Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously, why would I buy a VPS/Dedi from you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seriously, why would I buy a VPS/Dedi from you?

edited April 2014 in General
  1. If you tell your customers to protect against DDOS, yet you don't spend a few bucks on route 53 or cloudflare business- you have a credibility problem.
    1a. if your business isn't hosted on your own hardware- you have issues. You can at least have one of your multisite failover sites on your own hardware.
  2. if you answer PayPal disputes faster than you provision or answer support tickets, you have a credibility issue.
  3. If you post multiple times during the week including sniping at customers and other providers), but have an empty FAQ on your site or haven't added anything this week - you have a credibility issue.
  4. If you can't provision your VPS correctly and yet expect to have paying customers host their websites on it, you have a credibility issue and a reading comprehension issue.
  5. If you don't send at least one client an offer to help for every time you post something inane in here - you just don't know how to run a business.
  6. If you think companies should keep giving you stuff like email for free or trial vps- you don't understand business is to make money.
  7. If you are still signing up customers for monthly plans and wonder why your server is abused and a spam factory and you have huge turnover- well ask your customers why they are truly using your service.
  8. you can bash services like DO and Linode all you want. But you are competing against a $5 machine with terrific articles. And your choice to compete is to overload your nodes, bash other people on lowend talk and at least 2 other boards with high school drama, and have no instructions for you clients other than you should have done a,b,c so therefore I'm shitting you off.

It's really sad that many of you think this is proper. To me lowend talk should be where you can find cool tips for building a server correctly, cool tips for assisting clients, and instructions on great things to do with the VPS. Plus as an added bonus meet nice people around the world with passion for computers and other hobbies, not little dram inducers..

Pro tip to Company owners- easiest way to not get bashed on the boards is to actually answer support tickets promptly.

EDIT- regarding owned hardware- this is what I was referring to: I was referring to some providers hosting their sites on other providers servers. leased or owned it doesn't matter to me. When the don't have enough confidence in their own setup to put their own production site on it- that's a problem in my mind

Thanked by 2perennate World

Comments

• wychwych Member

Welcome to LET, I am sure you going to be welcomed with open arms...

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • if your business isn't hosted on your own hardware- you have issues. You can at least have one of your multisite failover sites on your own hardware.

Can you explain what difference does it make if you have leased hardware rather than owned? Pretty much makes no difference unless you have your own DC where you have your own rules.BUT TBH most of the companies I see performing better services are the ones who have leased servers from some hosting company(I am talking about hosting industry in general not just LET).

• It's when they host their main site (and support area) with another company that I get concerned that if they don't trust their own systems for internal use- that's an issue

• @Just_A_Noob said:
    It's when they host their main site (and support area) with another company that I get concerned that if they don't trust their own systems for internal use- that's an issue

Some people just aren't in a position to eat their own dog food.

• If you tell your customers to protect against DDOS, yet you don't spend a few bucks on route 53 or cloudflare business- you have a credibility problem.

What does this have to do with the service YOU are receiving? As long as your own VPS is ddos-protected, why do do care what the host is using for their own DNS?

if your business isn't hosted on your own hardware- you have issues. You can at least have one of your multisite failover sites on your own hardware.

The reason for hosting your website with another provider is so that in the event of service issues they can still communicate with their customers without having to resort to Facebook or Twitter.

if you answer PayPal disputes faster than you provision or answer support tickets, you have a credibility issue.

PayPal has a timeframe in which they will side with the customer due to non-response from the host, and in addition if they don't reply then they'll get whatever that amount is yanked out of their paypal account. This is likely more important to them then answering your support ticket about why you can't install wordpress.

If you post multiple times during the week including sniping at customers and other providers), but have an empty FAQ on your site or haven't added anything this week - you have a credibility issue.

Sometimes they deserve it.

If you can't provision your VPS correctly and yet expect to have paying customers host their websites on it, you have a credibility issue and a reading comprehension issue.

Define "provision correctly". With unmanaged service, as long as you have access to SolusVM (or whatever control panel) to mount an iso or are able to reinstall openvz templates then anything else is your responsibility.

