer it.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • CltcamCltcam Member
    edited April 2014

@jeffreywinters said:
    You say that it's innovative yet suggest that every host offer it.

I think you misunderstood what I said. Companies should either have third-party, standard protection/mitigation, or come up with their own way of protecting clients from the attacks. Normally, third-party protection is costly. If a company can't afford it, they should come up with another way of protecting their clients. Just my 2 cents.
    There are numerous ways to keep attacks out. Some more innovative than others.

• @Cltcam said:
    There are numerous ways to keep attacks out. Some more innovative than others.

Every products have their value. It is doesn't mean u afford or not. When you ready provide the solution, the customer may not accept due to high cost. Nowadays, dos capacity is getting higher, not everyone afford to absorb the capacity in their network. I am pretty sure no even large corporate able to defend the 80Gb/s in asia. Not sure about the USA and Europe.

• rrrrrr Member

@vpsplaza said:
    Every products have their value. It is doesn't mean u afford or not. When you ready provide the solution, the customer may not accept due to high cost. Nowadays, dos capacity is getting higher, not everyone afford to absorb the capacity in their network. I am pretty sure no even large corporate able to defend the 80Gb/s in asia. Not sure about the USA and Europe.

Vps is in USA. I am researching DDOS Hosting websites..I found sever websites with 100Gb+ protection. .one was offering 400Gb for approx 20$ So yes there are companis who can offer big protection

• @rrr said:
    Vps is in USA. I am researching DDOS Hosting websites..I found sever websites with 100Gb+ protection. .one was offering 400Gb for approx 20$ So yes there are companis who can offer big protection

There are only 3 companies I know of that can do that.

OVH

CloudFlare

Voxility