Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Request: darker theme
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Forum Request: darker theme

gattyttogattytto Member
edited April 2014 in Requests

is there any way to darken LET theme? or a built-in theme that I can set somewhere?

My eyes start itching after a couple hours of surfing throught the forum.

Thanked by 1Fusl
This is a poll
  1. so, sub-title?135 votes
    1. I Agree
      60.74%
    2. I Disagree
      39.26%

Comments

• Fix poll.

• gattyttogattytto Member
    edited April 2014

poll fixed

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Surf whilst wearing those awesome sunglasses in your profile pic. You're welcome.

• @gattytto

www.justgetflux.com

• stylebot or stylish could do that.

• @Mark_R said:
    gattytto

www.justgetflux.com

+1 from me, not only for this forum but it is so much better for yourself anyway.

• ATHKATHK Member

The mobile theme isn't all that bad, dark blue header instead of green, still white errr where which is fine.

Theme selection would be nice also "night mode" theme could help us lurkers on both desktop and mobile.

• wychwych Member

I can't see them making a new theme for Vanilla forum right now.

• @wych said:
    I can't see them making a new theme for Vanilla forum right now.

they could just change the color codes i guess.

• wychwych Member

@Mark_R said:

"Why fix it if it aint broke?"

• I second they StyleBot above.

If you don't like a website style, then you can edit it to your liking with that plugin.

• @wych said:
    "Why fix it if it aint broke?"

Great one.

• There's this brightness button on your monitor you could use :-)

Thanked by 2rm_ alexvolk
  • A switchable theme, I would use the dark one at night when my eyes ate strained etc. Would be great. Supporting this suggestion!

• Flip dat' switch!

• alexhalexh Member
    edited April 2014

Using the Stylebot Chrome plug-in, and Kuler to find decent colors, it should be easy to create your own "dark" user style with some simple CSS:

body, div#Frame, div#Body, div.Tabs, div.DiscussionTabs, .Box, .BoxFilter {
        background: #2c3e50;
        color: #fff;
    }
    div.Head {
        background: #34495e;
    }
    .Read {
        background: #34495e;
    }
    code {
        color: #333;
    }
    a, a:visited {
        color: #e74c3c;
    }
    a:hover {
        color: #e67e22;
    }
    h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, span, ul, li, table {
    }
    .Head a {
    }
    .Head a:hover {
        color: #ddd;
    }

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I'm new here, but I think the colors are fine.

Could definitely be improved by being a little darker.

I see there are a few good themes on Vanilla Forums:

http://vanillaforums.org/addons

If you need help shoot me a message :)

Also may be because I'm new, but why the current color scheme? Is there any significance?

• I appreciate the ideas on generating a client-side solution, but I've been trying to darken all sites I surf to regularly, and most "google home image thingies" crash at some point, sice server-side has changed a comma in css code.

I still think is (partly) a solution, for my personal computer I could maintain it myself but what about public-friends computers.. etc (there are several cases where it applies).

As of now I can only think in a server-side solution since it'd be perfect to just have it set in my user settings for the site.

thanks to all for the input

• Think that's an awesome idea!

Everyone has their own preferences and given the choice to choose would be ideal.

• PwnerPwner Member

@gattytto said:
    I appreciate the ideas on generating a client-side solution, but I've been trying to darken all sites I surf to regularly, and most "google home image thingies" crash at some point, sice server-side has changed a comma in css code.

I still think is (partly) a solution, for my personal computer I could maintain it myself but what about public-friends computers.. etc (there are several cases where it applies).

As of now I can only think in a server-side solution since it'd be perfect to just have it set in my user settings for the site.

thanks to all for the input

No, just no. Instead of forcing everyone else to change, change yourself instead. It's a lot easier, will save a lot of stress and hassle, and it's right thing to do. To be honest, you really shouldn't be lurking around the same spot for more than an hour at a time. It's not healthy and will damage your vision in the long run if you don't take breaks. Making everyone else change for your negligence isn't right at all.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • I'd also like to share this link: http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/itsc/about/energysave.html about saving energy on monitors.

Not only the eyes benefit from a darker theme, nature does too :D

• alexhalexh Member

@gattytto said:
    I'd also like to share this link: http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/itsc/about/energysave.html about saving energy on monitors.

Not only the eyes benefit from a darker theme, nature does too :D

While I don't understand the purpose of doing this, I do understand that using third party add-ons to achieve this isn't the best solution.

There are 2 options that I can think of at this point: either use an RSS reader and style it accordingly, or use frames and some dynamic language, and insert your own CSS somewhere inside of the document.

• Or use a "Theme Switcher" for your users to choose.

I think that's the best solution.

Create a few simplistic versions of this default theme.

Then let the user apply that setting to their own account.

If you need help with this, I am happy to offer it.

Wouldn't be very difficult to add a few color schemes to this template.

The only semi-difficult part is introducing the option that applies it.

Thanked by 1gattytto
  • Change the LET theme? That sacrilege!

Thanked by 1gattytto
  • SunnSunn Member

Go on your PC and degrade the brightness.

• I think the LET theme is already good as it is. The green background is soothing to the eyes too.

Liam said: From a Medical point of view, you're meant to get up every hour and have a stretch and relax your eyes.

True story.

• yeah but the whole white background isn't quite pleasant to the eyes, neither is it the YELLOW eye-killing code-snippet

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • better beg John Bilbo.