Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any ideas for things to do with a vps server your not using?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any ideas for things to do with a vps server your not using?

sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
edited April 2014 in General

Also anyone know a cms to setup a thumbnail service or something similar also setting up a site like fiverr?

I find it better to make 1 thread for a few questions instead of making lots of threads ^_^

What do you with your server / vps ?
  1. Hosting45 votes
    1. IRC Communications
      20.00%
    2. Apps & testing
        4.44%
    3. Marketing & Hosting
        6.67%
    4. Learning
      15.56%
    5. Projects
      13.33%
    6. Reseller Hosting
        0.00%
    7. Something
      40.00%

Comments

• there are many project you can do. I have one thing in my mind right now. How about, create a web based terminal (example : using GateOne) and open it for everyone. :)

• @sirmbhe said:
    there are many project you can do. I have one thing in my mind right now. How about, create a web based terminal (example : using GateOne) and open it for everyone. :)

Problem with that is that people can use it for malicious purposes and it'll be originating from your server :(

• Interesting ^_^ i would like to make a site where people can use it for browsing online and viewing docs in a secure environment, well a lot of work to do that but still a good idea. I have a domain and a vps nothing happening with it and another vps nothing happening with that either lol

• woops typo Tagged:

vps server ideas
    idead on what to do with a vps server

should be ideas

• how about something like www.lowjs.com

• lol nice ^_^

• Clicked the "Something" option, as I don't like to have idle services.

• Nice! ^_^ i try not to either was just testing some stuff maybe will not buy a year hosting next time i want to test stuff out

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    how about something like www.lowjs.com

I would love that source code :)

• @0xdragon said:
    Problem with that is that people can use it for malicious purposes and it'll be originating from your server :(

Yeah you are right, maybe some kind of prevention needed. Like registration or something

• you can restrict the username to not be able to do different things and also secure your server to don't allow spam/ddos..

• hashwaltzhashwaltz Member
    edited April 2014

keep it idle anytime, don't use for anything, only add more IPs across nations :) ^_^

• twaintwain Member

Bastion host/jumpbox

• aoleeaolee Member

depends on the specs?

• souensouen Member
    edited April 2014

Random idea #1035: set up a chatroom with a bot that ...

• fetches the weather forecast for any town but the one given

• makes digital coffee but has no memory to remember your preferences so it will ask you more questions than the local barista you visit daily (actually yet another timer)

• tells fortunes that are uselessly vague

• finds recipes for dinner given a list of ingredients (but it "knows" there's nothing in the fridge so it will happily recommend instant ramen every night of the week)

• completes sentences with irrelevant statements every time someone says things like "y'know, like ..."

• tries to make friendly conversation with people by asking questions like "when was the last time you got drunk and someone had to drag you home?"

• serves other digital drinks with unidentified ingredients, the excessive consumption of which will garble text on the person's screen until it goes black and the person is kicked out

• has a Russian roulette mode that randomly kicks someone from the room at set intervals

• has a musical chairs mode that will play sounds at no volume for 3 minutes 14 seconds, at the end of which the last person to "sit" each round will be kicked (anyone who tries to "sit" before the music ends will also be kicked)

• has an idleRPG mode that will send monsters at people who dare disturb the peace of your little chat kingdom

Just some features to make your chat service a bit more interesting, you get the drift. :)

Also, here's a thread with more actionable suggestions

• @souen said:
    Random idea #1035: set up a chatroom with a bot that ...

• fetches the weather forecast for any town but the one given

• makes digital coffee but has no memory to remember your preferences so it will ask you more questions than the local barista you visit daily (actually yet another timer)

• tells fortunes that are uselessly vague

• finds recipes for dinner given a list of ingredients (but it "knows" there's nothing in the fridge so it will happily recommend instant ramen every night of the week)

• completes sentences with irrelevant statements every time someone says things like "y'know, like ..."

• tries to make friendly conversation with people by asking questions like "when was the last time you got drunk and someone had to drag you home?"

• serves other digital drinks with unidentified ingredients, the excessive consumption of which will garble text on the person's screen until it goes black and the person is kicked out

• has a Russian roulette mode that randomly kicks someone from the room at set intervals

• has a musical chairs mode that will play sounds at no volume for 3 minutes 14 seconds, at the end of which the last person to "sit" each round will be kicked (anyone who tries to "sit" before the music ends will also be kicked)

• has an idleRPG mode that will send monsters at people who dare disturb the peace of your little chat kingdom

Just some features to make your chat service a bit more interesting, you get the drift. :)

Also, here's a thread with more actionable suggestions

lol that sounds very cool ^_^