Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyCustomHosting - VM not booting / customers fault
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyCustomHosting - VM not booting / customers fault

tr1ckytr1cky Member

So apparently I have a problem with MyCustomHosting.
Let me summarize the process:

1. I get an email from MCH that they will do node reboots.
  2. An hour later I get another email that node reboots are now finished.
  3. I notice my VM isn't up and I try to boot it, but it doesn't.
  4. I open a ticket explaining the issue.
  5. Phil tells me it's an issue on my side and he can't do anything, because the vm is unmanaged. He suggests a reinstall to fix the issue.

So apparently the provider updates the node and afterwards some VMs (a friends VM doesn't boot either) don't boot anymore, I guess that's totally the customers fault.
I never had such problems with any other provider I've been with and Phil isn't even willing to look into the issue, instead he tells me I have to solve this myself (allthough VNC isn't working either, so how should I?)

Comments

• did you get console access? Because console is routed through master node so you might see the issue where your vm is clogged from booting.
    But 1 hour for node restart seems to be a bit of overkill

• @tr1cky said:
    So apparently I have a problem with MyCustomHosting.
    Let me summarize the process:

5. Phil tells me it's an issue on my side and he can't do anything, because the vm is unmanaged. He suggests a reinstall to fix the issue.

So apparently the provider updates the node and afterwards some VMs (a friends VM doesn't boot either) don't boot anymore, I guess that's totally the customers fault.
    I never had such problems with any other provider I've been with and Phil isn't even willing to look into the issue, instead he tells me I have to solve this myself (allthough VNC isn't working either, so how should I?)

If VNC isn't working it might suggest something beyond your control. Ensure that boot order etc are all fine. You might want to ask MCH if there are any errors with the domain (assuming KVM) during startup. Was VNC working for you before?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited April 2014

Okay, apparently after changing java security settings, vnc works.
    It now says:

"Booting from Floppy... Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device."

Boot device is hard disk.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

You changed the disk driver.

http://pastebin.com/YhDG7tdd

I can't handle all the variables you are asking me to for an unmanaged service. I made sure to have the node online. Sorry it seems a form completion plugin likely or etc changed the disk driver on your VM.

I was more than willing to look into the issue for you. I rebooted your VM. Checked VNC was working and even sent you a screenshot to show you what I was seeing. Connected to your VM's VNC.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

@tr1cky said:
    Okay, apparently after changing java security settings, vnc works.
    It now says:

"Booting from Floppy... Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device."

Boot device is hard disk.

Ask MCH to see if the image is being found when the domain starts. If using SolusVM they can do this quite easily using the debug boot option otherwise you can get the same info starting the domain from the command line.

• @MCHPhil Here we go again....:)

• @MCHPhil said:
    You changed the disk driver.

http://pastebin.com/YhDG7tdd

I can't handle all the variables you are asking me to for an unmanaged service. I made sure to have the node online. Sorry it seems a form completion plugin likely or etc changed the disk driver on your VM.

Yes, I did because I wanted to make sure every possible thing on my side is done before I ask you.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

The error is because you changed the disk driver. I don't know how that is my fault? That is VERY common error if you change it after the OS is installed. As I suggested, reinstall the VM.

• @MCHPhil said:
    The error is because you changed the disk driver. I don't know how that is my fault? That is VERY common error if you change it after the OS is installed.

It wasn't booting, so I changed the disk driver to see if it does then.

• irmirm Member
    edited April 2014

Yeah I was having issues with my VM after the node reboot also.

It was saying "Online" in SolusVM yet couldn't ping it or connect to it through SolusVM VNC or through SSH. Eventually after enough reboot/boot attempts in the SolusVM control panel and a "Reconfigure Network" attempt or two in the SolusVM control panel, I was able to access my VM via VNC and soon after via SSH which I guess is a success but leaves me wondering why it took so many attempts to get it going :l

• @irm said:
    Yeah I was having issues with my VM after the node reboot also.

It was saying "Online" in SolusVM yet couldn't ping it or connect to it through SolusVM VNC or through SSH. Eventually after enough reboot/boot attempts in the SolusVM control panel and a "Reconfigure Network" attempt or two in the SolusVM control panel, I was able to access my VM via VNC and soon after via SSH which I guess is a success but leaves me wondering why it took so many attempts to get it going :l

It is well known it can take a while to do a node reboot. As I stated in the email sent before this happened. Starting tons of VM's at once takes time. It isn't a 10 minute process. Likely your VM was still booting.

Thanked by 1CFarence
  • @tr1cky said:

Deja Vu.

• irmirm Member

MCHPhil said: It is well known it can take a while to do a node reboot. As I stated in the email sent before this happened. Starting tons of VM's at once takes time. It isn't a 10 minute process. Likely your VM was still booting.

