Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which region has the most content on Netflix?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which region has the most content on Netflix?

iceTwyiceTwy Member
edited April 2014 in General

With the fourth season of Game of Thrones that has begun yesterday, the idea of getting a VPN somewhere that has access to Netflix is getting really tempting.

I've heard that Netflix does not provide the same content in all of their regions, because of copyright issues in certain territories. I've tried out Netflix in the US and, indeed, it lacked quite a lot of movies (especially from Warner Bros, if I recall correctly).

Apparently, Canada and the Netherlands are the two most privileged places regarding content availability. Can anyone confirm this?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I know Netflix is on Mexico, US, Canada, and on the UK. Is the NL Netflix good?

Mexico has bad TV series and movies, a lot from Mexico itself.
    US has good content.
    Canada has a lot of TV series (as I recall)
    UK has good UK movies

• I'm pretty sure US has the most content available.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Dunno about Canada. I had to use torrens to get the 2nd half of Breaking Bad and it appeared about 3 months later on .ca netflix.

UK does have significantly different content on it, my partner likes a lot of British TV which is on the .uk version. Ultimately it depends on your viewing tastes... vpn.sh who advertises here is so cheap it's worth just buying that and having a look.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2014

@iceTwy said:
    With the fourth season of Game of Thrones that has begun yesterday, the idea of getting a VPN somewhere that has access to Netflix is getting really tempting.

Game of Thrones isn't on Netflix anywhere. It's an HBO show and HBO only puts their content on HBO Go.

Thanked by 1Kerberos
  • @Dylan said:
    Game of Thrones isn't on Netflix anywhere. It's an HBO show and HBO only puts their content on HBO Go.

Still needs the VPN

HBO GO® is only accessible in the U.S. Minimum 3G connection is required for viewing on mobile devices. Some restrictions may apply. ©2014 Home Box Office, Inc. All rights reserved. HBO® and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc.

• @netomx said:
    I know Netflix is on Mexico, US, Canada, and on the UK. Is the NL Netflix good?

Mexico has bad TV series and movies, a lot from Mexico itself.
    US has good content.
    Canada has a lot of TV series (as I recall)
    UK has good UK movies

In terms of content, NL is pretty bad. US is number 1 in netflix content I think.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • We bounce between Canadian and American (U.S.) Netflix. Together they have a huge selection of content. Use a VPN provider that has gateways in U.S. and Canada and you will have tons of shows to watch.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • PwnerPwner Member

Netflix was founded in Scotts Valley, CA (USA). Which country would seriously have the greatest selection? It's gotta be the US. We've got the most crap to publish!

• I'm from Canada and my impression (from comparing with a friend in the US) is that Netflix Canada is missing a LOT of content that the US has. It's almost disappointing how little there is in comparison.

• We have less selection in terms of movies, but our TV selection generally kicks ass. We have Downtown Abbey and Avatar: The Last Airbender, suck it.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@darknyan said:
    We have less selection in terms of movies, but our TV selection generally kicks ass. We have Downtown Abbey and Avatar: The Last Airbender, suck it.

Where in WE ?

• @netomx said:
    Where in WE ?

Canada :)

How foolish to forget to add that.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Based on my limited experience with accessing Netflix (US and CA), Netflix CA has a better TV selection, while Netflix US is in a league of its own with regards to number and variety of movies.

• DylanDylan Member

jeffreywinters said: Still needs the VPN

You have to subscribe to HBO through your US television provider to use HBO Go so unless you have US TV service and are just temporarily in another country a VPN isn't going to do you any good.

• Well I'd rather go for a personal VPN instead of services such as vpn.sh (that's a matter of taste!). Are there some hosts on the Eastern Coast (especially NY) known to have great peering towards Western Europe/France?

• nunimnunim Member

There's no way Canadian Netflix has the most content, my guess would be American Netflix. Canadian Netflix has a lot less, at least TV show wise, compared to US Netflix, if there's 8 Seasons in US then we'll have like 3 available in Canada.

• @nunim said:
    There's no way Canadian Netflix has the most content, my guess would be American Netflix. Canadian Netflix has a lot less, at least TV show wise, compared to US Netflix, if there's 8 Seasons in US then we'll have like 3 available in Canada.

Quality over quantity.

• nunimnunim Member

@darknyan said:
    Quality over quantity.

I never found Corner Gas to be very high quality. US has all of Voyager + TNG +DS9, Canada doesn't.

• RamiRami Member
    edited April 2014

@iceTwy USA of course has the most contents

• UmcookiesUmcookies Member
    edited September 2015

@emjenny said:
    USA

Did you even look at how old this thread was before posting?

NINJA EDIT: To add something to the thread while I'm here, I personally use this to see what's where on netflix. Quite handy if I do say so.
    https://flixsearch.io/

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Umcookies said: NINJA EDIT: To add something to the thread while I'm here, I personally use this to see what's where on netflix. Quite handy if I do say so.

https://flixsearch.io/

Good find. Tells you right there who has the most content too :)

• I heard Argentina has lots of stuff, but I havent tried it myself.

• USA has a lot but so does NL although UK has a reasonable amount US/NL are by far in the lead

• Well, it's funny because Netflix (themselves) told me to use a VPN and sign-up on the US side all because I said that I was not satisfied with the crappy selection on the Canadian Netflix.