If you don't send at least one client an offer to help for every time you post something inane in here - you just don't know how to run a business.

Again, unmanaged service.

If you think companies should keep giving you stuff like email for free or trial vps- you don't understand business is to make money.

Did you think about this one before you wrote it?

If you are still signing up customers for monthly plans and wonder why your server is abused and a spam factory and you have huge turnover- well ask your customers why they are truly using your service.

Looks like you didn't clearly articulate this sentence either.

you can bash services like DO and Linode all you want. But you are competing against a $5 machine with terrific articles. And your choice to compete is to overload your nodes, bash other people on lowend talk and at least 2 other boards with high school drama, and have no instructions for you clients other than you should have done a,b,c so therefore I'm shitting you off.

You do realize you're contributing to the problem, right?

It's really sad that many of you think this is proper. To me lowend talk should be where you can find cool tips for building a server correctly, cool tips for assisting clients, and instructions on great things to do with the VPS. Plus as an added bonus meet nice people around the world with passion for computers and other hobbies, not little dram inducers..

Again, you're contributing to the problem. Maybe if you posted something constructive you could have helped the issue.

Additionally, based on the date you joined, you've only been registered for 3 days. Do you really think that you can get a grasp on the community in a whole 3 days?

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Pwner
  • LeeLee Veteran

Sounds like someones had a bad experience and has SBS.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • This guy needs to be given $3 to spend at the candy store. Seriously.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited April 2014

@Just_A_Noob said:
    EDIT- regarding owned hardware- this is what I was referring to: I was referring to some providers hosting their sites on other providers servers. leased or owned it doesn't matter to me. When the don't have enough confidence in their own setup to put their own production site on it- that's a problem in my mind

Hosting off-net is just smart planning. If your network ever goes down for god knows what reason, if your support site is hosted on that same network, then your client's have no way to reach you.

Crissic hosts their primary billing portal off-net for this very reason. If our network goes down, or if something else happens to result in services being offline, I want my support area to still be reachable.

Route53 for DNS, Hosted exchange for email, Off-net hosted website.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2014

You don't, you buy from the managed $80 a month host that will hold your hand through everything and is always a phone call away :)

If it's clear a client has no clue how to run a server then it's the hosts job suggest that they might be looking at the wrong price range. Oh, and to keep stuff running smoothly...

• I hate it when my server/services are impacted and I cant get hold of the supplier because their systems are also hosted on the same affected platform. i understand all that about having confidence in your own systems/platforms etc but nothing is totally 100% available. having your website and support ticketing on someone elses network actually makes sense to me.

im new here and linux is not my strong suit but i can work thru most things given enough time. i would never host my hosting platform etc on a budget leb. im very happy paying way more because i get support when i need it 24/7. im experimenting with other things here and have deployed additional DNS and backup solutions to augment my main hosting. i also have several dedis now which im using for other learning and development. some of that is vendor trust, some is knowing my limitations.

i think the OP makes some good points, some ok points and some that i dont agree with but thats ok.

drama is unfortunate but some people seem to need some drama in their lives and seem to think that we will all benefit by sharing in their wonderful little soaps.

anyway - low end is different things to different people.

• I'm in agreement with @seaeagle!

I also agree with what @SkylarM said about hosting off site. I know a lot of companies that are fair in size that host their support / client and billing system off site for the very purpose of if something does happen, their clients have an available resource to them.

We all know everyone works to keep their services online, BUT if it happens, support for those clients is readily available and can avoid those issues of "not answering tickets" as you so strongly focused on in the OP.

Another valid reason is when a client becomes "blocked" by the server, they can still easily access the client area / support area in which they can get further assistance with. A valid reason for why I know a lot of small companies do this.

It's also - logically speaking - a good idea to host your client billing area off the main server your clients are on. Secure your clients information. Be respectful of it. I personally take all these things into consideration and always find it an advantage when I see companies I work with doing it as well.

Though each environment, each setup, has it's reasoning and purpose.