I understand that and I wasn't trying to ping/boot my VM as soon as the node came back online.

I attempted to ping/access my VM 58 minutes after the second email was received (which is when I saw it) which was the email letting customers know that all nodes except "CA-VPS3" (which I am not on) were back online and that was when I ran into the issues I listed above.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited April 2014

@Virtovo said:
    Ask MCH to see if the image is being found when the domain starts. If using SolusVM they can do this quite easily using the debug boot option otherwise you can get the same info starting the domain from the command line.

In the state I am right now, with vnc showing "No bootable device" I can't even type anything into VNC (and yes, I changed the drivers back and it didn't resolve anything).
    Meanwhile a mate get's this (vm also not booting since node restarts were performed):

• @irm said:
    I attempted to ping/access my VM 58 minutes after the second email was received (which is when I saw it) which was the email letting customers know that all nodes except "CA-VPS3" (which I am not on) were back online and that was when I ran into the issues I listed above.

There may have been some confusion with that email. That is my fault. It was meant to be taken as the host nodes are up and things are good, minus work being performed on CA-VPS3. I was recompiling some modules for the newer kernels. This required about 5-7 minutes of work per node. CA-VPS3 hung on shutdown (after disks were unmounted) or I just became inpatient and rebooted it via IPMI hence the longer time it took to bring it back online. The auto start of the VM's was also performed on the nodes at that time. I should have added a time frame to the second email. I thought roughly 30-45 minutes but was not confident enough to quote a timeframe.

Thanked by 1irm
  • MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

@Virtovo said:

There are no errors on loading his VM. His image is found and active.

lvdisplay /dev/vg_kvm/kvm671_img

--- Logical volume ---

LV Path /dev/vg_kvm/kvm671_img

LV Name kvm671_img

VG Name vg_kvm

LV UUID lxcycm-4VN2-lOb2-Gl9a-U9kX-kJ12-G1xfs1

LV Write Access read/write

LV Creation host, time 2-99-16.net, 2014-03-28 20:18:16 -0400

LV Status available

# open 1

LV Size 10.00 GiB

Current LE 2560

Segments 1

Allocation inherit

Read ahead sectors auto

- currently set to 256

Block device 253:122

• @tr1cky said:

@tr1cky said:

I'd still ask for the host to do as I said before; however in the interim; have you and/or your friend tried booting a liveCD and inspecting the disk?

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

@Virtovo said:
    I'd still ask for the host to do as I said before; however in the interim; have you and/or your friend tried booting a liveCD and inspecting the disk?

I suggested booting a recovery ISO, they are provided for these reasons.

• @mchphil

isn't it just easier to fix it for him instead of dealing with all those comments? either way it consumes your time.

• Ian_Ian_ Member

Yea boot the vps with a rescue disk with g parted to see if any of the partitions are showing up. If any of the partitions are showing up trying doing a re install of grub (assuming its linux) to restore your mbr. Sometimes not powering off the vm's manually before a reboot can cause problems like this. Yes i seen it happen to me a couple times where I didn't manually power off all the vps's before I rebooted one of my nodes.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited April 2014

@Ian_ said:
    Yea boot the vps with a rescue disk with g parted to see if any of the partitions are showing up. If any of the partitions are showing up trying doing a re install of grub (assuming its linux) to restore your mbr. Sometimes not powering off the vm's manually before a reboot can cause problems like this. Yes i seen it happen to me a couple times where I didn't manually power off all the vps's before I rebooted one of my nodes.

Nope, no partition there.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

My KVM is also still down and it was not the first time and he told me the same: I need to reboot it by myself because auto reboot failed.

• @Infinity580 said:
    My KVM is also still down and it was not the first time and he told me the same: I need to reboot it by myself because auto reboot failed.

And does it boot?

It does boot but network is broken.

• Did someone already un-mount the disk image, and change the boot option from CD to Harddisk?

• Yes, I did, while my vm still has no partition at all, a friends vm at mch seems to be pretty corrupted, fsck is showing thousands of errors.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

@tr1cky said:
    Yes, I did, while my vm still has no partition at all, a friends vm at mch seems to be pretty corrupted, fsck is showing thousands of errors.

Your friend's VPS sounds like it didn't shutdown before the node reboot.

• @Virtovo said:

Oh, and I guess that's a problem the client has to solve, right? Because it's totally caused by the client -.-'

edited April 2014

@ErawanArifNugroho you cant boot from DVD? oh i didnt know that

Sorry for my sarcasim but i am a bit pissed atm Yes Harddisk is first in boot order and the DVD is not mounted. Idk how the network can broke at reboots on KVM's and i got told reinstall it ....

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

tr1cky said: Oh, and I guess that's a problem the client has to solve, right? Because it's totally caused by the client -.-'

I'm trying to help here.

This discussion has been closed.