Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for new provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for new provider

Wiggles741Wiggles741 Member
edited April 2014 in Requests

Hello,
I am currently with Delimiter(too many network issues, Support has taken up to 3 days to reply) and I am thinking of switching. Can anyone match this?

L5520 Or better

16 GB of ram or higher

1 Gbps port

49$ a month

Comments

• @Fliphost has a dual L5520/24GB offer here.

You can upgrade to a 1Gbps port for $10.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I think if you ask nicely @qps could do this.

Thanked by 1qps
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

agoldenberg said: I think if you ask nicely @qps could do this.

Thanks for the recommendation, but we can't meet this price.

• Out of interest, what network issues? I might be dropping my Delim box at the end of the month but for me so far their network has been very stable since November.

• Well Thursday morning we had network issues for like 10 minutes and very very early this morning we had issues again for about 10 minutes. I have had no other network issues with any of the other 3 lowendtalk providers that I use. But its becoming to be a regular occurance. Now normally I wouldn't notice this because its only like 10 minutes, but I run uptime sensitive services.

(Sorry for the poor grammar. I'm typing this from my phone.)

• Interesting. Since I started monitoring I've had 100% uptime - 664 hrs, 5 mins so far in Atlanta, GA. Are you in Georgia too?

• No I am not in Georgia. Its been extreme packet loss and lag. Random disconnects, but most of the time extreme packet loss which causes those disconnects. I would think its something that an uptime monitor could miss because its not a complete loss of network connection, just unusable.

(Sent from my phone)

• I see. I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, I was just curious as the box I have in Atlanta is the most stable one I have in terms of network.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

forthcloud said: @Fliphost has a dual L5520/24GB offer here.

You can upgrade to a 1Gbps port for $10.

Thanks for the mention however our L5520 offer is out of stock.

Best we have is an i3 with 8GB of RAM for $49

• I somewhat doubt this is our network, we monitor latency, jitter, packet-loss both to the edge and to the core of the network.

We have customers in that site who monitor their servers with 10 second resolution and believe me they start complaining when we drop a single packet. Its the same facility that Delimiter operate from so its either something unique to your office/home connection or its something on the server thats not setup properly.

What monitoring service have you got monitoring it? If not, please do it and make the results public so we can see it. Be sure the monitor your primary IP as well as an addon IP.

Can you post the output of iptables -L -n and also dmesg

What are you running on this server? Is it just a basic OS or is there virtualisation involved? If virtualised, please post your interface configuration as well as your interface statistics on the host server as well as the VM involved.

• @MarkTurner said:
    I somewhat doubt this is our network, we monitor latency, jitter, packet-loss both to the edge and to the core of the network.

We have customers in that site who monitor their servers with 10 second resolution and believe me they start complaining when we drop a single packet. Its the same facility that Delimiter operate from so its either something unique to your office/home connection or its something on the server thats not setup properly.

What monitoring service have you got monitoring it? If not, please do it and make the results public so we can see it. Be sure the monitor your primary IP as well as an addon IP.

Can you post the output of iptables -L -n and also dmesg

What are you running on this server? Is it just a basic OS or is there virtualisation involved? If virtualised, please post your interface configuration as well as your interface statistics on the host server as well as the VM involved.

Even with that being said, 3 days for support to replay is too long of wait. Should hire more support staff if you have so many clients / ticket backups.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited April 2014

Actually I spoke to the OP last evening and when I got a copy of his ticket the three days was absolute rubbish:

04/18/2014 11:21 New Ticket Response (by Delimiter Employee)

04/18/2014 01:11 New Ticket Response made by User

04/18/2014 00:27 New Ticket Response made by User

04/17/2014 13:28 Status changed to Closed (by Delimiter Employee)

04/17/2014 13:28 New Ticket Response (by Delimiter Employee)

04/17/2014 13:15 New Ticket Response made by User

04/17/2014 13:10 Status changed to Closed (by Delimiter Employee)

04/17/2014 13:10 New Ticket Response (by Delimiter Employee)

04/17/2014 13:01 New Support Ticket Opened

From ticket opened to response 9 minutes.
    Second response from customer to response from Delimiter 13 minutes.
    Third response from customer to response from Delimiter 10 hours 11 minutes (waiting on information from local DC)

Thats not 3 days for a response.

It actually turns out that the customer has not setup their networking properly, they've had two sizeable denial of service attacks against their teamspeak server. They have continual brute force attacks on their webserver and SSH server.

The reason their teamspeak connections dropped out was two IPs hammering their teamspeak server's port with 238,295 PPS and 46,785 PPS respectively.

So my point again stands, it was not our network at fault. It was simply that the customer has taken NO precautions against attack or has any monitoring in place to watch for their ports being attacked.

I've given the OP a number of recommendations to address their server problems, if they follow through on this then they wont have further issues.

But as with anyone running something like Teamspeak, if you don't secure it then you are going to have problems. Its like a DDOS magnet.

• Wiggles741Wiggles741 Member
    edited April 2014

Yes, mark did help me out with my server and gave some really good recommendations on how to fix the problem.

As for the 3 day response read below:
    I responded at 4/13/2014 23:41 - 04/16/2014 10:07 and I got a reply at this time because I specifically messaged mark on LET and they said in the ticket that mark highlighted for the ticket to be responded to. Ticket # 374530 if you want to check it. I responded again at 4/15/2014 16:56 to ask them for an update because it was going on the 2nd days and they still didn't respond.

(Sent from my phone)

• Ticket opened Saturday 12th April at 18:17 - in summary - what are my /29 subnet addresses
    Ticket responded Saturday 12th April at 18:55 - IP address provided (but note this was already provided in the welcome email)

At this point the question was answered and the ticket was closed.

Your next response Sunday 13th April at 13:37 - asking again for the subnet information that had already been provided in Delimiter's response

Delimiter response Sunday 13th April at 18:08 - reiterating the same as their first response but with more waffle around the original information

Again ticket closed

Your response Sunday 13th April at 19:13
    Their response Sunday 13th April at 20:01

At this point the ticket was marked as solved and closed. But you updated it again and asked them to fix your interfaces file. The ticket never appeared back in their queue.

You contacted me and I gave them the ticket number and they looked it up and found that you had now sent them your interfaces file and ask them to fix that too, it turned out that the interfaces file was incorrectly written by you and you had not enabled forwarding on your interface.

This is where you get into the line between managed and unmanaged servers. Delimiter's model is to sell a box and you have the expertise to set it up and maintain it. In your case you really need a managed service.

The information I gave you last week should have been the bare minimum you do on a server when setting it up and its absolutely not Delimiter's responsibility to provide management or consultancy.

Going forward you need hire a real server administrator to manage your server or use a managed server provider and pay the higher price.

• I am a novice at dedicated servers. I will admit that, but I've never had any problems with my interface file before. I am trying my best and learning a lot along the way. The other companies I use laid it out and explained it in much easier terms for what I would need to do for my additional IPS(in the original email sent for the dedi info). Therefore, I haven't had any issues in the past with this. I do not want to continue here because this is just throwing mud back and forth. So please do not respond in here unless you are contributing toward the main idea of this topic(finding another provider).

Thanks

(Sent from my phone)