Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for a VPN service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tips for a VPN service

0xdragon0xdragon Member
edited April 2014 in Help

Hey everyone :)

I have around 30 VPSs idling or being underutilized, so I think I should make a little money from them, perhaps?

I have a couple of questions for the community (who have a lot of experience) first:

1) Are there too many VPN services already?

2) Legal implications (I know you can be held liable in some cases etc.)?

3) What do people look for (special features?) with VPN services?

4) Torrenting: Block it wholesale or allow it in certain locations?

Notes:

• This will be a paid service, no free rides allowed :(

• Lots of exotic locations.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

If you have 30 VPS idling you should probably cancel some

(unless it is a Query Foundry VPS then you should renew it for a few extra years just to be safe)

Thanked by 2Gunter netomx
  • @Spirit @Mpkossen I cannot edit the title of the post. I get:

Error
    You must enter a valid poll title!

• @Fliphost said:
    If you have 30 VPS idling you should probably cancel some

(unless it is a Query Foundry VPS then you should renew it for a few extra years just to be safe)

What if I said they were all from QF >:D

• Ian_Ian_ Member
    edited April 2014

Well you need to contact the providers first for the vps's you have to see if they even allow a public proxy/vpn service.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

0xdragon said: What if I said they were all from QF >:D

I would be happy for that and concerned about the possibility of the abuse reports.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited April 2014

It really depends. There are a bunch of VPS providers out there, and they offer quality services. Whilst you would have to maintain a focus on your service quality as a VPN provider, this isn't the point that's going to make a difference. You should appeal to a certain niche, which is, I feel, the only way to succeed in a business where lots of different and solid providers are already established.

On the other hand, though, there are hardly any niches that you could appeal to in the VPN world. Those who value security will already have set up their own VPS, those who value privacy will already have chosen some company based in a country with strong privacy laws, and so forth. As a result, unless you make a truly miraculous business move that can set your VPN service apart, there's no real way to profit from this service. If there is, you won't magically get profit as soon as you launch it - it will take time and dedication.

Then finally, the issue that arises with time and dedication is that you would have to spend most of your time working on your service (moreso during the first few months, or years) - during this time can easily come legal trouble, as all VPN providers are known to face. Unless you start a company and thus become a registered legal entity with solid lawyers, then there is a long, rocky road ahead of you and your VPN service.

Meanwhile, note that your company would necessarily have to own its hardware, or at the very least lease it from a major entity (i.e. not an OVH sub-sub-reseller). The idea of running a whole public VPN service on VPS is one of its kind, but as @Ian_ remarked, it is unlikely that your VPS providers accept that in the first place.

My argument could be applied to a lot of other businesses and industries too. It might be a generic one, but it applies very well to the vast amount of people who want to start in the IT industry - and, as a matter of fact, you know it's true.

However, there's still the option of doing what I've suggested - register as a company, run a full-blown, proper service, etc -. You pointed out that an interesting feature could be exotic locations; why not, as long as you are ready to lease from datacenters there, and that the network uplinks are acceptable and give a decent connectivity to your end-users.

Though, let me be realistic and get back to your initial plan: no, running a VPN service on VPS is hardly feasible if at all, and there are enough VPN providers around.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

From my experience I'd say that exotic locations don't have that much of an impact, and (especially initially) wouldn't be worth the initial costs on your part.

I'd recommend getting setup with only a very small number of locations initially and make sure that you can maintain things without issue before growing out to your other locations.

Thanked by 2darkshire jimmyvu
  • MunMun Member

Most VPS providers do not allow public VPNs, but you might be able to get away if you only put a few users on each VPS and made sure you monitored the traffic for suspicious traffic.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@0xdragon said:

1) Are there too many VPN services already?

Are there too many shared hosting providers? Are there too many VPS providers?

2) Legal implications (I know you can be held liable in some cases etc.)?

That's part of doing business on the Internet.

>

3) What do people look for (special features?) with VPN services?

What I look for are the locations or actually a specific location.
    I "need" a Swedish connection while I'm on the road. I don't need a, lets say Romanian VPN but probably someone else will. If you can offer many locations more potential customers will be interested since you meet their requirements.

4) Torrenting: Block it wholesale or allow it in certain locations?

Depending on your personal stand on torrenting. It is your company. You should consider the pros and cons of allowing it but the decision is yours only.